Bored without a table
Posted: 22 December 2008 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-08
Total Posts:  77

It has been cold and snowy. I have managed to leave the house twice. I was inspired to make a video after I saw cerupcats new bloom app. Being stuck without a table I decided to make a mtmini for the fun of it. The whole video ended up being a tribute to cerupcat. I started messing around with MT because of music and cerupcat has brought the most music apps to the community. I also messed around with using a drum as a mtmini and that was pretty cool i’ll have a video of that soon.

Signature 

~Jessey Zepeda~
My BLOG

Posted: 22 December 2008 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

Haha, Im sure Seth (cerupcat) is going to love this smile
Welcome to the community, though I know you’ve been here longer than I have, but cant wait to see what else you produce.

Seth actually inspired me the most also, since he lives right next to me and I saw his table last Spring.

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 22 December 2008 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-08

I can’t wait to see your 42” LLP that should be awesome. I’m rigging up the drup right now so maybe I can get that video out today.

Signature 

~Jessey Zepeda~
My BLOG

Posted: 22 December 2008 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09
Total Posts:  905

You talking about drums gave me a interesting idea. When tBeta eventually supports multiple cameras, you could have several cameras in several drums, and each would do something different...not sure how that could be applied, but I think it would be cool.

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !
Read Multi-Touch Technologies Book!

Posted: 22 December 2008 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-08

I was just beating on the mtmini when I came up with the idea. But I remembered this paper that I read a little while ago hope. This is some pretty interesting research.

recherche.ircam.fr/equipes/temps-reel/nime06/proc/nime2006_364.pdf

Signature 

~Jessey Zepeda~
My BLOG

Posted: 22 December 2008 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09
Total Posts:  905

Yea, that’s very interesting - makes the djembe ‘easier’ to play. Something like that would be interesting to explore, but perhaps multitouch capable - an ordinary drum set’s capabilities could be expanded to support other gestures performed on the surface of the drum.

This paper is somewhat similar to regular electronic drum sets - I think their approach could be coupled with the experiment you’re doing.

They used the Creative NX Ultra webcam - I haven’t read of anyone using it on the forums, but perhaps that’s also a piece of hardware that could be tried out. 78 degree view angle is nice, and I imagine it would have to have a reasonably good frame rate to do what they were doing. According to Amazon, its max resolution is 640 x 480, but no word on the frame rate. They did mention later in the paper that users said that latency was the biggest problem, and they would drop out of rhythm when they did not actually make a mistake.

Replicating what they did with your drum prototype shouldn’t be very difficult - just use Flash to write a program that divides up the drum in several regions, with each region producing a different sound. They used the ‘height of the hand’ to control the volume, but I imagine that with a FTIR setup, the pressure of the blob could control the volume - front DI [mtmini] isn’t truly pressure sensitive, though.

Cool link...let us know how your drum goes smile

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !
Read Multi-Touch Technologies Book!

Posted: 22 December 2008 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

Haha, this is too funny/cool bassmang5. Much appreciated my friend wink If you don’t mind, i’ll put it up on my blog.

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 22 December 2008 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-08

@ cerupcat Feel free to use the video on your blog.

I hope to figure something out with an actual drum. My work is pretty much closed for the rest of the week so I will have time to figure out a cool app hopefully.

Signature 

~Jessey Zepeda~
My BLOG

Posted: 23 December 2008 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-30
Total Posts:  321

Nice job on the video.

Signature 

I’m bad about monitoring posts so if you have a question regarding something I’ve said, then just send me a PM.