Maker Faire Newcastle, UK
Posted: 06 March 2009 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-21
Total Posts:  13

Hello,

So this is mostly directed at the admins, but I’m not really sure exactly who, hence my posting it here.

My company is planning to attend the maker faire in Newcastle, UK next week. Thanks to a bizarre series of purchasing cock-ups, it’s looking like we won’t be able to do the make we’d planned (involving toy tanks, arduino boards, and an RFID-ed up map of the UK. Instead, we were looking for things to take up and show off today, and one of the suggestions was to show the MTmini that’s been sitting on my desk.

Now obviously, I didn’t invent the MTmini, I just followed someone else’s instructions. What I’d like to ask the community, and any individuals who feel compelled to answer, is this: If I provide suitable references to the various community resources on the web, can I show people how to build MTminis at this maker faire? I plan to have a couple of “display models”, with the logo on them, and to have an instruction sheet written up, again referencing all the bits of work on the web, as well as my own set of instructions.

If anyone has any thoughts, objections, support, etc, please let me know either on the forum or privately.

Cheers all

Andrew

Posted: 06 March 2009 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-24
Total Posts:  8

Although I am new to this community, your actions can only do good to this community and the NUI idea. That’s because by showing people how to make MTminis, you create/add MT enthusiasts that will go on and create their own MT projects. Isn’t that what this forum is all about? I would say go for it.

Posted: 06 March 2009 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-03-15
Total Posts:  224

I dont think anyone would mind. It would be nice if you could record some pictures/videos of people creating/using the mtminis on the forums once your done tho smile

Posted: 06 March 2009 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

Andrew, that would be more than fine. All we hope for is that you provide resources to nuigroup while doing your workshop. Pictures/videos would also be a great plus.

-Seth

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 06 March 2009 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-18
Total Posts:  882

that’s a nice idea ;

you should get in touch with Joobs, he will be there @ the Fair

Maybe you could try break the World Guiness Record of MiniMTs (7) in the Same room !

Signature 

How many touches can you simultaneously perform ? 
Coming soon : EveryWall MT / Multi LaserPointers / MT SMS Wall
le WIKI en Fran├žais

Posted: 07 March 2009 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-05
Total Posts:  21

Hi andrew, give me a shout if your free. Im also in the Northeast/Durham with my own company also if you want to put two heads together regarding MT then maybe we can help each other with small or large projects and post from a-z for the new people.

regards

Posted: 10 March 2009 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-21

OK, thanks for the feedback everyone. I’ve been working on multitouch and the MTmini for a few months now. I’m reasonably confident that work will allow me to add what I’ve done to the community resources.

Edit: Oh yeah, another thing. Some colleagues will be shooting some video there anyway. We plan to do a little segment on the MTmini which I’ll be able to share. It may be a little shonky, but rushes will be made available too, if anyone wants to do a better job.

Posted: 10 March 2009 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-04
Total Posts:  565
Elite

Hi,

Im in Somerset if you need any help im willing to give my Two pence worth!  Although i can’t be there in person.

Cheers

Signature 

}---)))@

V JAY!  http://www.v-lux.net LASER tut http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/6407/

Architectural Technician and Building Surveys

http://www.jpgainsfordassociates.com

Posted: 22 April 2009 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-05
Total Posts:  21

Hi guys has anyone managed to source LED Ribbon Flex InfraRed 850nm in the uk other than Environmental lighting as the doller against the uk sterling is a pain atm wink

Posted: 23 April 2009 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-21

Out of interest, we had to source our LED ribbon from the states. That’s not very helpful I know, but still. Now you know.

:D