3 of 3
Patents
Posted: 07 June 2008 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-03-26
Total Posts:  19

The author of the PhD thesis is Dean Rubine.

Interestingly, Bill Buxton is on Rubine’s thesis committee. And some of us may know that Buxton has done significant research on multitouch technology and is now working for Microsoft Research.

More interestingly, Bill Buxton maintains a rather comprehensive resource on MT at http://www.billbuxton.com/multitouchOverview.html but has apparently left out Paul McAvinney’s invention - The Sensor Frame. (He did reference “Sensor Frame Corp” and “P. McAvinney” in other pages, but without describing much about the Sensor Frame.)

Posted: 08 June 2008 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-31
Total Posts:  54

to hell with worrying about patents, just build it!

patents are only so you can control and suppress technology

software patents and their troll lawyers can go to the blue oyster

Signature 

broken FTIR = behold the power of little brothers. Replacement LLP in the works, scribbles

Posted: 15 December 2008 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-15
Total Posts:  12

So, if I make a multitouch computer using FTIR, can I sell it legally?

Posted: 07 January 2009 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-01-06
Total Posts:  213

Do anyone know if FTIR have been patented at this point?

And, if it have been patented in the 80’s, the patent have gone out on the date. I have read somewhere that a patent lasts 20 years. Dunno what happens after that tho.

Well. I can’t wait any longer. I just have to know. So I sendt a mail to the European Patent Office to ask them if FTIR was patented and locked for sale in Norway. I might be stupid or something, but I can’t find by this, if it have been patented or not.

Now, I got an answer from EPO. An this was what they wrote:

Dear Mr Bjørling ,

We are now pleased to reply to your enquiry dated 08.01.2009.

To find a particular patent, together with information about it, including its legal status, we recommend the following EPO databases:

• Register Plus
• esp@cenet

Well, I might not get it, but this dosn’t answer my question to them. So, I have beed researching on my own a bit more.
I dont know about you folks, but I think Jefferson got his patent. But, I need to know for sure. If you look at this, here and there. What do “Designated contracting states” meen? I live in Norway, and i cant see NO on that list anywhere. Do that meen that I can build it and sell it? If anyone know i’m on the wrong track, pls say so. Things had been much easyer if I just had found an email to this Jefferson.

Signature 

---- Interactive Multi Touch Systems ----
-------- The future of computing! --------
------- Black Hole Productions -------

Posted: 09 January 2009 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-01-06

I have now added some stuff to my website. Some howto, the making of… well, take a look, and see. Not much, but I hope to add loads of stuff there.

Signature 

Posted: 09 January 2009 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09
Total Posts:  905

@overload
Yes, utility patents have a 20-year term, after which they can no longer be enforced. It becomes a generic item, that can be produced by anyone - the inventor doesn’t have exclusive rights to it any more.

I did a bit of searching to find Han’s patents as well, but its unclear what exactly he has covered. Looking at the Multitouch Business Directory on the wiki, there are several companies selling FTIR-based tables, and unless they have all licensed Han’s (or whoever’s) intellectual property, its unlikely they’re all in violation of patents. Reading the past posts in this thread, it appears that Han has filed applications for FTIR-based multitouch sensing, but it seems he may not have been the first to do so - prior art. Maybe his application has been approved at this point (its been 7 months since those posts), or maybe it was denied due to prior art.

rbedi100

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !
Read Multi-Touch Technologies Book!

Posted: 10 January 2009 02:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-01-06

@rbedi100
Yes, I’v also seen other then Han’ application. I’ll try to find some companys that sell this kinda things. They might be able to answer some questions.
Last night, I sendt a mail to a norwegian patent office and asked if they could cast new light over this. I just hope they take it seriusly and try to find out about this.

Signature 

Posted: 15 January 2009 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-01-06

Ok, now. I’ve found out some stuff, and hope to get an answer within 24 hours.

This link leads to a document I have been reading the last few days. I think, if I’m not mistaking, this is the answer to my question.

And if I’m right about this.
Do this line, “Designated contracting states: AT, BE, BG, CH, CY, CZ, DE, DK, EE, ES, FI, FR, GB, GR, HU, IE, IS, IT, LI, LT, LU, LV, MC, MT, NL, PL, PT, RO, SE, SI, SK, TR”
say that I, who live in Norway (NO) CAN make and sell MT using FTIR technique. But only within the borders of Norway or other countries that ain’t listed above.

I sent an email to this company, asking about this. And hope they replay as soon as possible. The company is Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman, And I hope they are more helpful then this other Norwegian company I mailed. They just wanted to charge me for the service that I did for free...

Now, I’ve contacted an lawyer and asked about the above things. And I did get the answer I was looking for. The above list of countries is a list of every country that has a contract with the one that has the patent. So, IF it isn’t any underlying or something between the lines. I who live in Norway (NO) can make my own company to make and sell systems based on FTIR. But only to the countries that aint listed above.

Signature 

Posted: 03 February 2009 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-04
Total Posts:  2

2 overload
If my country is not in a list, can I make my own company to make and sell systems based on FTIR in my country?

Posted: 04 February 2009 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-01-06

That is what the lawyer told me, yes. But, I will not guaranty it. It might be something between the lines that I can’t see. But yes. If your country isn’t on the list. You should be able to make your own company to make and sell systems based on FTIR within the borders of your country or any other country that isn’t on the list.

I will not be responsible for anything that might happen tho. I just write what the lawyer told me when I asked about that list.
I will not make my own company until I get an answer that makes this theory 100% clear. But that might cost some money in my case. So I will wait some time to see if there is any changes. If not, I might start my own company.
While I wait, I have to get a job. And a steady income. AND make me a prototype :p With some fun software for my kids to play with.

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2009 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-11-18
Total Posts:  3
Christian Moore - 15 March 2008 06:16 PM

Multi-touch technology has been there quite for some time and some patents are filed on different ideas. Apple has filed a patent for Multi touch gesture dictionary too. FINGERWORKS, INC. had filed for many patents and had few products like iGesture, TouchStream etc. The company seems to have ceased its business for the reasons not known.

Fingerworks was bought by a pc and mobile phones manufacturer from Cupertino… wink

3 of 3

‹‹ patent      Apple patent gesture dictionary ››