3 of 3
Video Tutorial - PS3 Eye Camera: Removing IR Blocking Filter, Installing Visible Blocking Filter (BandPass), and IR Light Tests
Posted: 03 December 2010 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-12
Total Posts:  1120

Yes on some of its cameras they have changed the lens assembly

Signature 

Company Website - Knode Research and Development
My Youtube

Posted: 03 December 2010 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-28
Total Posts:  19
Taha - 03 December 2010 10:32 AM

Yes on some of its cameras they have changed the lens assembly

is there a way to check it before buying it? the homepage says it is a “PS3EYECAMV2”.

if i buy it is can i then somehow change the lens with a new one?

Posted: 03 December 2010 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

There are indeed two types of lenses, but you won’t be able to tell unless you are looking directly at the physical lens you’re going to buy.  Here is a blog post showing the differences and the first part of this video shows it too.  If you do get a “bad” lens that you can’t modify, you can always just buy a “good” one from me modified or not.  Or, upgrade to the better m12 or CS setups to get the image perfectly focused.

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 21 January 2011 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-28
Total Posts:  19

I have got my hands on an old ps3 eye and wanted to show that it does not have to be this “violent” when removing the lens. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARYtAQQpDw The only thing i did was to fold up the plastic circle around the lens and use the knife to flip it up.

Posted: 23 February 2011 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-02-20
Total Posts:  9

I’d actually like to know how well the camera performs without removing the IR blocker.
I’ve just purchased a PS3 Eye, and compared to the LifeCam Studio, where I barely see anything, the PS3 Eye without modification sees my finger-blobs quite well…

LifeCam Studio: 3fingers_thumb.png(link)
(3 fingers barely visible on the right side)

PS3 Eye with IR blocker: ps3eye_thumb.png(link)
(you see the frame, the protective foil, the 3 finger-blobs, all very clearly)

nevermind the single white pixel in both, it’s a test application for several things smile

So, should I go ahead and remove the IR blocker anyway?

Posted: 23 February 2011 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Dedicated

The point of removing the infrared blocking filter that comes in the PS Eye OEM lens is to allow you to insert a band pass filter which will filter out all light except the wavelengths that your infrared LEDs are.
Also, removing the stock LP filter will make the image from the OEM lens very blurry.
Up to you but it’s always better to filter the lights that you only want the camera to see so that ambient lights don’t affect the tracking of your blobs.

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 23 February 2011 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-02-20
Total Posts:  9

Well I do use photo negatives there smile
But I just now noticed that it was using the highest gain setting this way, and thus was very noisy, so I’ll remove that blocker smile

Posted: 07 June 2013 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-02-22
Total Posts:  20

hi. So we’ve seen your tutorial on removing the ir blocker filter, and we successfully removed the filter. But then after that, we tested it and this is what the pseye have shown. It’s just all blurry and no figures or images can be identified. the version of our pseye 3 is sleh - 00448. is it broken or is there anyway we could configure this. Please help. Thanks

Image Attachments
Untitled.png

Posted: 07 June 2013 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Dedicated

Can you take a picture of the end of the original lens and I’ll let you know if you have a good or bad lens.  You need to put something between the lens and camera sensor in order to bring the image back into focus or you won’t be able to track objects.

Signature 

Multitouch Blog

Posted: 08 June 2013 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-02-22
Total Posts:  20

We just figured out that the pseye 3 we had has the bad lens, so if this is so, does that mean the pseye we have is already broken and we need to buy m12 and lens? is there any other way than buying?

Posted: 10 June 2013 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Dedicated

Yes you need to buy a m12 lens setup now or another original PS Eye lens.

Signature 

Multitouch Blog

Posted: 16 July 2013 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-07-16
Total Posts:  1

sir,
can you please help me with it. i bought a ps3 eye but it has two lens.wanted to convert it into an ir filter.what to do? it will be really nice if you help me. I urgently need your help

3 of 3