1 of 2
PS3 CAM - MAX OSX
Posted: 05 February 2009 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-29
Total Posts:  30

Hey,
just went out, got myself a PS3 eye, after seeing some great tutorials on the net, for removing the IR filter.  However what I failed to notice that the PS3 eye seems to be geared towards windows and not MAC.  tbeta doesn’t support the camera, at least not for mac.  Which is a shame since this is a great program.  Now I have maccam, however this has no options to route the video, to say tbeta.  Has anyone got any ideas, since I cant find to much info on this, and I really want to use this camera…
thanks
harrizon

Posted: 06 February 2009 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-10
Total Posts:  9

I’m in the same boat, though I do remember seeing something that suggested it was possible. I wasn’t able to get the QuickTime plugin that comes in the macam package to work properly. Sorry I don’t have any links, I’m away from my computer right now. I’ll take second look this weekend sometime and get back to you.

Posted: 06 February 2009 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

Use touchlib for mac and the PS3 Eye Cam.  Cerupcat hasnt officially even released the tbeta that works for the PS3 Eye on Windows, but has posted a thread as you’ve probably seen to help get the bugs out, which there are some.

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 06 February 2009 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-22
Total Posts:  19

Hi. I’m actualy using PS3 Eye with Mac. To use it, download macam (http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/downloads.html) and drag ‘macam.component’ into ‘drag component into here’ folder. Then you will be able to use PS3 Eye with tbeta (maybe you will need to configure tbeta to do so. Sometimes, by default, it uses the iSight camera).

Signature 

http://spherik.blogspot.com/

Posted: 06 February 2009 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-10
Spherik - 06 February 2009 03:21 AM

Hi. I’m actualy using PS3 Eye with Mac. To use it, download macam (http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/downloads.html) and drag ‘macam.component’ into ‘drag component into here’ folder. Then you will be able to use PS3 Eye with tbeta (maybe you will need to configure tbeta to do so. Sometimes, by default, it uses the iSight camera).

That’s what I was referring to when I was talking about a Quicktime plugin: the component. I installed the component bundle as instructed, but that didn’t enable the PS3 Eye as an option in tbeta. Spherik, are you using a special version of macam? Did you have to do any special configuring specific to the eye?

Posted: 06 February 2009 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-23
Total Posts:  60

try this beta drivers of OpenFrameWorks

http://www.openframeworks.cc/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6515

Along the tread there are various macam versions.

Signature 

Carlos Allevato, Flickr, Blog

Posted: 06 February 2009 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-29
Spherik - 06 February 2009 03:21 AM

Hey, thanks 4 replies. 
Well im pleased to here it works… I have tbeta, and macam.  I have found ‘macam.component’… however I can not fine ‘drag component into here’ folder… where abouts can I find this folder???

thanks
H

Posted: 06 February 2009 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-10
harrisonjb - 06 February 2009 12:43 PM

I have found ‘macam.component’… however I can not fine ‘drag component into here’ folder… where abouts can I find this folder???

The folder is /Library/Quicktime.You’ll need admin priveledges to put it there. There is a note in the FAQ on the macam site. (sorry to leave out the link. I’m posting from my phone.)

Posted: 06 February 2009 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-29

Hey, durr, thanks for ur help.  However unfortunately it is not allowing me to use my ps3 cam, with any other program but MACam.  Spent sevral hours moving files for folder to folder, insuring I have the right liabry.  Does any one know of another program, what allows me to use tbeta, with the PS3 eye???  Any ideas?
thks

Posted: 07 February 2009 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-22

Just to be sure, harrisonjb, have you configured tbeta to use your ps3eye? (i don’t remember if it does so by default) wink

Signature 

Posted: 07 February 2009 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-10
Spherik - 07 February 2009 06:40 AM

Just to be sure, harrisonjb, have you configured tbeta to use your ps3eye? (i don’t remember if it does so by default) wink

I’m still having trouble with this also. I have placed the macam.component in /Library/QuickTime, but it still doesn’t show up as an option in “Sources” in tbeta. Any thoughts? Is there more configuring that needs to be done? I have also downloaded “HackTVCarbon,” and the PS3 Eye doesn’t show up as an option there either.

Posted: 08 February 2009 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-22

Maybe a permissions problem? Open a terminal (I know there’s another way to do it, but it’s my first mac, and sometimes i use it as a Linux/Unix), “cd /Library/QuickTime/” , “ls -l” . You should see something like this:
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 yournameuser admin 102 May 29 2008 macam.component
The important part is “drwxr-xr-x”. Do you have it like mine? If not, you will have to change it:

chmod -R 755 macam.component/

Now, you sould be able to choose PS3Eye in tbeta.

Signature 

Posted: 08 February 2009 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-29
Spherik - 08 February 2009 05:59 AM

Maybe a permissions problem? Open a terminal (I know there’s another way to do it, but it’s my first mac, and sometimes i use it as a Linux/Unix), “cd /Library/QuickTime/” , “ls -l” .

Hey Spherik,
thanks 4 help… I was wondering, when i open the terminal, do I type,
cd /Library/QuickTime/ (hit enter)
ls -l (hit enter)

If thats the correct way to enter it, ‘cd /Library/QuickTime/’ works, but the second part doesnt ‘is -l’.  Sorry I’m a fish out of water here.  any ideas?

thanks

Posted: 08 February 2009 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-10
harrisonjb - 08 February 2009 06:42 PM

Spherik - 08 February 2009 05:59 AM
Maybe a permissions problem? Open a terminal (I know there’s another way to do it, but it’s my first mac, and sometimes i use it as a Linux/Unix), “cd /Library/QuickTime/” , “ls -l” .

Hey Spherik,
thanks 4 help… I was wondering, when i open the terminal, do I type,
cd /Library/QuickTime/ (hit enter)
ls -l (hit enter)

If thats the correct way to enter it, ‘cd /Library/QuickTime/’ works, but the second part doesnt ‘is -l’.  Sorry I’m a fish out of water here.  any ideas?

thanks

That is correct, but if you don’t have read access in the directory you’ll have to use sudo:

sudo ls -l (hit enter)

You will be prompted for your password.

Posted: 08 February 2009 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-22

harrisonjb,

in your post, you’ve write “is -l”. You have to write “ls -l” (LS -L lowercase). rasberry

Signature 

Posted: 09 February 2009 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-29

thanks, durr, and spherik… ok it doesn’t seem to be a permission problem.  I put the results below, in case any one could see anything of importance. 

total 16
-rw-rw-r--@ 1 (username) admin 6148 8 Feb 23:42 .DS_Store
drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 20 Apr 2007 AppleIntermediateCodec.component
drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 15 Jul 2008 AppleMPEG2Codec.component
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 (username) admin 136 8 Feb 23:42 macam.component

I could be all week with this, and I get all the parts this Thursday, to start building my MT grin.  Do you think it would probably be wise to get a compatible camera… if yes, does anyone know of one for mac....

thanks

1 of 2