LCD Recommendation
Posted: 07 November 2008 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-07
Total Posts:  1

After looking around here for a while I think I am going to try to build a FTIR table out of a 22 inch LCD. It seems from the comments that some LCD displays are easier to use and disassemble than other. Does anyone have any recommendations for a screen that would be good to use?

Thanks,
Jeff

Posted: 07 November 2008 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09
Total Posts:  905

Hi Jeff
I’m also looking for a good LCD monitor (and cheap!)...here’s one big one that I have found recommended by others: LG Philips LC320W01 (ovoskeuiks) - 32”! - http://picasaweb.google.com/ovoskeuiks/LCDDisassembly# . If 19” is ok, Acer AL1916W has also been recommended (bridgeyman).

Make sure you keep FFC issues in mind when selecting - LumenLab (http://www.baseportal.com/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/Lumenlab/main) only goes up to 19”, so you won’t find out if your monitor has FFC issues (ribbon cables long enough to extend circuit boards away from LCD matrix or not). Beware short/lack of ribbon cables…

hope this helps
rbedi100

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !
Read Multi-Touch Technologies Book!

Posted: 07 November 2008 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

Ive found that the “better” quality the brand the better less liekly you will have with the FFC issue.  Ive taken apart a Sony 17”, AOC 17”, Samsung 930B 19”, and Dell 17”.  The only one which had the “FFC issue” was the cheap AOC one.  The other three had nice cables to work with...Do be careful in the LCD ribbons that can take VERY little damage before rendering your LCD useless...These ribbons are found at least off the bottom edge of the LCD and possibly along the sides of the LCD crystal, which links the horizontal sections together.  The AOC, the first one I took apart, only had the cables along the bottom, but the other 3 had them also along the right side (the east side if you are looking at the the front of the panel).  Ive also read that the bigger the display you go, the more likely you are to find them also on the west side.  The 32” linked to above, has only the bottom and right side (http://picasaweb.google.com/ovoskeuiks/LCDDisassembly#5156180337545182962), but you never know so BE CAREFUL! smile

Good luck!

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 07 November 2008 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09
Total Posts:  905

hi peauproductions,
What specific LCD model did you use for the Dell and the Sony?
thanks a lot,
rbedi100

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !
Read Multi-Touch Technologies Book!