2 of 6
EfeNDy’s Diffused Illumination (DI) Multitouch Table
Posted: 08 October 2008 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-06
Total Posts:  108

Hi an update here:
I just tried my table in a well lit room with 75W normal bulb. it works like a treat! I couldnt spot any differences lights on or off. Touchlib was calibrated when it was dark.
I’ll try to try halogen or fluorescent lamps as well.
I am using 2layers of exposed negatives. so it would be my new find table cloth. I think it safe to say that this table cloth is great for both diffusion and projection as our Melbournian admin Fairlane tried it and found it very good too. I’ll make another thread for this table cloth in projection materials section as another diffusion/projection surface.
cheers

Signature 

My Diffused Illumination Setup

Unfortunately I’m selling my MT table as I have to finish my PhD and have no time to play with/improve it.

this is the thread for people who might be interested in: http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/6809/

Posted: 08 October 2008 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-04
Total Posts:  676

Yeah Efendy’s right, the table cloth acts as a really good projection surface and is a nice cheap option for a diffusion material as well. (Great for AUD$2 )

I also tried the material (1 layer) with the lights on, and even though the table is directly under a 75W light, the results were very good.
It all depends on how much IR you are emitting however, (DI in my case and a fair amount of light wink ) when you’re talking about DI in a well-lit room.

Overall nice picture using the cloth. I’ll try and post some photos too soon…

Nice find Efendy! Thanks for your contribution and keep us posted with your results!

Signature 

Get Sparked at sparkon.net
ORION Multi-Touch Display (blog)
My YouTube

Posted: 17 October 2008 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-13
Total Posts:  6

Hi EfeNDy,

nice setup and thanks for the detailed description! That was very helpful.

Did I saw it correctly that you’ve put the table cloth (BTW: great idea with the table cloth grin ) under the glass/acrylic?

Regarding the accuracy of touching objects, how is this working with this setup? I am asking since other setups mostly have the projection surface on top of the glass/acrylic layer, where you then point directly on the projected objects.

And I am assuming that you have a second layer of glass/acrylic to keep the cloth tight?

Thanks!

Posted: 17 October 2008 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-06

Hey
Glad you liked it!
As far as I know in all of the Diffused Illumination setups, diffuser/projection surface is under the acrylic. No, actually I stretched the table cloth to the sides using some sticky tape. so acrylic and table cloth under that.
hope this helps

Btw, I bought some tracing paper. I’ll try to do some comparisons between table cloth and tracing paper. I want to test ambient IR transparencies of them mostly.
cheers

Signature 

Unfortunately I’m selling my MT table as I have to finish my PhD and have no time to play with/improve it.

this is the thread for people who might be interested in: http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/6809/

Posted: 17 October 2008 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-12
Total Posts:  1120

Great Work mate!!, nice to see Dick Smith Electronics in your box… I have that exact same variable adapter rasberry

Signature 

Company Website - Knode Research and Development
My Youtube

Posted: 17 October 2008 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-06

Hehe
Thanks Taha, glad you liked it. we had a very nice guy in our local Dicksmith electronics, he used to do great discount :D but now he opened his own business so no more discounts smile btw, you have very good eyes, how did you guess it’s from dicksmith :D

Signature 

Posted: 17 October 2008 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-13
Total Posts:  6

Thanks again!

I attached a picture from http://iad.projects.zhdk.ch/multitouch/ there is the diffusor layer ontop of the glass, also for FTIR.

I assumed that approach was correct, but always wondered how the projection material would look like after heavy usage. To have it beneath the glass makes more sense to me, due to the fact that it is not wearing out! And you have only to clean the glass…

Image Attachments
sheme_di_web.jpg

Posted: 17 October 2008 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-06

Yeah, you’re right material would wear out very easily. Also when you have the diffuser on top it makes a lot of IR hotspots. may be that’s why a lot of people use it under.
cheers

Signature 

Posted: 17 October 2008 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-12

I didnt guess i knew i have a lot of stuff from dick smith at home… and when i saw that adapter i was like shiiit noway. i knew inherently.

Signature 

My Youtube

Posted: 17 October 2008 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-06

Yeah, good stuff. still confusing though I thought dse was in Australia only :D

Signature 

Posted: 17 October 2008 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-12

Haha i am from Aus, Sydney to be exact… i got the adapter while i was living there i moved to Tornoto canada only 3yrs ago…

Signature 

My Youtube

Posted: 17 October 2008 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-06

That’s great then! we have two aussie admins :D

Signature 

Posted: 17 October 2008 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-04
Total Posts:  676

Hehe wink

Signature 

Get Sparked at sparkon.net
ORION Multi-Touch Display (blog)
My YouTube

Posted: 19 October 2008 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-01
Total Posts:  74

Nice work!  Your suggestion about the tablecloth was *immensely* helpful to me.  I needed a diffuser behind my LCD screen to even out the backlight.  Tracing paper was too textured and you could see the roughness through the screen anywhere there was white.  When I read this post I ran out to the dollar store and bought a cheap white tablecloth like yours.  The result is beautiful!  Perfect diffusion and I can’t see any kind of texture through the screen!

Also, I was wondering what material the outside of your case is made out of?  I like the glossy piano-black look and have been searching for materials.  So far I have only found glossy black formica countertop that I could use ... but if you have a suggestion from what you used that would be great smile

Keep up the great work!

Signature 

Elemental Multitouch Project ~ http://eleme.ntal.ws/

Posted: 19 October 2008 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-06

Hey Ignigena,
It’s great news that table cloth worked for you too :D yeah, that must be the same thing as my table cloth has got same features. no texture, good diffusion, good projection.
I used vinyl donated by a graphic designer friend and the other one working in the sign business covered the table with it. it’s a very thin sticky material and comes in many glossy and matte colors. graphic people get it cut in a vinyl cutter machine to make sign and banner letters. If you were in Aus, we could sort something out but you’re probably not smile

A note: This vinyl thing is not very suitable for public use (especially children :D) I guess coz it’s thin. people could cause cuts and damage. but you could add a layer of lamination on that so it becomes much more robust.
cheers

Signature 

2 of 6