Simple Table Overview (with plans)
Posted: 24 January 2009 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-14
Total Posts:  27

Multi-Touch Interactive Sound Installation Controller Design

*update - check my latest post at the bottom for set-up details

Hello everyone smile

I’m currently designing a MT interface for use in an interactive sound installation.
The project plans to incorporate sonic art, multi-touch technology and interactivity principles and elements.

Aims of the Project

This project hopes to enable visitors to enter the installation and via the multi-touch interface, control various ‘Sound Objects’ - 3D objects that produce fluctuating sound output dependent upon manipulatable factors such as Object Size, Speed and Location within the interface.

I’ll be using tbeta or touchlib to send OSC data to Max MSP Jitter which will produce the audio and 3D object elements.
From my current research I’m assuming that Max MSP will be able to incorporate multi-touch methods?
Also i’ll be running the programs off a Mac Book Pro.

I’m currently making a prototype using a simple form of DI (that used in MTmini) but hope to progress to FTIR with backscreen projection.

For more information such as plans and designs and to follow my progress, please visit my site and look under FYP

http://www.alanpring.com

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on how the project currently stands.
I like the idea but there’s definitely room for improvement and with this being my first real MT build I’d appreciate the help.

Cheers smile

Image Attachments
Design_DI_01.jpgDesign_01_TV_01.jpgDesign_01_FL_01.jpgDesign_01_3D_01.jpg100_3356.jpg100_3296.jpg
File Attachments
Build 1 and ideas.pdf  (File Size: 2005KB - Downloads: 976)
 Signature 

alanpring.com - details of my project
My Blog
my nuigroup project thread

Posted: 30 January 2009 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-29
Total Posts:  30

Hey freejam, smile
Ive just started a project for my university, with similar aims.  Creating a user interface using MT, controlling the parameters in MAX/MSP.  For my project Ive been think about creating a 3d space, created in some game building application, and having my objects in there, which is linked to max/msp.  But I have a feeling that could be too much of a head ache, and I’ll just end up creating a flash application, controlling parameters in max/msp.  My main worries are being able to get useful data, from ‘multiple blobs’ into max.  Im going to be doing some tail and error of the next few weeks to see what is possible and what isn’t.  Have u managed to get any data into max, from ur MT?

good luck

Posted: 31 January 2009 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-14

hey harrisonjb,

a couple of days ago i made my first prototype still working on the DI principle that MTmini uses on which i am then going to develop into an FTIR prototype. i had planned going from tbeta through a flosc and into max but as of yet have had no luck. im workin on a mac and for some reason the flosc that came with the mac version of tbeta doesn’t seem to be working - its probably me just being new macs smile lol. so i need to problem solve that.

i was considering just using max/msp but now you’ve mentioned flash that sounds like a very good idea.
so when you say “a flash application, controlling parameters in max/msp” i assume you would have the flash app open that sends messages to max/msp? im new to max as well and programming in general largely so was wondering if thats what you meant?

from what i’ve seen a combination of the two could yield good results with flash being aesthetically pleasing and engaging whilst max performs all the sound related functions i guess?

your idea of the 3D space sounds really cool and our projects do seem to be similar in many ways smile
is this a final year project your working on? or just for a module?

Signature 

My Blog

Posted: 31 January 2009 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-29
Total Posts:  30

Hey,
yeah, flash was just to get it all looking nice.  I think you can send and receive information into and out off flash… from what I have heard… but I have not tried it myself.  Seth gave me some useful tips on getting info into max/msp… cheak this page out… http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/4216/ ... it talks about using a TUIO Max client, to recive the information direct from port 3333.  Hope that helps… Im taking the night off to night.  My head is fried… will b back on it tomorrow.

Yeah it just a module… I haven’t finalized what I want to do… since I need to have good artistic/ experimental meaning.  At the moment, I know what tools I would like to use, but now I have to come up with an excuse for why I want to use them… should be easy.

hope the above link helps.

Posted: 24 March 2009 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-14

Please check here for updated details on my project.

feel free to leave comments smile

FYP Project BLOG

Signature 

My Blog

Posted: 06 April 2009 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-14

DI Set-up details:

2 x 48 IR LED arrays
1 x Phillips SPC 900NC webcam with 4.3mm IR Lens fitted
1x mini projector from maplins
1 x mini DV (from macbook pro) to VGA converter
1 x VGA to composite video converter
1 x clear acrylic 3mm - touch surface
1 x black acrylic 3mm - merely cosmetic
1 x 0.2mm plasticard diffuser
1 x 2.1 sound system

Housed in a frame (800mm w x 900mm h x 370mm d) with hardwood panelling.

Signature 

My Blog

Posted: 07 April 2009 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-01
Total Posts:  16

pretty neat . setup looks good !!! smile

Signature 

We do the rest

http://breakfastny.com/