67” TV LLP Wall (with plans)
Posted: 16 February 2009 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-18
Total Posts:  10

Hacked Rear-Projection TV Turned into a Multi-touch Display

Hello, I just finished a guide on how to turn a rear projection TV into a Laser Light Plane based multi-touch screen.  I tried to be as detailed as possible so others can repeat the design.

I used a Samsung 67” LED Rear projection TV with a LLP setup and two PS3 eye cameras.  I added basic multi-camera support to tbeta to get this to work.  I can still get about 25 fps with two cameras.  Check out the site and let me know if you have any questions.

Learn more and get the plans here: http://labs.ideo.com/2009/02/11/hacked-rear-projection-tv-into-multitouch-display

Posted: 16 February 2009 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

Great job again dave! smile

I saw on your site you mentioned 2 bandpass filters, but the link you have is to IR pass filters. Is the link correct?

Again, great work. I’m sure others will love this.

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 16 February 2009 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-12
Total Posts:  1111

Great job guys… truly amazing.

Signature 

Company Website - Knode Research and Development
My Youtube

Posted: 16 February 2009 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-18
Total Posts:  10

I started with 25mm bandpass filters from Knight Optical.  These produced a strange effect where only the center of the image could get through.  I then moved to the highpass filters from Edmund scientific, which work OK, but not in direct sunlight.  I am still waiting for the filters from Ebay.  I assumed they were bandpass, but I could be wrong.  Are these high pass filters?  Do you know where to get good bandpass filters that aren’t the ones from knight optical?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted: 16 February 2009 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

Yeah, based on the description it seems to be a pass filter since it says it passes all IR light through.

You can get great, cheap, bandpass filters on ebay here: http://stores.ebay.com/OmegaFiltersEbuyer2_NIR-Filters_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ8001095QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Also to understand the reasoning that the filter you used before only passes the center of the screen can be read about here: http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/2478/P15/ I recommend reading madian’s post (which is the last post in the thread) that describes what’s happening quite well.

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 16 February 2009 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-12
Total Posts:  1111

Theres a great guy on ebay omegabob2… you should look at his store he has a bunch of cheap good quality BP Filters. Plus he if he doesn’t have the filter you a looking for in the store just send a msg via ebay and he’ll list the BP filter you require if its in stock.

There you GO Seth replied before i could rasberry

Signature 

Company Website - Knode Research and Development
My Youtube

Posted: 16 February 2009 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-26
Total Posts:  243

Hey Dave,

great job man! I’m totally envy grin I’m searching since almost three months for a dealer who could supply me with some of these Samsung rearpros in Germany ;-(((( Unfortunately Samsung is selling the DLP line only in the US. Hmmmm.... Someone with an idea how to get one of this babies to Europe?

Keep up the wonderfull work,

Signature 

Sandor Rozsa
--
http://www.xtuio.com - home of uniTUIO: bringing MultiTouch in the 3’rd dimension
http://www.cd-cologne.de - my company homepage

Posted: 17 February 2009 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-13
Total Posts:  45
davev - 16 February 2009 01:53 PM

I can still get about 25 fps with two cameras.  Check out the site and let me know if you have any questions.

Nice work davev! wink

We just need to make Tbeta read the PS3eye camera output at 50 fps or more since the new driver can (~75fps).. Tbeta needs to be *free* :p

cheers,

Signature 

HCI videos
and photos

Posted: 07 April 2009 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-07
Total Posts:  88

great work Davev grin

What about framerates and DSP, what kind of values did you get?
It’s that stable enough to play for hours in a row?

Posted: 22 August 2009 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-09
Total Posts:  1493
Administrator

Really awesome project man!

Signature 

~