1 of 6
EfeNDy’s Diffused Illumination (DI) Multitouch Table
Posted: 06 October 2008 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-06
Total Posts:  108

Hi
I’ve been a member since June and I believe nuigroup is one of the best forum communities I ‘ve ever seen.
I thank creators of this forum, everybody for sharing all the valuable info with me and especially Fairlane for his great help with everything through pm’s.

I am planning to develop applications with my table eventually. First of all i need to learn some flash and AS3 though :D

Box:
My table’s dimensions are roughly 60cm(l)x80cm(h)x60cm(w) and screen size is around 60cmx45cm roughly again.
Box is made up of 12mm MDF from bunnings. One of my graphic designer friends donated the vinyl and other one covered
the box with it which gives a smooth glossy finish.

Screen/Diffuser: I used acrylic and white plastic table cloth as a diffuser and projection surface from Warehouse in Melbourne.
I tried clear frosted film and frosted glass but I think this table cloth thing is better projection wise. I’ll try different materials in the future and report here.

Projector: Projector is Sharp Xr-10x. I bought it with a burnt lamp then changed
the bulb with a new one from china which costs 50$ shipped smile. this bulb has 60-70% brightness of the original. you get 100% brightness with most projectors though.

IR Illuminators: I used 4x of 48 led illuminators from china bought a 12V 2A power supply with 4 outputs. I think I’ll get another one to illuminate
the center which should give better coverage.

Camera:
I used Xbox live vision cam after Fairlane’s suggestion. It’s very easy to remove the filter. I used 2 layers of exposed film.

Mirror:
Mirror is a 4$ mirror from warehouse. it makes ghosting but not that much.

Fans:
two 120mm fans. one is intake the other is out-take smile (what is the word?) smile
I know I need grilles for them smile

the box is also 4 wheel drive with four furniture wheels from bunnings smile

Computer: it’s an intel E4300 (1.86ghz) overlocked to 2.7ghz (you could go up to 3.2ghz, but heats thing up smile)
2gb ram and nvidia geforce 7600gt graphix card connected thorough dvi to vga adapter.

Touchlib screen capture:

touchlibik2.jpg

The Table:

pa070666iu5.jpg

Inside the Box:

pa070664xb6.jpg

Table cloth I bought from warehouse (it’s a supermarket chain)

pa070662sn8.jpg

And the Video showing inside the box and some applications running:
Sorry no audio or a song at the moment will come later on smile

This should take you to the better quality video.

it might take a little bit to load. Also you could try normal version below.

Normal Version:

File Attachments
photos.zip  (File Size: 1678KB - Downloads: 977)
 Signature 

My Diffused Illumination Setup

Unfortunately I’m selling my MT table as I have to finish my PhD and have no time to play with/improve it.

this is the thread for people who might be interested in: http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/6809/

Posted: 06 October 2008 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-21
Total Posts:  18

Damn, your table looks good. I want mine to be like yours grin..

I can’t see your camera, how did you mount it and where?
Edit… Now I see it on the video grin

Ferrari_man

Posted: 06 October 2008 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-03
Total Posts:  88

It looks amazing :D but uhm, u said u used white plastic tablecover as projection material, but I reckon it’s half transparent then? The projection you’re getting looks amazing! Btw, those fans just come with a plug or do you connect em to the computer?

Keep up the good work :D

Posted: 06 October 2008 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-08
Total Posts:  77

Congrats your blobs look great for a DI setup. Those were some pretty cool IR arrays that you had there

Signature 

~Jessey Zepeda~
My BLOG

Posted: 06 October 2008 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-04
Total Posts:  676

Hey there Efendy, I’m always happy to help! wink

congrats on the table it’s very smooth and responsive!

I’m glad everything worked out for you and your idea of using the table cloth is fantastic!

Oh and thanks for adding POP!mt in your video tongue wink hehe Well done mate!

Signature 

Get Sparked at sparkon.net
ORION Multi-Touch Display (blog)
My YouTube

Posted: 06 October 2008 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-06

Hey
Thank you for all the nice comments guys!
@ferrari_man: Thank you, sure you’ll build a much better table smile

@kneli: yes the table cloth is kind of semi transparent. It’s very thin. with my projector I dont need another layer. but somebody could use two layer with a brighter projector.
Fans are computer fans i cut off the plugs and connected both dirrectly to a 12V power adapter.

@bassmang5: thanks! I am lucky that I found this table cloth, it made things easier and cheaper!

@Fairlane: Hey Fairlane, thanks for your comments. I thank you for making these games! if you can, give this table cloth a try, I might think it’s good but I dont have any experience with other materials like rosco or vellum.

Cheers

Signature 

Unfortunately I’m selling my MT table as I have to finish my PhD and have no time to play with/improve it.

this is the thread for people who might be interested in: http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/6809/

Posted: 06 October 2008 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-04
Total Posts:  676

Yeah I’m gonna buy the cloth tonight or tomorrow, looks like you’re on a winner with this stuff! wink

Signature 

Get Sparked at sparkon.net
ORION Multi-Touch Display (blog)
My YouTube

Posted: 06 October 2008 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-06
Fairlane - 06 October 2008 11:29 PM

Yeah I’m gonna buy the cloth tonight or tomorrow, looks like you’re on a winner with this stuff! wink

Thanks Fairlane. If it turns out to be good and useful, I could start a new thread for the cloth. It’s made in USA so all the community would benefit. But I am still cautious. may be because I am a scientist smile
cheers

Signature 

Posted: 07 October 2008 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

Look great EfeNDy smile

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 07 October 2008 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-09
Total Posts:  2

Hi EfeNDy,

Congrats on building an impressive box. My box, though smaller, looks a little like yours! smile See my box at http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/2989/

One curious question:

I believe that the hp filter is a rather cpu-intensive filter. Are you using a fast PC to achieve the the superb responsiveness?

Posted: 07 October 2008 03:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-06

@cerupcat, thank you seth, glad you liked it!
@jiarong, thank you! yes they do look same indeed! I should have added my pc specs as well smile it’s an ok pc. it’s a core 2 E4300 overclocked to 2.7ghz (normally 1.86ghz) 2gig ram and a nvidia geforce 7600. I used touchlib out of the box. I might try alex’s cpu fix though.
cheers

Signature 

Posted: 07 October 2008 04:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-15
Total Posts:  62

Wow, congrats EfeNDysmile The table looks great and very responsive! Very well done!smile

Signature 

~ The future is here, and it’s not an Iphone. It’s a big ass table ~

Posted: 07 October 2008 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-21
Total Posts:  18

Hey

I tried a lose setup to today just to see if I could get any blobs at all and it seem to be okay (I tried with frosted film, because I had it already made from another project)

Did you calculate your table after the camera or do you use any software to zoom or something. I thought it was a little hard too adjust, when to only want it to see the glass.

Another thing would you recommened the white plastic table cloth you use, I know the have it at my local hardware shop as well? My projector gives a lot of light, it almost blinds me so I adjust the contrast to make it fit better..

Ferrari_man

Posted: 07 October 2008 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-10
Total Posts:  104

Nice work - really slick!

Posted: 07 October 2008 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-06
Total Posts:  58

Does it work well in light from fluorescents or other normal indoor lighting?

Posted: 07 October 2008 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-06

@ferrari_man, my camera doesnt see around 2-3cm of left of the screen so i adjust the border in the touchlib as a temporary solution. your case is opposite. I am not too sure about this but it shouldnt matter if it sees sides of the table along with the screen. it should detect the blobs on the screen. dont forget to do background extraction by pressing the B though.
If it’s too bright you could try using two layers of what you are using. To me, the table cloth I use is a very good projection and diffusion surface but as I said before I havent tried any material other than frosted glass before. So i cant compare, and it might differ projector to projector. I am waiting for Fairlane’s opinion on the material as he’s gonna try that as well.
I found the producers web site: http://www.favors.com/. on the barcode it says: 62 BRIGHT WHITE #5095
But I suggest you to wait till some other people try this table cloth too.

@Nade, Glad you liked it, thanks!

@rileydutton, I havent tried it in a well lit room or with fluorescent lighting. I’ll try and report here.  thanks

Cheers

Signature 

1 of 6