1 of 5
PS3 Eye Camera Band Pass Filter Insertion
Posted: 23 February 2009 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

To add a filter to the PS3 Eye camera, follow the video below on how to remove the stock infrared blocking filter:

Once that is done.  Make sure the the plastic around the removed filter is flat and level like in this pic:

IMG_1578_scaled.jpg

Simply choose which filter you need:
780nm
850nm
880nm
940nm

Blow out the lens and make sure there are no pieces of loose plastic.  Place filter on lens and make sure it sits into the hole as far as it can.  I use a soft cloth and push it in to make sure it is in there snug.

IMG_1576_scaled.jpg

You should hold it up and look at it to make sure it is level and in far enough:

IMG_1577_scaled.jpg

Then screw it back onto the PS3 Eye camera board, making extra sure not to tighten it too much for you will break the glass over the sensor if you do.  It needs only to be screwed on just until it becomes tight.

When testing the camera once the lens is on but not back into the original plastic camera body, light will be able to hit the sensor from the sides so your image from the camera will sort of appear washed out.

Now assemble the camera back together if you desire too, and when you put the circuit board back into the front piece of plastic, make sure not to screw it down too much.  To test this, as you tighten the screws which hold the stand on, turn the lens back and forth and tighten the stand until the stand doesnt wobble and the lens turns a little harder than originally, but still doesnt require a lot of force to turn it.  Just unscrew it a little until it is just right.  Then put the back plastic piece on and test the camera.  Everything should be fine, but if you find that the PS3 Eye Test App from AlexP just shows a black screen and 0 FPS, you have destroyed your camera in the process.

As of August 11, 2009, I’ve taken apart about 250 PS3 cameras with no failures except the first one which I learned on, so let me know if you have a problem by emailing me or sending me a PM.
If you would rather just buy a camera already modified with a filter you can check out my website’s store here: http://www.peauproductions.com/store/

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 23 February 2009 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-17
Total Posts:  77

Sweet! Thanks for sharing and the great documentation.

Posted: 23 February 2009 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Dedicated

Just wanted to let everyone that I am talking to Jim (omegabob2) about getting some filters that will be able to drop right into the lens and not require any of the cutting Ive done above (aside from the initial removal of the IR blocking filter).  Will update soon.

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 23 February 2009 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-03-15
Total Posts:  224

Cool, Nice work smile

Posted: 23 February 2009 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-20
Total Posts:  66

Get him to make more of these…

Optical Filter, 850BP40.  Supplied 11.5mm diameter X 1.77mm thick with sealed and painted edge.  Blocked UV-1200nm.

They fit snuggly without modification.

Image Attachments
CIMG4367.JPG

Posted: 23 February 2009 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-13
Total Posts:  74

hey I am using IR led’s of 980nm wave length ,so I was using over exposed photography film for it , but it also passes the IR light of the sun rays as well as Ir present in the rube light also . so For that purpose Now i think i will use a NOTCH filter that will pass only particular frequency so after that i can work on the sun rays also .

Signature 

Sudhanshu Gautam,
UG Student,
Electronics & Instrumentation engineering

Our Multitouch Blog
http://www.sparsh-i.com

Posted: 23 February 2009 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Dedicated

You need a band pass filter, such as the one that I use in the procedure above.  It will pass only a very narrow wavelength of light.  Sunlight has a wide spectrum of light, including infrared, so it will almost always affect your image one way or another.

Signature 

Multitouch Blog

Posted: 23 February 2009 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-07
Total Posts:  50

Can you post some pictures of the blobs you get out of it?

Posted: 23 February 2009 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-13

so there is no way to remove the sun ir light i think notch filter can remove it . I read it can you tell me the range of the IR presented in the sun

Signature 

Sudhanshu Gautam,
UG Student,

Our Multitouch Blog

Posted: 23 February 2009 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Dedicated
Geeko - 23 February 2009 11:01 PM

Can you post some pictures of the blobs you get out of it?

Sure

ps3_850nm_screenshot.jpg

Signature 

Multitouch Blog

Posted: 23 February 2009 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Dedicated
password - 23 February 2009 11:06 PM

so there is no way to remove the sun ir light i think notch filter can remove it . I read it can you tell me the range of the IR presented in the sun

A notch filter, or band-stop filter stops a narrow wavelength of light, the opposite of a band pass filter.  Thus it probably wont do you any good.

Signature 

Multitouch Blog

Posted: 23 February 2009 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-13

hey if i am not wrong then notch filter only passes a particular wave length frequency so i think it will be better option for us

Signature 

Sudhanshu Gautam,
UG Student,

Our Multitouch Blog

Posted: 23 February 2009 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Dedicated
password - 23 February 2009 11:28 PM

hey if i am not wrong then notch filter only passes a particular wave length frequency so i think it will be better option for us

No it blocks only a specific wavelength, the opposite of what we want.

Signature 

Multitouch Blog

Posted: 24 February 2009 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-05-31
Total Posts:  122

i cant find 980nm bandpass on omegabob2 :(
and thorlabs.com will only make 10mm for me if i order more then 10 pieces for 120$ a piece and will take 4 WEEKS to make
i need a 980nm bandpass with 10mm diameter supplier that will ship with in the next day any suggestion?

Signature 

MT LCD
MT Wall

Posted: 24 February 2009 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Dedicated

Why are you using an IR source with 980nm?  As far as a I know, most cameras arent as sensitive in wavelengths that high and thus you’d get much dimmer blobs than you would with a 850nm source.

Signature 

Multitouch Blog

Posted: 24 February 2009 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-05-31
Total Posts:  122

first of i’m using LLP with 4 35nm lasers on a 24 inch LCD on a firefly MW i think it will be good enough.
and i got 980nm because aixiz.com don’t have 850nm and 980nm is high enough so home lights don’t interfere allot with the blobs and i want my setup to work with almost normal every day light brightens.

Signature 

MT LCD
MT Wall

1 of 5