A Glimpse Ahead… Microsoft’s Future Vision and NUI
Posted: 02 March 2009 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-09
Total Posts:  1495
Administrator

<div class="post_item" style="background:#FFF;border:#ccc 1px solid; padding:15px; width:473px;">
And just when you thought that the Microsoft’s Future Vision Series was over… 2019 Future Vision Montage: Envisioning the Future showcases several examples of how current prototypes may evolve in the years ahead. Here are some of our favored highlights:

* Painting and animating visualizations in 3d space.
* Keys and objects having associated and contextual UI.
* Advance gesture, pen and touch computing across surfaces.
* Customer tracking in dynamic retail environments.
* Organic flexable and touchable web based news paper.
* Interactive connected meeting environments.
* Using handheld device to augmented images displayed on virtual wall.
* Handheld and wearable based augmented reality overlays.
* What do you see? Post your reply below...

And what will make this all possible you ask? NUI of course!
</div>

<div class="post_item" style="background:#FFF;border:#ccc 1px solid; padding:15px; width:473px;">
Now even Microsoft is talking about all this NUIs… Thanks to the guys at Stimulant for their views on the “natural user interface”. I believe this a great start and this year will be a turning point in truly starting to defining, discovering, sharing and understanding useful interaction techniques.

We have a lot of work to do… NUI brings a vast problem that encompasses almost all prior scientific research and knowledge. This has and continues to be the focal point in which I will aim unite our community under.

Full Video and Article: http://nuigroup.com/log/comments/ms_future_nui/
</div>

Signature 

~

Posted: 02 March 2009 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-09
Total Posts:  1495
Administrator

Below is a link to video of Dennis Wixon’s presentation at Adaptive Path’s UX Week 2008.  He discusses the history of user interfaces and the move from GUI to NUI, and the prediction of XUI in the future, and also discusses how psychology has played a role in the evolution of interaction and interface design.  The video is about 30 minutes, and is worth watching.

Read more on this thread: http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/4380/

Thanks ~Lynn & ~Doc

Signature 

~

Posted: 02 March 2009 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-30
Total Posts:  321

"Some company in Norway”

Signature 

I’m bad about monitoring posts so if you have a question regarding something I’ve said, then just send me a PM.

Posted: 02 March 2009 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-04
Total Posts:  565
Elite

Thanks for posting this.

‘Put simply its complicated’ should be the tag line and perhaps not ‘making the complicated simple’

Some interesting points put across.  From a purely aesthetic point of view i like seeing matt white displays with matt text and graphics.  Almost like digital wallpaper.

I like how stimulant talk about not digitizing a book and turning the page by swiping its MT equivalent, but instead reinventing the book.  But perhaps the book has already been reinvented in the form of HTML PDF etc so endless scrolling through text will be the future?  Why not go full circle and simulate the page turning?

Very interesting, i love this stuff!

Signature 

}---)))@

V JAY!  http://www.v-lux.net LASER tut http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/6407/

Architectural Technician and Building Surveys

http://www.jpgainsfordassociates.com

Posted: 02 March 2009 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-10
Total Posts:  20

Not to distract from the original focus.. of what Microsoft is thinking of in 2019… But we have to look at what they’ve actually done in the past, and how they usually miss the mark.

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-us&tab=soapbox&vid=1c26eca7-649d-4377-9ae2-d6647025a0eb

This is Microsoft’s view of where we should be next year… when was this produced?  2005..  A mere 5 years away, and we are not quite there yet… the population is not willing to take on video meetings, broadband isn’t where it should be, cameras are not there.  Not sure if you remember tablet PCs, but those kinda petered out.  The reason why?  We skipped a step.  We skipped when nobody chose MSN over Yahoo… or AIM.  This is the important step that the NUI Group cannot miss.  Otherwise, Nui on a piece of acrylic or glass will get leapfrogged by interactive holograms…

Sounds crazy?  well, we all have seen Dan Fernandez’s book, and how they’re using WII remotes.. proximity sensing, it’s really close to being real and can be done ‘home brew’ now.  Our challenge as part of NUI, is to find a working technology, design the standards and incorporate it into every day things, so as early adapters, we can develop and sense the practical uses of this awesome technology… and sell it to our friends and family.  (It wasn’t too long that wireless networks were considered not secure.. dangerous.. etc.. that was in 2000 time frame, the technology hasn’t changed much.. from what was offered.. it’s just widely used now)

So, now we’re talking about digital paper 10 years from now.. video walls, multi-touch screens, etc.. We have to ask ourselves.. how do we keep momentum, keep it practical, and keep it relevant so it doesn’t get leap frogged, or phased out. 

Good thing this is general forum for UIE, eh?

Posted: 03 March 2009 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-11-20
Total Posts:  102

Doc: This vision is good, in fact its great. I think it can be earlier realised given for the fact that theres this NUIgroup. The fact that open source is becoming the norm encourages the industry to be competitive because the big players must have if not already realised that people are becoming more and more empowered to make NUIs by themselves.

BTW, full video:

Signature 

blog log

Posted: 04 March 2009 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-07-30
Total Posts:  32

I’m glad that microsoft at least includes green roofs on their future visions.
This is very similar to what my vision was.