Promoting the Community…
Posted: 17 June 2007 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-08
Total Posts:  1008

Related: http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/492/

During the voice meeting we had today we briefly touched the subject of marketing/promotion of our community.

Therefore we had in mind that for example if we post videos on youtube to put “multitouch” and “NUI Group” in the title, as well as tags

You may want to put the link to our community on other community forums as well that are for example related to technology, multimedia and stuff.

Furthermore, if you have a personal website or blog, you might want to link to us as well.

Spray paint graffiti of our URL everywhere in the city, spread flyers wink

We might want to do some kind of competition of whoever does the nicest spot to do advertisement and makes a picture of it, gets some kind of reward, a diy kit or whatsoever.

Maybe interrupt public speeches anywhere with a big sign of our URL.

Or interrupt Champions League matches by running on the field with a sign of our community.

Tell your friends and your enemies.

BTW we are not legally responsible for any of these actions wink

Posted: 22 June 2007 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-13
Total Posts:  365

i also tought by including the name and url in software distro’s would also be helpful. also by maybe adding logo and name to videos would also help, although not everyone might have access to add the logo/name into the video, like in the corner or so.

Signature 

the all new Multitouch South Africa http://www.multitouchsa.co.za
those that say it can’t be done shouldn’t interrupt those doing it

Posted: 22 June 2007 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-03-15
Total Posts:  224

Do we even have an official nui group logo?

If so, where can I find it?

Posted: 22 June 2007 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-03-15
Total Posts:  224

Those are quite nice, we need to decide on one and put in everywhere, hame page, wiki, forums. A good logo will really help in promoting the community.

Posted: 22 June 2007 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-13
Total Posts:  365

i agree, we need to get an official logo asap, but not rush it and settle for something less perfect. if you know what i mean.

EDIT: by ‘adding the logo and url to videos’ i meant something like this -> http://www.luma.co.za/luma_water.htm (the luma logo at the (almost) bottom corner. looks quite nice.

Signature 

the all new Multitouch South Africa http://www.multitouchsa.co.za
those that say it can’t be done shouldn’t interrupt those doing it

Posted: 26 June 2007 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-06-07
Total Posts:  10

Honestly, I think we need more stuff to show/demonstrate before we go too heavy with the promoting.  If people see the M$ demos and the Jeff Hans demo, and then visit the NUI site, and all we have to show is the smoke app… well, how can you hope to compete?

I’m not saying we shouldn’t promote, but we need some kind of candy to promote with… I know there are people hear working on apps and stuff, but I haven’t seen too many demos.  Let’s start sharing more of our software, and/or getting videos of our software running posted on YouTube, etc..

Posted: 30 June 2007 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-06-30
Total Posts:  7

As far as promotion is concerned a proper Wikipedia Article for our community would just be great. Shall i begin it or shall i wait for the final logo?

Signature 

...everything(k) that has a beginning has an end…

Posted: 28 July 2007 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-08

Hi Nerio, really much appreciated. You can do that already. The logo is final, it’s in the upper left corner and on the bottom of the forums as well. It’s the fluent wave of the stylized letters NUI with the dot

Posted: 21 June 2008 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-01
Total Posts:  243

I agree that we need to promote this heavily, and have a variety of ideas.  I also agree we need some killer apps to show off.  For my first point I have a slot on BBC Radio and BBC television to promote our use of the surface computer, so that will help.  For the second point, once my current contract is up (i.e. the exhibition is over) the apps will be made available.  They are simple, but colorful.

I also think a collaboration would help.  Let’s get a bunch of people to help build a set of apps that can be given away free with compiled versions of the touchlib software.  Also, make Touchlib easier and prettier to use (think Mac here) and that will help no end.  I’m up for making a guide PDF, or at least putting together the design for it.

Signature 

fingerpuk.tumblr.com

Posted: 20 July 2008 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-05-21
Total Posts:  100

I have a few ideas for promoting the mission of the NUI-Group.  My ideas are at the foundational level.  (By the way, I think it is a good idea to work on a suite of demos that show the range of what multi-touch can do.  I would be willing to share some of my stuff with others who’d like to improve upon it.)

1. To better promote the concept of multi-touch, we should consider getting single-touch interaction right.
, even though our focus is beyond this.  The digital signage and kiosk industries have converged, and the latest buzzword is “Interactive Digital Signage”. This industry has $$$ behind it and companies with $$$ that want to use interactive displays for marketing purposes.  Most of what is out there single touch, and it often isn’t pretty.

We need more pleasing-to-the-senses, user-friendly single-touch screen applications, because most people are brainwashed by WIMP and need a higher level of exposure to other means of interaction.  Single-touch displays are multiplying everywhere in public spaces.  If people have frustrating experiences when attempting to interact with these screens, they won’t be open to multi-touch or other forms of interaction in the future.

In my region, interactive displays are mostly in banks, supermarkets, and shopping centers.  The displays give touch-screens a bad reputation. They function like poorly designed web-sites.  Pop-ups, banner ads, and “in-your-face” infomercials, accompanied by loud, annoying music. 

Is this what we want?  If I wasn’t curious about interactive displays, I’d run in the other direction.

It is apparent that few developers of interactive large-screen applications know about user-centered design, usability testing, or other HCI concepts. 

2. NUI group members who have posted videos of interactive screen applications on the web might want to make sure that the videos are polished, and that the applications that they use to demonstrate multi-touch applications are beyond “proof of concept”. The applications should be portfolio quality, since your demo just might lead to a job!

I just looked at my old video clips from about 18 months ago and cringed. It is clear that I was holding the video camera in one hand while interacting with the screen with the other. I have updated a few of my older “experiments” and they look much nicer, so I will upload new video clips soon.  (Although my demos were on a single-touch screen, they were developed with multi-touch interaction in mind.)

3.  NUI group members who are employed in the area of web design could consider working on contracted projects for single-touch displays, since most of the displays rely on web apps.  If you can do single-touch applications well, and demonstrate some creativity and innovation, you are likely to make a positive impact and help pave the way for future multi-touch work.

Some of the companies who are now involved with single touch displays will have a need for multi-touch applications in the future, since several companies such as Dell, HP, and NextWindow have multi-touch-capable screens.  I’ve heard that to work with Windows 7, a solid knowledge of Windows Presentation Foundation and Silverlight would be useful.  I also think knowing something about 3-D graphics and game programming would be helpful.

4.  Bring information about the NUI group to any conference or workshop you attend or present.
I realize in hindsight that I should have done so during my last two presentations, since there were people in the audience from all over the world.

FYI
I sometimes post about usability and interactive displays in public spaces on my Technology-Supported Human-World Interaction and Interactive Multimedia Technology blogs.

Lynn

By the way, are there any NUI Group members who are female?  One of my other causes is to encourage women to consider technology-related fields.  I’m a certified in school guidance counseling and school psychology. As a female and mother of two daughters, this is important to me.

Signature 

Interactive Multimedia Technology
The World Is My Interface
TechPsych
Blogs=Online Filing Cabinets

Seeking Sustainable Innovation

Posted: 20 July 2008 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-08

Nice input Lynn!
There are some females around here, not that many though, but that will come once multitouch is less seen as techie but more as design.

Posted: 20 July 2008 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-05-21

I used to be a girl scout leader, so I was thinking that I could do something for a girl scout technology camp, where we’d build our own stuff and learn some basic interactive web programming skills, enough to make something fun at the end of two weeks.  The Girl Scouts do more with technology these days.

Signature 

TechPsych

Posted: 20 July 2008 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-08

Sounds like a cool initiative!

Posted: 31 July 2008 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-29
Total Posts:  12

Indeed!

Signature 

------------------
Jim Bruno
http://www.turtlekiwi.com

Posted: 29 April 2009 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-27
Total Posts:  42

:bump:

just wondering how it’s going for Lynn and everyone… have the giant firms taken over? Or are people still dabling in the field?

Signature 

Why are you so angry? Show me on the dolly where the nasty man touched you…

Posted: 30 April 2009 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-05-21

Hi.

When the economy started crashing, I decided to return to work full-time as a school psychologist, just as I was getting several good opportunities.  I have two kids in college and a self-employed husband, so it was a wise decision.

The good thing is that I have been working on my designs and “experiments”, and I continue to read scholarly articles related to HCI and interaction, as well as articles related to ubiquitous computing, since I’m interested in interactive tables and displays (with multi-modal interfaces) in public spaces.  I now have an interest in wireless sensor networks and embedded systems, since I think that it is important for anyone interested in “NUI"to have a basic grasp of the technology in these converging fields

I plan to return to graduate school full-time in the future, but in the future, I’d seriously consider creating my own HCI/NUI lab that would have a mobile component.  I think NUI needs to be studied beyond the lab setting, so I’d plan to provide on-site consultation and services.

I have noticed that quite a few companies have partnered with Microsoft Surface to create applications for a variety of purposes.  Most of what I encounter in the way of touch-screen displays isn’t very good, and I continue to document what I encounter during my travels.  (I sometimes blog about those sorry examples.)

Signature 

TechPsych