Patents
Posted: 15 December 2008 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-15
Total Posts:  12

So, if I make a multitouch computer using FTIR, can I legally sell it?

Posted: 16 December 2008 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-28
Total Posts:  9

Good question.. I think you can sell the App if you create one. The whole FTIR if you make it you can sell it because you bought the compoments.

Signature 

http://www.joystickmedia.net/

Posted: 16 December 2008 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-12-10
Total Posts:  209

I’d have to assume this isn’t any different than building a computer - you’re taking a bunch of disparate parts and creating a conglomeration of hardware.  Nobody can stop you from selling the acrylic panel, LED lights, projector, and so on any more than they can stop you from selling the motherboard, CPU, harddrive, etc that you grabbed at a discount from newegg.  You (likely) purchased the individual parts, the device made up of those parts is your property, and therefore yours to do with as you please. 

Now say you sell it with an installed operating system or other software without license, there you have a problem.  That ‘intellectual property’ is not yours - you have license to use it, often for a fee, but it’s not yours to sell outright.  As long as your licenses are legit, and the authors of said software don’t have a problem with you selling it along with some disparate hardware (read BSD, MIT license, etc), you’re fine.

Another thing you can’t do is take all these disparate bits of hardware, slap ‘em together and sell it with a trademarked name.  To make another analogy, if you bought all the parts from various catalogs to put together a muscle car, you can call it a muscle car, you can give it your own name, hell, you can even call it Ford Mustang.  As long as you don’t sell it as Ford Mustang or Pontiac GTO, you’re fine.  You can surely sell it as 1394’s Crazy Frankenstienmobile.

Hope that makes sense smile

Signature 

22” LLP-LCD ftw
TUIO Smoke (Windows / Linux) - http://projects.edencomputing.com/projects/tuiosmoke

Posted: 16 December 2008 03:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

We’ve had several patent talks on the forum. I recommend to search ‘patent’s in the search forum to see more posts.

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 16 December 2008 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-15
Total Posts:  12

Thanks that’s helpful.
- Could I sell a computer with touchlib on it?
- Is the FTIR technology patented?