1 of 3
My MT applications! New App - Air Hockey
Posted: 16 January 2009 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-16
Total Posts:  46

Hi, I recently posted a couple videos on Youtube of my table and the app’s I’ve made. Both the app’s were made just for my personal learning, but to my surprise I found NUI members already glancing upon it even when I only distributed it to friends and had it nudged between hundreds of other MT setups. Pleased with even the little bit of interest in it I’m happy to share what I’ve made so far (I owe it to you guys)!

I’ve been writing in C# with the XNA framework. For MT support I’ve used reacTIVision’s TUIO client. So these apps should work with TouchLib and tBeta if I’m not mistaken (I’ve been using tBeta). I’m new to all of them but I do have some previous programming experience. I didn’t see many others using this combo, but I’d recommend it for anyone looking further than AS3 but less than C++. smile

XNA Particle Engine

Description: This is my first app I’ve made, just a fun little particle engine. Ran quite smoothly on my setup!
Binary: Download
Source: Download

Whack-A-Mole!

Description: This is a Whack-A-Mole game! It was a great learning experience for myself. The mallet works since I made a black circle on the head with a white dot in the center. This only works for DI setups.

A Gesture Recognition System

Description: I didn’t find many C# gesture libraries around the net and defiantly not any optimized for MT, so I went ahead and made my own! To create the gestures is very easy process, it’s just a number sequence. The numbers on the numpad represent the 8 way directions of what ever your drawing. For example, 96369 is the NUI logo, 9 is top-right, 6 is right, 3 is bottom-right. For the MT gestures such as the ‘X’, that took a little extra programming and are special cases. With this system however, it would not be ideal for a table with multiple people from all sides, because the gestures depend on what direction your facing. I’ll try and add this support in the future and get some smoother recognition too.

Air Hockey

Description: A quick and simple Air Hockey game for MultiTouch surfaces. The lights are off only because the camera picks up some glare.

Requirements:
* TUIO Protocol (eg. tBeta) (If FLOSC is running turn it off)
* .NET Framework 3.5
* Shader Model 1.1 or better
* To compile source: XNA Game Studio Express 3.0

Image Attachments
Table.jpgTable2.jpg
 Signature 

My ~ Apps

Posted: 16 January 2009 01:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

Haha, luv the apps man.  You mentioned you put a white dot on the bottom of the mallet, so Im thinking you’re using a Rear DI table, and thus a white dot would show up as a touch (like a fiducial’s white pattern).  Nice work.

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 16 January 2009 01:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-16

That’s correct, Rear DI. wink

Signature 

My ~ Apps

Posted: 16 January 2009 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-12
Total Posts:  1111

love the apps dude they look great. do you plan on releasing the source for them.

Signature 

Company Website - Knode Research and Development
My Youtube

Posted: 16 January 2009 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-16

Thanks. Well I could, I have no problem with that, except I’m unsure if my coding would be good to learn from, not exactly sure of the right way of going about things, I just do whatever works rasberry. I could upload them tomorrow if your interested in messing around with it though.

Signature 

My ~ Apps

Posted: 16 January 2009 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-12
Total Posts:  1111

That would be awesome there arent a lot of C# apps out there and its good for the community to have some examples do you know what i mean… and im sure no ones gonna say anything about the way you code. rasberry

Signature 

Company Website - Knode Research and Development
My Youtube

Posted: 16 January 2009 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-27
Total Posts:  150

Great Work Edge!  Tried downloading....but it doesn’t seem to run on my com.  Do I need to install XNA?

Signature 

Pissed Right Off Genetically Engineered Nerd
ProgenLabs.com

Posted: 16 January 2009 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-11-23
Total Posts:  114

wow, realy nice work.
I also tries to write some c# only mt-apps but my results are far away from yours.

one question: did you use frosted glass or any projection foil for your screen?

Posted: 16 January 2009 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-24
Total Posts:  82

I love the Whack-A-Mole Game
( :

Signature 

--
http://www.multitouch-barcelona.com

Posted: 16 January 2009 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-18
Total Posts:  10

Hello Edge,

I have error when i lauch you apps

what we need to use your fabulous apps ?

i have try to lauch touchlib before but nothing, always a error when i run FirstMTApp.exe or Whack-a-mole.exe

i have installed Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 2.0 but always error

Need to install something to use ?

Thanks a lot

Fabrice

Image Attachments
error.jpg

Posted: 16 January 2009 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-04
Total Posts:  676

Nice Apps, well done Edge!

Thanks for sharing too, it’s people like you who help make the community grow! grin

Keep up the great work…

Signature 

Get Sparked at sparkon.net
ORION Multi-Touch Display (blog)
My YouTube

Posted: 16 January 2009 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-18
Total Posts:  10

Sorry,

It’s ok !

i have only try with Version 1 and 2 of XNA framework restrib.

With version 3 it work perfect.

For information, you need to install Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 3.0 to run theses fabulous apps

Thanks very much Edge

Fabrice

Posted: 16 January 2009 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-08
Total Posts:  21

Whack-A-Mole is the perfect example of how an MT-Table can be used as a game machine. Heck, throw in some networking code and it could be made an online multiplayer. XNA is new to me but I think the PC version supports online multi player.

Posted: 16 January 2009 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-16

Wow thanks for the tremendous feedback everyone!

You shouldn’t need to have the xna framework installed. It’s probably my fault in not distributing it properly. The most likely reason you might be having problems is because XNA 3.0 runs of the latest release of the .NET framework (3.5 I think?) so installing GSE probably did that for you. I’ll release the source as soon as I get home.

@Viper - Yes I used an acid-etched frosted plane of glass as my projection surface, nothing else. Although I’ve considered adding something on top make your fingers glide easier on the glass (your fingers stick sometimes).

Thank you everyone for all your support! There’s more coming!

Signature 

My ~ Apps

Posted: 16 January 2009 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-08-10
Total Posts:  181

Your apps rock
C# rocks
XNA rocks

thank you for sharing!!

Posted: 16 January 2009 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-16

Thanks ARTIFACT.

Source now posted everyone! Check the first post!

Signature 

My ~ Apps

1 of 3

‹‹ QMTSim - Linux Build      flickOS beta ››