Z-depth cameras - Z-Cam
Posted: 14 January 2009 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-11
Total Posts:  97

http://www.3dvsystems.com/

Have anyone considered trying out these Z-depth cameras? It could be cool to tune the touch-input through both IR-reflection and depth-distance. If no one has tried it, I may give it a go.

Posted: 14 January 2009 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-06-06
Total Posts:  157

Any idea how much they are?

Posted: 15 January 2009 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-11
Total Posts:  97

about.gif

The new ZCamTM (previously Z-Sense), 3DV’s most recently completed prototype camera, is based on DeepCTM and is the company’s smallest and most cost-effective 3D camera. At the size of a standard webcam and at affordable cost, it provides very accurate depth information at high speed (60 frames per second) and high depth resolution (1-2 cm). At the same time, it provides synchronized and synthesized quality color (RGB) video (at 1.3 M-Pixel). With these specifications, the new ZCamTM (previously Z-Sense) is ideal for PC-based gaming and for background replacement in web-conferencing. Game developers, web-conferencing service providers and gaming enthusiasts interested in the new ZCamTM (previously Z-Sense) are invited to contact us.

From their website - I take it, it’s not that expensive. I have inquired for one. Notice the depth resolution is 1-2 cm., which means you could filter out anything above 2 cm. from the surface itself, which would highly increase calibrating ambient conditions out of the Multitouch equation, if this filtering is done before placing the image in Touchlib or Tbeta.

I may be crazy here, but given a certain distance to the surface, maybe it’s possible to narrow the depth sensing enough, and use the Z-buffer it self as a feed for touchlib/tbeta, which should eliminate any use for lasers and IR-lights. The problem here is obviously how the camera would see through a projection foil…

Posted: 15 January 2009 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-06-06
Total Posts:  157

also some specs on the fps and resolution would be great.

Posted: 18 February 2009 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-07-19
Total Posts:  111

it does 1,3MP @ 60fps!

read today this…
http://www.golem.de/0902/65355.html
= microsoft want to buy 3dv systems