Unicap: Can’t set video format
Posted: 03 February 2009 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-03
Total Posts:  6

Hello, I’m trying to use tbeta on my machine (running Linux), but got no luck so far.
I get the following errors:

$ ./Launch\ tbeta.sh                                                                                                     
/tmp/tbeta-1.1-lin-bin/tbeta                                                                                                                  
TUIO created
:                                                                                                                                 
TUIO setup:                                                                                                                                   
Points1                                                                                                                                     
Calibration
0.0000000.000000                                                                                                               
Calibration
160.0000000.000000                                                                                                             
Calibration
320.0000000.000000                                                                                                             
Calibration
0.000000120.000000                                                                                                             
Calibration
160.000000120.000000                                                                                                           
Calibration
320.000000120.000000                                                                                                           
Calibration
0.000000240.000000                                                                                                             
Calibration
160.000000240.000000                                                                                                           
Calibration
320.000000240.000000                                                                                                           
listing available capture devices                                                                                                             
---                                                                                                                                           
Video device 0CIF Single Chip      (/dev/video1)                                                                                            
Video device 1USB camera (/dev/video0)                                                                                                      
---                                                                                                                                           
Unicap Using device /dev/video0                                                                                                             
Unicap 
Using module                                                                                                                         
choosing device 1
USB camera (/dev/video0)                                                                                                   
Unicap Available formats for this device:                                                                                                   
Unicap 0JPEG JPEG ), min size1x1max size:768x576, default size768x576                                                             
Unicap 
Can't set video format , with size 160x120                                                                                           
Unicap : Failed to set alternative video format!                                                                                              
Camera Mode                                                                                                                                   
Asked for 160 by 120 - actual size is 160 by 120

(same output with the other camera, the video device 0)

Video device 1: USB camera (/dev/video0) -> uses gspca_sonixj module
Video device 0: CIF Single Chip (/dev/video1) -> uses gspca_pac207

I also tried to edit config.xml, modifying size and fps, but nothing changes.

Ucview, touchlib and any other program which uses the webcam works just fine… What could be the problem?
I’d like to play a little with source code to fix this problem… When will it be released?

Posted: 03 February 2009 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-22
Total Posts:  525
Elite

Its weird that the camera works in ucview and not tBeta, but weird things happen sometimessmile

I would try the openFrameworks forums, as this is probably more oF related then tBeta itself.

Signature 

I am more then willing to to test your Multi-Touch programs on Linux, PM me if you have something.  If you’re looking for something faster then AS3 and Easier then C, try Python!

My Blog

Posted: 05 February 2009 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-03

Yes, it’s very weird… And an even weirder thing is that yesterday I tryed to plug the webcam (the one using gspca_sonixj) on a friend’s laptop running Debian Lenny (with Linux 2.6.26), and tbeta worked just fine!

I don’t think the problem relies on the libraries: tbeta is providing them as binary, so they’re basically the same, besides I tried to remove some of them, to use my system libs, and nothing changed.
Maybe it’s gspca_sonixj’s fault… I’m using ArchLinux (on Linux 2.6.28) which ships gspca modules with the kernel package… Maybe I’ll try to set up an older kernel or to recompile a different version of gspca…

Posted: 10 February 2009 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-09
Total Posts:  24

I’m having the exact same problem on Ubuntu 8.10. Have you managed to work around it?

Posted: 10 February 2009 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-09

Oh btw, I had to follow these instructions to get tbeta to run in the first place:

http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/3870/#24022

Could this have something to do with it?

Posted: 12 February 2009 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-03

I don’t think so, that’s a regular procedure to install some libs not provided by tbeta.

I’m now trynig tbeta on yet another machine (still running archlinux) and the behaviour is still the same:

Unicap Using device /dev/video0                                   
Unicap 
Using module                                               
choosing device 0
USB camera (/dev/video0)                         
Unicap Available formats for this device:                         
Unicap 0JPEG JPEG ), min size1x1max size:768x576, default size768x576
Unicap 
Can't set video format ��������<ƀ��ŀ��d���, with size 320x240           
Unicap : Failed to get alternative video format

I think it’s a tbeta’s issue, not sure tho’.

Posted: 12 February 2009 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-09

What’s your cam’s resolution according to your manufacturer?
Mine is 352x288, I haven’t see this resolution a lot on the forum (it’s usually 640x480 or 320x240), maybe it has something to do with that?

Posted: 12 February 2009 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-03

Same here.
My webcam:
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0471:0330 Philips
(you can see that with `lsusb`)
which is a Philips SPC 710 NC ( http://tomoyo.sourceforge.jp/cgi-bin/lxr/source/Documentation/video4linux/gspca.txt#L95 )

You can try to tweak settings by editing data/config.xml (in your tbeta directory) I tried kind of any resolution and framerate I could think of, but that didn’t seem to matter…

Posted: 12 February 2009 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-09

http://www.trust.com/products/product_detail.aspx?item=14382 is the model I use

I also tried editing the config.xml, no luck there.

Posted: 12 February 2009 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-03

Well, I guess we need to wait for the source code to be realesed, then I’ll try to hack it someway…

Posted: 16 February 2009 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-14
Total Posts:  12

I had a similar issue, however in my case I think there is an error with the format of my camera.  Any advice?

This is the error message:

Video device 0: SPC315NC (/dev/video0)
---
Unicap : Error selecting device 1
Camera Mode
Asked for 320 by 240 - actual size is 320 by 240

Thanks,

Chris K.

Signature 

http://www.chriskeathley.com
http://www.chriskeathley.blogspot.com/

Posted: 16 February 2009 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-03

Try and set 0 as device in config.xml: <DEVICE>0</DEVICE>

A friend just borrowed me another webcam, a Philips SPC530NC, using uvcvideo as driver, and it’s working fine!
My guess is that tBeta has some problems using latest-GSPCA webcams…