1 of 3
Video Tutorial - PS3 Eye Camera: Removing IR Blocking Filter, Installing Visible Blocking Filter (BandPass), and IR Light Tests
Posted: 24 January 2009 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

So Ive seen lots of confusion around here about the dissection of the PS3 Eye Camera so I thought that Id film myself doing it when I opened up my second camera.  Pretty self explanatory, watch the videos and enjoy.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 24 January 2009 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

Nice job PeauProductions. I’m sure it’ll come in handy. smile

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 24 January 2009 03:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-14
Total Posts:  20

Thanks, even if it’s too late for me, I figured it ou smile
PS: in my case, I try to push away the blocking plastic from the lens and not cut it, works good too

Posted: 24 January 2009 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-04
Total Posts:  19

thx for the info ... will help me when i get the ps3 eye wink
all the best

Posted: 24 January 2009 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-18
Total Posts:  881

thxs , Peau ! can you do it with the eyes closed ?

Signature 

How many touches can you simultaneously perform ? 
Coming soon : EveryWall MT / Multi LaserPointers / MT SMS Wall
le WIKI en Français

Posted: 24 January 2009 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-12-10
Total Posts:  209

Peau, the PS3 Eye box clearly indicates you should use scissors to open the clamshell!  How fun will your multitouch be when you lack fingertips eh?!

Signature 

22” LLP-LCD ftw
TUIO Smoke (Windows / Linux) - http://projects.edencomputing.com/projects/tuiosmoke

Posted: 24 January 2009 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Dedicated

Hmm..scissors, dont have any of those childish tools around.  Here it is all blades, saws and soldering irons smile

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 26 January 2009 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-11
Total Posts:  11

Hey Peau,

First off - hello - my name is Andy Coenen and I’m the proud new owner of a beautiful new FTIR LCD Setup. You can check out my first video in some of my other posts, as I feel I’m cluttering up too many threads with gratuitous youtube objects.

Anyway, my question is this: What kind of lens does the PS3eye use? I just ordered a 160-degree wide-angle lens for my XBox Live webcam, and am very excited with the results - but I’d love to upgrade to a camera that can get me more than the pathetic 11 fps I’m getting right now. The lens is the standard M12x0.5 lens (as if I know what that means) that fit almost perfectly into my XBox lens thread (although the threads on the lens are a bit too high - I ordered a replacement that should have better thread alignment)

So you know, the M12x0.5 lens is 17mm in diameter and fits 1/3” and 1/4” CCDs - are these the specs of the PS3eye?

Thanks

Andy

Posted: 26 January 2009 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Dedicated

As far as I know the PS3 eye also uses the m12 lens (i mention that in the first video, oh so briefly though).  Whether the particular one you have will work I dont know.  Worst case is you buy the PS3 eye cam and see if it works, and if it doesnt you got a good webcam for other things.

Signature 

Multitouch Blog

Posted: 31 January 2009 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-16
Total Posts:  7

Thanks for the video demo.  It made doing this a breeze.  I am only getting 30 fps using tbeta.  How would one be able to get it up to 100 like yours?  Also the omegabob2 store does not seem to be on ebay anymore.  Is there anywhere else I can order the filters from?

Posted: 31 January 2009 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Dedicated

Sorry if it caused some confusion, the ebay member omegabob2 has a store named: OmegaFiltersEbuyer2...the link for the Near IR filters is this:: http://stores.ebay.com/OmegaFiltersEbuyer2_NIR-Filters_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ8001095QQftidZ2QQtZkm
You can also get the filters from Thorlabs, though they are more than 4 times as expensive.

Glad the videos helped you.  To get faster fps, edit the config file.

Signature 

Multitouch Blog

Posted: 03 February 2009 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-16
Total Posts:  18

My camera was not like this PS3 cam..
So i broke the lens from a new PS3 cam :(

Signature 

90 cm x 60 cm Rear DI “coffee” table (planing and shopping stage)

Posted: 03 February 2009 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-12-10
Total Posts:  209

Peau can you add mindspinguy’s photos to the parent post so it’s clear which version is ‘good’ and which one to ‘take back to the store’? wink

Until then, those photos are here

The ‘good’ version that complies with Peau’s video is teh one with the rounded outer lens - the one with a ‘flat’ lens protector is the ‘bad’ version where the IR filter is in the middle of the lens assembly rather than at the end.

Signature 

22” LLP-LCD ftw
TUIO Smoke (Windows / Linux) - http://projects.edencomputing.com/projects/tuiosmoke

Posted: 07 February 2009 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-08
Total Posts:  16

Thanks Peau, took my filter out nice and easy. No probs. It takes some interesting pictures:

3261288509_5a5e7f9736.jpg
3261288541_1c4797e29e.jpg

With the floppy disc band pass filter:
3262116330_bf06d663f2.jpg

One interesting thing I noticed is that when pointing the cam at old lightbulbs they appear blue, while newer power saving bulbs look red - which corresponds with each bulbs IR output in general, the energy saving ones are not as hot so they show up red, while the wasteful old lights generate high energy waves and appear blue, just like stars. So I am impressed with the modded ps3eye’s response range, plus the 120fps @320x240 with macam.

Posted: 12 February 2009 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-05-16
Total Posts:  117

<deleted>

Posted: 15 February 2009 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-17
Total Posts:  77

Thank you so much for this video tutorial. I’m not that good at taking things apart without breaking them! This really helped make it easy.

I’ve cut the small piece of floppy (Quark 4.0 install disc!) and cut it to size. It is perfectly sized for the square area at the base, but when I turn it over it does fall out. I can obviously put the sensor back on and that will hold it in place, but it will be in physical contact with the sensor. Is that bad? Should I cut the floppy a little bigger so that it “wedges” in the space? A drop of glue would hold it up there as well.

Any advice? Thanks

1 of 3