1 of 2
Touchsmart TUIO - TUIO from Nextwindow touchscreens, like on HP Touchsmart
Posted: 08 March 2009 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-15
Total Posts:  53

Hello,

I have created a bridge application that translates touch events on Nextwindow API-compatible touchscreens into TUIO and flosc-less Flash XML. Such screens are being used on HP Touchsmart PCs, but possibly also on PCs from other manufacturers. It runs fine on an out-of-the-box HP Touchsmart (Windows Vista).

The TUIO generation uses code from my optical tracker Touché, which is a MacOS X app, but I could port the relevant parts to Windows, using the free Cocotron framework.

The binary and source code is available. More info here: http://gkaindl.com/software/touchsmart-tuio

I’ve also made a demo video explaining the software, which I’ll upload soon. [Edit: Video now online].

Maybe other NUIgroup members who have PCs with Nextwindow screens will find this useful.

Cheers,
Georg

Posted: 08 March 2009 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-18
Total Posts:  882

sounds great , Georg,

any plan to release Touche for Windows ?

Signature 

How many touches can you simultaneously perform ? 
Coming soon : EveryWall MT / Multi LaserPointers / MT SMS Wall
le WIKI en Français

Posted: 08 March 2009 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-12-07
Total Posts:  108

THANK YOU!!!!
Now I have to go get a touchsmart!!

Signature 

JUST GETTING BACK TO THE WORLD OF MULTITOUCH!!!! HI ALL

Posted: 08 March 2009 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-15
jimihertz - 08 March 2009 07:05 PM

sounds great , Georg,

any plan to release Touche for Windows ?

Touché (intentionally) relies on so many MacOS X core features that it’s virtually impossible to port it to Windows - that would mean virtually rewriting it from scratch. It’s only possible to port the networking part, because that’s mostly BSD-code and some plain vanilla Cocoa, which can be emulated with MinGW and Cocotron.

Posted: 16 May 2009 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-05-16
Total Posts:  1
gkaindl - 08 March 2009 06:43 PM

Hello,

I have created a bridge application that translates touch events on Nextwindow API-compatible touchscreens into TUIO and flosc-less Flash XML. Such screens are being used on HP Touchsmart PCs, but possibly also on PCs from other manufacturers. It runs fine on an out-of-the-box HP Touchsmart (Windows Vista).

The TUIO generation uses code from my optical tracker Touché, which is a MacOS X app, but I could port the relevant parts to Windows, using the free Cocotron framework.

The binary and source code is available. More info here: http://gkaindl.com/software/touchsmart-tuio

I’ve also made a demo video explaining the software, which I’ll upload soon. [Edit: Video now online].

Maybe other NUIgroup members who have PCs with Nextwindow screens will find this useful.

Cheers,
Georg

I tried this on Windows 7 RC with the latest NextWindow drivers installed and it doesn’t report a serial number or anything. Has anyone gotten this to work on Win7 RC?

Posted: 16 May 2009 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-15
damagi - 16 May 2009 02:01 AM

I tried this on Windows 7 RC with the latest NextWindow drivers installed and it doesn’t report a serial number or anything. Has anyone gotten this to work on Win7 RC?

I don’t have Windows 7 installed on our Touchsmart, but provided that NextWindow didn’t change their API (which I doubt), it should probably work. Don’t know what might be the issue, but it’s open-source, so if you don’t mind having a look yourself, I’d be very grateful.

Posted: 21 May 2009 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-24
Total Posts:  18

Hey thanks for your app! It didn’t work on my nextwindow overlay though… so I wrote my own for windows. smile

If you can, please test, lemme know if you have any input. It’s written in c# on top of nextwindow’s sample c# app.

File Attachments
NU-TUIOv1.zip  (File Size: 341KB - Downloads: 1169)

Posted: 23 May 2009 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-15
ChrisLott - 21 May 2009 06:28 PM

Hey thanks for your app! It didn’t work on my nextwindow overlay though… so I wrote my own for windows. smile

If you can, please test, lemme know if you have any input. It’s written in c# on top of nextwindow’s sample c# app.

Cool, but would you mind looking at Touchsmart TUIO’s source code and checking out why it’s not working for you? All the Nextwindow-specific code is in a single file, so it shoudn’t be too much work. I think it would be worth it, since Touchsmart TUIO supports all the different output methods that Touché supports, such as TUIO/OSC, TUIO/Flash-XML etc…

The code is available here: http://code.google.com/p/touche/source/browse/#svn/trunk/windows-tuio-bridge/src

Posted: 23 May 2009 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-24
gkaindl - 23 May 2009 07:51 AM

Cool, but would you mind looking at Touchsmart TUIO’s source code and checking out why it’s not working for you? All the Nextwindow-specific code is in a single file, so it shoudn’t be too much work. I think it would be worth it, since Touchsmart TUIO supports all the different output methods that Touché supports, such as TUIO/OSC, TUIO/Flash-XML etc…

The code is available here: http://code.google.com/p/touche/source/browse/#svn/trunk/windows-tuio-bridge/src

It wouldnt see my overlay for some reason.. it said nothing was plugged in or something if that helps. Strange though because I think we’re using the same DLL. I’ll check out what it does when I get to work monday morning.

Posted: 24 May 2009 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-24

Hey, I copied over your NWMultiTouch.dll with a newer version (1260) from NW’s website, and it detects my touchscreen now.

Posted: 28 May 2009 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-15
ChrisLott - 24 May 2009 04:38 PM

Hey, I copied over your NWMultiTouch.dll with a newer version (1260) from NW’s website, and it detects my touchscreen now.

Ok, thank you. I didn’t know they’ve updated their drivers, so I’ll upgrade to the most recent dll in the next release.

Posted: 31 May 2009 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-10-28
Total Posts:  4

i stay findo some Multimedia app to run in my nextwindow with win7, some one have flash app like photo and video play, manipulate, zoom, etc.. ?

Posted: 22 June 2009 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-10
Total Posts:  7

Hi,
On trying to add “NWMultiTouch.dll” to my application error message is displayed.
I am creating on Multitouch application in C# and WPF.
How to do ?

Rgds

Posted: 21 October 2009 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-21
Total Posts:  1

Thanks so much for this.  I am experiencing problems using this on win7 as well.  I did update the NextWindow DLL, and the touchsmart is being recognized.  But when I launch any sample Flash app, only one point is being detected, not two.  Any suggestions?

Posted: 08 November 2009 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-11-08
Total Posts:  3

@ChrisLott:
i tried your app and it doesn’t work for me. After some try with a friend who knows c# better than me, he says me that my problem is that i’m running under win7 64bit, and
probably your app is not forced to 32bit, so my os try running it in 64bit and crash. can you help me? wink)

this is what my friend told me, exactly:
“no, the one i sent you is specified as a 32 bits application, they probably didnt forced the architecture to x86 (32 bits) in their compiler”

Posted: 08 November 2009 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-11-08
Total Posts:  3

now it works, here is a x64 compatible version (tested on dellsx2210t and windows7 64bit ultimate)

File Attachments
NWToTUIOx64.zip  (File Size: 13KB - Downloads: 639)

1 of 2