2 of 2
Building TouchLib for Ubuntu Fiesty (7.04)
Posted: 22 March 2008 02:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-11
Total Posts:  253

nullpuppy

did you get any flash application running and getting multitouches?

Signature 

My Blog: http://zviangi.blogspot.com with pictures and videos ....text in Georgian
22" LCD DSI coffee table
58" DI Table
FTIR table (my 1st) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR90jjZNs8s

Posted: 22 March 2008 03:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-11
Total Posts:  9

I have not tried that yet, partially because my input isn’t really usable yet.  I have a bit of refinement to do first with my setup so I can get consistent input from the webcam. I don’t have much for LED’s setup yet, so far i’ve only been testing with a couple hooked up to batteries. I hope to rectify this tomorrow and get something at least semi-usable.

Posted: 22 March 2008 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-04-03
Total Posts:  241

The segfault problem is know, it a opencv bug.

The main reason you dont see those camera input dialogs is because we disabled that by default (debugmode is off in the src). Those camera/filter dialogs actually cause the segfault.

Signature 

My multitouch blog: http://www.multigesture.net
Howto: Compile touchlib on windows XP/Vista
Howto: Compile touchlib on Ubuntu Linux
Downloads: Touchlib SVN builds

Posted: 22 March 2008 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-11

Ah, ok. That gives me somewhere to start at least wink

And as far as the camera input dialogs being disabled… when i run sample/configapp from the src dir, i can see the output from the camera.  I don’t see the output from the touch demo. As I’ve been looking around and experimenting, that could be, as you said, disabled, or could be the lack of a config. I haven’t figured that part out yet.

Posted: 22 March 2008 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-04-03
Total Posts:  241
nullpuppy - 22 March 2008 04:50 PM

Ah, ok. That gives me somewhere to start at least wink

And as far as the camera input dialogs being disabled… when i run sample/configapp from the src dir, i can see the output from the camera.  I don’t see the output from the touch demo. As I’ve been looking around and experimenting, that could be, as you said, disabled, or could be the lack of a config. I haven’t figured that part out yet.

fyi I help fixing bugs in touchlib, the camera inputs/filterdialogs are disabled on purpose in all applications but the config app (where you actually need them).

just look for these lines in the src:

ITouchScreen *screen;
screen = TouchScreenDevice::getTouchScreen();
screen->setDebugMode(false);

if you set the debug mode to TRUE, the iput/filterdialogs will appear.

Signature 

My multitouch blog: http://www.multigesture.net
Howto: Compile touchlib on windows XP/Vista
Howto: Compile touchlib on Ubuntu Linux
Downloads: Touchlib SVN builds

Posted: 22 March 2008 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-11

Alright, excellent. I should be able to help out with touchlib in the near future.  I don’t expect to have much progress this weekend as my main focus right now is hardware hacking and getting my input setup working. After that’s set, I can get started on making touchlib work better.

Posted: 14 April 2008 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-16
Total Posts:  87

I’m getting this error, but everything else works fine.

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/local/lib/libfftw.a’, needed by `demos/smoke/smoke’.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [demos/smoke/CMakeFiles/smoke.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Signature 

EasterIsland, LLC.
My Signature Quote

Posted: 20 May 2008 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-17
Total Posts:  92

I think this is an easy question, I’m new to linux because I just want to get the multi-touch going, and so far no luck on the mac. I’m a bit over my head here but I think I’m close. I installed ubuntu 8.04 hardy heron and used these instructions - maybe that’s my problem? I’m running this with parallels on a mac, so I’m wondering if that could be causing problems too.

http://www.multigesture.net/articles/touchlib-compiling-instructions-ubuntu/

1. I’m asuming you have a clean installation of Ubuntu 7.04
2. First install the dependencies:
# sudo apt-get install cmake libcv1 libcvaux1 libcv-dev libcvaux-dev libglut libglut-dev fftw-dev g++ libxmu-dev libglut3-dev subversion
3. Now to install osc, checkout the latest version on the SVN:
# svn co https://www.smartelectronix.com:9000/repos/osc/oscpack/trunk/ [yourdirname]
(or you could get the source oscpack_1_0_2.zip)
# make
# sudo make install
4. Now compile touchlib:
# mkdir touchlib
# cd touchlib
# svn checkout http://touchlib.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ .
# cmake . (or “ccmake .” if you want a GUI)
# make
5. Touchlib should now be ready to use.

Anyway, all goes well until step 4. I type in

cmake -i

and get

CMake Error: The source directory “/touchlib_files/touchlib” does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt

What is in there is CMakeCache.txt, CMakeFiles and trunk.

I’m not sure why this would be since everything else seemed to work and like I said I’ma little out of my league here so I’m not sure where to begin troubleshooting this. I think it should be simple. I installed to a folder called /touchlib_files/ maybe I should have put it somewhere else?

Please don’t make me install windows!

Signature 

Nuigroup wiki

Posted: 17 June 2008 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-17
Total Posts:  5

I’d already compiled the touchlib and it works, but my table with IR LED is not working as well I wish, then I made one miniMT( http://ssandler.wordpress.com/MTmini/ ), and liked the result I got, but I don’t know how to make the touchlib work with the negative capture, like it does on the package for windows that they have at the site. Some ideas about it???

thanks

santo

Posted: 21 June 2008 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-21
Total Posts:  5

i built a pad and i compiled it without problems (svn didn’t work, so i’d download files from browser)

but how to use it? :D

Posted: 15 December 2008 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-12-10
Total Posts:  209

Has anyone tried to complile touchlib in linux recently?  Looks like the last update to the source was 2007-11-06

I’m running Debian, have all the libs installed per the previous ubuntu instructions in this thread ( Ubuntu ~= Debian + pretty wink )

cmake . goes off without a hitch, running make gets about 75% through, then starts spewing warnings about deprecated conversions from string constant to char *, eventually failing with:

Linking CXX executable configapp
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../lib/libhighgui.soundefined reference to `img_convert'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [src/configapp] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/configapp.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Just curious if anyone’s tried recently and has an idea what to change?

Signature 

22” LLP-LCD ftw
TUIO Smoke (Windows / Linux) - http://projects.edencomputing.com/projects/tuiosmoke

Posted: 17 January 2009 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-12-10

LOL.. I just did a lot of google-diving on that img_convert error and eventually ended up back at my own post.

For anyone interested - img_convert is a depricated function in ffmpeg/av codecs, which was removed entirely in the ffmpeg / avicodec packages from Marillat’s debian-multimedia packages.

SO, if you’re running Debian testing/sid and using debian-multimedias.org’s package repository, you’ll have to downgrade libavcodec to get touchlib to compile properly.

libavcodec51 (0.svn20080206-15) is the version that worked for me, you’ll have a lot of dependencies to clean up if you need to downgrade wink

Signature 

22” LLP-LCD ftw
TUIO Smoke (Windows / Linux) - http://projects.edencomputing.com/projects/tuiosmoke

Posted: 03 September 2009 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-08-31
Total Posts:  11

is it just me, or I can’t get this to work? i’m trying to get this to work on ubunto and nothing happens, there are always some weird criptic errors no one understands except for those linux gurus. I love linux, don’t get me wrong, but I hate the gurus, who assume you already have the linux knowledge from birth, well I don’t, and nobody does. it’s because of people like that, that don’t teach or explain things, that linux is not used by far more people. On the other hand,microsoft, no matter how lame their OS is, it’s more plain and simple, and tutorials are easy to get and do, while with linux, most of the tutorials an instructions I find, are all half made, or a complete confusion of gibberish code lines with no explanation whatsoever because people assume you already know what to do. Well, I don’t. In fact, many people don’t. sorry if I sound rude, but I allmost kicked the living hell out of my computer and nearly had a nervous breackdown in school with my IT teachers, and we came up with a solution: windows. I would appreciate some help, honest-to-god, plain simple help.please… I don’t wanna go microsoft on my project, but I gess I’ll have to.once again, sorry if I’m being rude. compliments from Portugal.

Posted: 03 September 2009 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-12-10

No offence teurminho - but multitouch and linux isn’t exactly a mainstream combination.  I’d be willing to bet almost anybody who is trying to get multi-touch working in linux has scoured these forums themselves.

We’re all trudging through it piece by piece ourselves, and I doubt any of us consider ourselves gurus.  That said, the best way to get help is to ask a question, not assault the posters who are here to help.

If you’ve got a specific error, say, compiling a program, we’d like to know what the error is, what kind of system / OS combo you’re using, what compiler, etc.

Again, no offense, but if you don’t know the answers to those questions, it’s impossible to help.  Not that we wouldn’t want to, but there are so many variables involved that all we’d be able to do is take an educated guess, likely getting you nowhere.

If you want a quick-to-setup, ‘reliable’, and more well supported MT experience, Windows is your better option.

If you’re willing to trudge through the mud and really get dirty trying to get things to work from scratch, Linux is great, and we’d be happy to help.  All you need to do is ask.

Signature 

22” LLP-LCD ftw

Posted: 04 September 2009 04:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-08-31
Total Posts:  11

no offence taken cicada,and I’m not complaining about the guys on this forum, but the linux community in general, every time I try to solve a problem via a tutorial, it just brings me more troubles, and when I search the net for help, it gets me nowhere. I love Linux, I really do, but it’s really hard to get things going with it, and the linux people just don’t help. I don’t blame them, I have the same problem on explaining, I can’t get anybody to understand what I’m saying, but the problem, the ones I call gurus I talk about, are not on this forum, but on the official distro sites, the ones who are supposed to give tech support to users, only give it in an advanced user perspective. Lets say linux is not newbie friendly, and it should be. Here in Portugal the government has a Technological project for students, giving every student a laptop for 150 euros (about 100 USD) and they have as OS choice Windows Vista or Linux Magic Box (a Portuguese distro based on Mandriva), but there is no help, info or documentation easily available to the kids or grownups who choose this OS as an alternative to Microsofts expensive software, besides, freeware is being more and more used by companies, but schools don’t give proper Linux teaching to their technicians (I’m in a IT course and I have to teach my teachers the very little I know about Linux), and so, there is something terribly wrong with the people behind this great OS. So I have no other choice but go Windows on this project, and I hate it. I think Linux is more visually spectacular as a MT interface, has a greater variety of software and it gives you the freedom to tweak it at your own needs. looks like I’ll have to wait for a Linux Touch OS, and use Mr. Gates’s software (GRRRRRRRRRRR). once again, I’m sorry, didn’t want to offend anybody, but at the time I made my post, I was at the edge of a nervous breakdown, and I was a little hasty on the subject.Sorry if I’m off topic, and thanks a million cicada, and all you guys here at the forum. NUI rocks, and that’s it.
Once again, sorry I’ll hit myself with a rock later(lol).

2 of 2