2 of 4
Multitouch Technologies Handbook
Posted: 09 March 2009 12:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-03
Total Posts:  15

.it would be great then..
but the handbook has not much information..
.please also include a step by step process on how to buila mt table..
.thanx..

Posted: 14 March 2009 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-09
Total Posts:  1495
Administrator

Thanks Gorkem… cant believed I didn’t see this sooner.

This is a dream come true man… Truly an amazing start and it means a lot to our community that you have initialized this effort, I am sure it will become a long tradition. Viva la 2.0!

Who better to write the book then the people craving, creating and discussing the topics openly.

Signature 

~

Posted: 18 March 2009 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-05
Total Posts:  163

Some updates…

The licensing of the book will most likely be Attribution-share alike 3.0, see:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0

We discussed this (well not a real discussion, but 100% acceptance except 1 person) among all contributors. From now on, all contributions to the book will be also threated as having this particular license, so copying and pasting from elsewhere will require upmost care even it only consists of a paragraph.

I’ll provide a todo list for the book and share it with community, hoping that contributors will select items they are competent on, and directly write down sections or parts.

Stay tuned.

Posted: 19 March 2009 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-22
Total Posts:  556
Elite

I too think this is a great idea. Would love to help in anyway. I should have lots of time in a month or so.

Signature 

http://www.justinriggio.com cool mad
http://www.niceminds.com My blog

Posted: 20 March 2009 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-29
Total Posts:  32

If you plan to grow this thing you really should format it in docbook or latex, split into smaller pieces and use a repository with version handling (SVN or CVS or smth similar).
That way several ppl can work on different parts simultaneously, and with docbook you can output directly to diffent formats that are suitable either for e-publishing or printing.

Indesign sounds like the worst option, since it excludes most of the users from contributing.

Just my thoughts.

Posted: 20 March 2009 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09
Total Posts:  905

Hi Kwissus,
I completely agree that a free alternative to InDesign would be great...I’ve used LaTeX in the past, but not docbook. LaTeX is powerful - but I found the learning curve for InDesign to be far smaller, and I personally prefer a GUI editor for laying things out over LaTeX’s code-based system. The price and platform constraints of InDesign are a big pain in terms of contribution...LaTeX would be great for that, but I find that working in InDesign allows more productivity and customizability with less work - LaTeX is better for typography, but I find editing page layouts well to be beyond me in LaTeX.

Perhaps I haven’t used LaTeX to its full potential in terms of layouts/graphics, but from my experience, I find ID to be better for this. So how about a combination of the two? A repository with LaTeX files to typeset, layed out in InDesign. I’m fairly certain ID can’t import LaTeX files, but if you export the LaTeX file to word/pdf, ID can take it. This would allow anyone to write and edit, and when a new edition was to be published, it would be thrown into the preset InDesign layout.

What do you think?
~rbedi100

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !
Read Multi-Touch Technologies Book!

Posted: 21 March 2009 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-22
Total Posts:  525
Elite

Just saw this on the PM(thanks!).  I am more then happy to help!

+1 for LaTeX, not everyone can either afford/run InDesign for various reasons(linux, cost, etc), and LaTeX works on anything.

Signature 

I am more then willing to to test your Multi-Touch programs on Linux, PM me if you have something.  If you’re looking for something faster then AS3 and Easier then C, try Python!

My Blog

Posted: 22 March 2009 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-05
Total Posts:  163
xelapond - 21 March 2009 07:21 PM

Just saw this on the PM(thanks!).  I am more then happy to help!

+1 for LaTeX, not everyone can either afford/run InDesign for various reasons(linux, cost, etc), and LaTeX works on anything.

I’ve written a 270 page book 11 years ago, and a journal paper lately with LaTeX. I cannot say I’m expert… But LaTeX has its own drawbacks and advantages. It’s hard to write with it, even there are LaTeX editors out there. Moreover, the book will be collaborative, but the its format will not. We need someone to work on the LaTeX formatting in this case, and I am afraid I don’t really have time for this.

We should not overestimate the collaborative notion of the book - it cannot be updated each month for obvious reasons. In the best case we can provide another version each year or so. Therefore a LaTeX version won’t help a lot with the “collaborative” part.

Posted: 22 March 2009 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-22
Total Posts:  525
Elite

I though about it some more.  I don’t really care what we do it with.  Ill send you/rbedi100 the part I write, and I trust you two(and whoever else is putting it together) to format it well.  I only like latex because its default formatting options let me get right to content and not have to worry about all the silly formatting that takes way more time then necessary.

All the best,

Alex

Signature 

I am more then willing to to test your Multi-Touch programs on Linux, PM me if you have something.  If you’re looking for something faster then AS3 and Easier then C, try Python!

My Blog

Posted: 22 March 2009 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-05-21
Total Posts:  100

Sorry for coming in so late to the conversation.  My dad has been in the intensive care unit since March 3rd, in Ohio.  He lives alone in Michigan, my siblings live in Texas, and I live in N.C., the past few weeks have been rough!

I’d like to contribute to this effort. My strengths are in the areas of UX, usability & accessibility/"universal design”. I’d like some input from NUI-Group members about what I should contribute.  Would I be the only female contributor? 

My present projects - when I have time to work on them, include designing applications that allow for multi-modal and multiple means of input/output, even from remote devices and locations.  Because I’m a school psychologist, I try to ensure that what I do can also be modified for education and intervention/treatment purposes, (even health care, given my father’s health situation). 

Right now, I’m experimenting with remote video at one of my schools.  I’m also on an interactive wireless sensor network kick, and just beginning to think about how I could rig things up an interactive MT/NUI display or system of displays and devices.

I guess this might be the place to explain my cognitive style. 

The culture of scholarly research demands that we should be narrow and specific, but my brain doesn’t work this way.

I look at the big picture.  Since I am a visual thinker, my ideas pop in my head like an rich and detailed interactive graphic. Without forcing it, I take a systems approach and look at patterns, connections, and interconnections first.  When I think about “emerging” technologies, the things that pop into my mind are not narrow in focus. (I can “drill down” if I need to do so- usually if I’m sketching out my ideas.)

I am clearly aware that it is recommended to look at a specific, small piece of a topic.

Here is a statement that summarizes my burning questions:

What sort of factors-hardware, software, sensor networks, embedded systems, interaction, navigation, 3D navigation etc. need to be addressed in order to decrease the user’s cognitive load, support learning and memory, enhance communication and collaboration, enhance information/data visualization, etc.?

Signature 

Interactive Multimedia Technology
The World Is My Interface
TechPsych
Blogs=Online Filing Cabinets

Seeking Sustainable Innovation

Posted: 23 March 2009 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-22
Elite

I though about it some more.  I don’t really care what we do it with.  Ill send you/rbedi100 the part I write, and I trust you two(and whoever else is putting it together) to format it well.  I only like latex because its default formatting options let me get right to content and not have to worry about all the silly formatting that takes way more time then necessary.

All the best,

Alex

I think this might work for me too. I’ll write and send to rbedi100. I think we need a editor for formatting, grammar and spell checking. Ideally this is the person responsible for Indesign or whatever program is used to create the book.

Lynn so sorry to hear that. Hope everything works out for you and yours.

Signature 

Posted: 23 March 2009 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09
Total Posts:  905

I can do the formatting, and InDesign has some features for spell check/grammar check. Actually, it does a fair amount of automated formatting as well, so that shouldn’t be a problem. If someone(s) could help out for stylistic things and proofread as well, that would be great.

rbedi100

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !
Read Multi-Touch Technologies Book!

Posted: 23 March 2009 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

I’ll probably be doing some of the overview/proofreading as things are written out.

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 26 March 2009 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-22
Elite

Cover Mock-Up
Here is what I have so far..I think i might take out the top black that goes across. keep the sides in.

What I need is the font use in the NUI logo

And whatever copy you all want on it...title subtitle

Image Attachments
NUI-HANDBOOK-COVER.jpgNUI-HANDBOOK-COVER-02.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2009 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

Looks really nice. I like the first one, but the ‘I’ would have to be seen somehow. I’m curious what it looks like without the dropshaddow on the ~ too. Wanna post the file for it? smile Really great work Justin.

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

2 of 4