2 of 3
New PS3Eye Model Disassembly
Posted: 22 January 2009 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-05
Total Posts:  39
mindspinguy - 22 January 2009 08:56 AM

I have a feeling that this camera will work. It looks like the IR filter is the middle lens and not the one closest to the CCD. I have another camera here and will try to remove it and see what happens. The S/N starts with 7700 it is manufactured by Namtai model number SLEH 00201.

I do not have the cam with me now but I recall seeing “7X...” as beginning of the S/N.

Please let us know how you are going to remove the IR filter, since it appears to be inside the casing, in between two lenses… and definetely without the concave lens closest to the CCD chip you get just a large white ball ("fish eye” effect on the screen)

I was thinking that maybe a way of going about it should be unscrewing the lens casing from its base, cutting it just in the position where the IR filter is located inside, and then fitting it back to the base without the IR lens… just an idea. Let us know…

Posted: 26 January 2009 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-06-17
Total Posts:  98

I have the model with the 7X in the beginning serial num and the lens closest to the ccd was the ir filter cause after I removed it I tested the camera and ir light was 100 time brighter than before.  The only problem now is that the cameras focus was adjusted at the factory with the ir filter on and when you take it off it goes out of focus.

Signature 

Touchmaster
Multi-Touch Development Inc.
Project:
CompuTable
http://twitter.com/computable
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/CompuTable78
Blog: http://computouch.blogspot.com/

Posted: 26 January 2009 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

Dont know if you guys saw my recent post that has a video tutorial on me dissecting the PS3 Eye Camera (the same version that Alex showed, not the one that is causing all the trouble in this thread).  Here’s the link:  http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/4189/ Maybe it will help you.

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 26 January 2009 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-05

ok, the S/N is “7X00...”, but the lens closest to the CCD was definetely not the IR filter… but i just realized that the box containing the PS3 eye is different from the one in Peau’s vids.

Posted: 26 January 2009 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Dedicated

Yeah, Ive seen to two type of boxes....maybe that is the only way to know which version t get.  The one in my vids would be the ones with the easy filter to remove, the other box is the harder version.

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 26 January 2009 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-27
Total Posts:  95

Does anyone have pics of the two different boxes? Also, has anyone successfully got one of these (not sure what to call it) “7X00” to work? I have 2 cameras opened up here and not sure if I should just junk them.

Signature 

Fortune cookie wisdom: the only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance
@immersivelabs

Posted: 26 January 2009 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Dedicated

Version 1:  (easy filter removal)
IMG_1362.JPG
Version 2:  (hard filter removal)
18998959.jpg

Signature 

Multitouch Blog

Posted: 26 January 2009 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-27

OK now I am really confused. I just opened my other box. I got 2 boxes from the same place (Circuit City in Michigan) and they are both made by Namtai. First one has SN 7700 (hard filter removal). The second had SN 7800 and it has the EASY filter removal. Both boxes looked like same. IMG_1362.JPG

Very weird. Now I have no idea how to tell which one to get. I guess it is the luck of the draw??

Signature 

Fortune cookie wisdom: the only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance
@immersivelabs

Posted: 26 January 2009 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Dedicated

Wow, that is not very nice of Sony rasberry
Arg, guess we buy and attempt to return if not the one we want.....

Signature 

Multitouch Blog

Posted: 27 January 2009 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-05

there should be a way to recognize it before buying it (closed box) or at least to recognize with certainty - before breaking it apart - if the IR filter is the lens closest to CCD or the one inside the lens casing…
does the lens casing unscrew from its “sqare base” in the PS3 (the version that Alex showed)? ‘cose in mine (and mindspinguy’s) it does (see image below). That could be a sing as to where the IR filter is located…

Image Attachments
IMG_7447.JPG

Posted: 27 January 2009 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-27

There is a way to tell just looking at the camera. If your PS3 camera lens has a flat front lens then it is one of the difficult ones. If the camera lens is rounded in the front then it is an easy IR lens.

Signature 

@immersivelabs

Posted: 29 January 2009 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-05
mindspinguy - 27 January 2009 09:20 AM

There is a way to tell just looking at the camera. If your PS3 camera lens has a flat front lens then it is one of the difficult ones. If the camera lens is rounded in the front then it is an easy IR lens.

could you post pics of the different front lens? that could help people to buy the right one or to locate the IR filter…
btw, i have torn apart the lens casing and still were not able to recognize the IR filter on the new model… where can i find it?

Posted: 29 January 2009 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-27
nicopizza - 29 January 2009 05:44 PM

mindspinguy - 27 January 2009 09:20 AM

could you post pics of the different front lens? that could help people to buy the right one or to locate the IR filter…
btw, i have torn apart the lens casing and still were not able to recognize the IR filter on the new model… where can i find it?

The first image with the rounded lens is the easy IR removal
The second image where you can see my hand is the flat lens with the hard IR removal. Now I am not 100% sure this is true for all cameras. But this is the only difference that I have seen so far.

Image Attachments
IMG_7454.JPGIMG_7458.JPG
 Signature 

@immersivelabs

Posted: 29 January 2009 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-05

thanks a lot for that. still hard to tell tho… too bad, such a good camera…

Posted: 29 January 2009 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Dedicated

Hmm, well that looks like it may be the best way to tell the difference.  Remember that you can buy new lenses for the camera (type m12 I think), so just do that if you get the wrong model or simply dont want to perform any filter removal.

Signature 

Multitouch Blog

2 of 3