Vispol - An Interactive Scenario Visualization
Posted: 16 March 2009 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-14
Total Posts:  154

hi there,
i wanted to share some information of my thesis work with you.

vispolsidebar.jpg

i have put together a visualization app for the german police of the state of Hessen. using vispol, the police can model the constellation of involved persons and objects throughout special situations like hostage-takings or bank hold-ups. persons are represented by circles and can be attributized etc. for more information to Vispol you can take a look here.

although the police is gonna use Vispol in an Adobe Air mouse version, i have originally created Vispol as a multi-touch application. Vispol uses flash as3, flex and adobe air based on the nuigroup tuio as3 implementation. we use it on the Virttable and the TwinTable. i have enhanced some flex gui elements in order to provide the simple creation of further multi-touchable flex applications.

More information, an interactive mouse version of Vispol, more videos and a paper.

File Attachments
photos.zip  (File Size: 338KB - Downloads: 531)
 Signature 

Posted: 16 March 2009 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-04-03
Total Posts:  241

Great work Johannes smile,

looks very useful and professional!

Signature 

My multitouch blog: http://www.multigesture.net
Howto: Compile touchlib on windows XP/Vista
Howto: Compile touchlib on Ubuntu Linux
Downloads: Touchlib SVN builds

Posted: 16 March 2009 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-11-12
Total Posts:  126

I agree with Falcon it looks very professional the application and the table from what I can see.

Signature 

http://xator.org/ - My Blog :D

Posted: 16 March 2009 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-12-07
Total Posts:  108

I am impressed. It is too bad that they are not looking to use the multitouch version, it is applications like these that allow multitouch to be effectively used in areas such as the police and public safety…

Signature 

JUST GETTING BACK TO THE WORLD OF MULTITOUCH!!!! HI ALL

Posted: 18 March 2009 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-14
Total Posts:  154

the problem with nowaday’s multi-touch tables is that they to difficult to start, configure, run and to use (to many errors can turn up while using one with free tracking software). thus, without a simple push-the-button and switch it on solution you cannot sell multi-touch tables or products to real persons. it is alright to do so on a fair where you have trained staff, who does the administration of the tables but not for a simple police guy… this is something where microsoft’s surface table ties in: as far as i know you can simply turn it on, it is light insensitive, you get technical support and it does not crash all the times. all these points are crucial for customers. and that is something that the nuigroup can (so far) not provide. and i do not think that this is its target. on the other hand for the surface table, it is small, not nice looking, you have to do the programming in wpf and it is microsoft. all thing that we overcome with our tables wink

in terms of the police, i hope i cann sell them at least an lcd tv monitor of approx 42” size, which is fitted with a nextwindow frame. this solution they can hang on their wall and simply switch the monitor and the computer on and it will work. however, it will not work with as many fingers and persons as it does with my virttable :(

Signature