1 of 2
[Ps3eye] Custom lens, perfect fit base (m12x0.5), no glue. 
Posted: 21 March 2009 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-17
Total Posts:  20

Hi! Once i’ve studied about image processing, i was looking for a cheap & fast camera (+30 fps). My first test were with one like this. Bad election, fastest fps were about 11. Then i bought similar one, with different cmos, and the same, slow camera.

Now, i’ve bought ps3eye, the only bad thing was lenses. I’ve readed abot it on this forum (glued mount), and before i buy lense mounts, i have unmounted my old cameras. Mounts are on the first photo. They fit perfectly on ps3 lense mount screws! the only “bad” thing is that ps3 lense screws are tight, and i have to use other camera screws, but they fit good.

Image Attachments
base-lente.pngps3eye-base-diferente.pngps3-mod.png
 Signature 

The links i post are only to help people finding things that i’ve found. I dont have any deal with sellers/websites.

Sorry of my english.

Posted: 21 March 2009 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-03-11
Total Posts:  246

Nice! From which cameras you got that mounts?

Signature 

My multi-touch DSI coffee-table
Touch it! - Just another multi-touch-blog

Posted: 21 March 2009 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-17

From a camera exactly as one linked on first post with “this” key. Bought on ebay last year.

Signature 

The links i post are only to help people finding things that i’ve found. I dont have any deal with sellers/websites.

Sorry of my english.

Posted: 21 March 2009 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-24
Total Posts:  8

So what are the improvements from the new lenses....what kind of difference did it make?

Posted: 21 March 2009 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-17

With thoose lense mounts, you can mount any lense you want. For me, it’s good for mounting wide angle lenses. I’ve mounted 160º lense on ps3eye (it was bought as 160º but doing some maths, i think its 120º vertical and 140º horizontal). Wide angle lense helps taking webcam closer to acrylic, and with this, smaller box.

Signature 

Sorry of my english.

Posted: 21 March 2009 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-03-11

Hey Aitor,

so that means, I could buy one of these cams you linked in your first posting and disassemble it for using the mount in my PS3Eye withput glueing it onto the board?
Including shipping to Germany it would cost round about 6 Euro - that would be okay for me.

And where did you bought your lense? Would also be interesting.

Signature 

Posted: 21 March 2009 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-17

I can’t say for sure, that the mount will be exactly the same, because i bought my cams last year, but i’ll bet that they are same. As you can see on the first post, the biggest difference betwen 2 mounts (from ebay cams), is that one is shorter than the other. I think (don’t know for sure) that small good writen letters (on the lense) is the larger mount. You have lots for elect, if i were you, i’ll bought the cheapest:

One
Two
Three

Lense

Signature 

Sorry of my english.

Posted: 21 March 2009 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-03-11

Many thanks. I just bought a lense and the cam from the first link. I’m very tensed how this will work smile

Signature 

Posted: 22 March 2009 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-24
Total Posts:  8

I did buy the lens too, so Aitor tell us, how large is your acrylic and how far away is the camera?

Posted: 22 March 2009 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-17

Ok. My acrylic (for testing) size is 260mm x 320mm.

Cam is 140mm far from acrylic, and this (first photo) is what camera can see with 4x850nm leds and other 4x980nm leds. Photo is taken with ps3eye camera, first post lense mount, other post lense, and no IR-bandpass filter.

2nd photo is trying to touch as little as posible the acrylic.
3rd photo is pressing hard.

4rd photo is same camera, same lense, but with IR Bandpass filter.

Doing some maths:
To see 260mm vertical its 123º
And for 360mm (40mm more because you can see more than full acrylic), horizontal its 137º

Now i’m trying to take video from ps3eye directly with v4l2, instead of using opencv (because only to take frames, it needs 10% of my cpu, and if i want to see the video, 10% more). But i’m having some problems because linux driver don’t seems to accept any color palette… I want to take only red channel matrix, and fix barrel distortion (made by wide angle lense), by hand.

Image Attachments
1237636396.png1237635862.png1237635867.png1237636932.png
 Signature 

Sorry of my english.

Posted: 22 March 2009 06:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-03-11

Wow, that’s already looking very good smile
Thanks for your pictures and your tests!

Signature 

Posted: 22 March 2009 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-17

I’m trying to make as many tests as i can. Now i’m with high power IR leds, and seeing differences betwen PC and PMMA, i think with PMMA blobs can be brighter when you move a finger…

Beste regards,
Aitor.

Signature 

Sorry of my english.

Posted: 07 April 2009 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-03-11

Hey Aitor,

thanks again for your advices.
I just put together my cam with the new components and wrote down the results in my blog.

I can only recommend to go this way, because it’s cheap and hopefully effective! wink

Signature 

Posted: 08 April 2009 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-09
Total Posts:  28
cdog - 07 April 2009 10:40 AM

Hey Aitor,

thanks again for your advices.
I just put together my cam with the new components and wrote down the results in my blog.

I can only recommend to go this way, because it’s cheap and hopefully effective! wink

Hi,

I went to your blog, and I am really interested by using a custom lens on my PS3EYE because the actual one with the omegabob NIR filter is a bit blur… But I have no skill in lens/mount etc. I need a lens with an angle a bit larger (or at least the same) than the regular PS3EYE but without distortion of the picture. But there too many lens and I don’t know which one can fit with the mount of this cheap webcam ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310126306846 ) ! Can you please help me with that issue and tell me which one can be OK ?

Thank you in advance !

Signature 

My Blog

Posted: 08 April 2009 02:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-03-11

Hey ZeblodS,

hm that’s weird. Normally the NIR filter should remove the blur-effect. I assume that you already removed the IR filter from the cam and played a bit around with the focus on the lense, right?

As you can see on Aitor’s pics, the wide angle lens from dealextreme.com has a large field of view. I don’t know yet, what’s it like about distortion, but I hope it will work.
I’m also no expert in lenses and so I accepted Aitor’s proposal to buy the lens he bought.
As far as I’m informed, you can use every lense which fits on a M12x0.5 mount (often used in webcams).

Maybe the newest postings in this thread may help you. Some fitting mounts and lenses for the PS3Eye were discussed there.

Good luck and keep asking!

Signature 

Posted: 08 April 2009 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-09
Total Posts:  28
cdog - 08 April 2009 02:57 AM

Hey ZeblodS,

hm that’s weird. Normally the NIR filter should remove the blur-effect. I assume that you already removed the IR filter from the cam and played a bit around with the focus on the lense, right?

Yes, I remove the IR filter from the cam and I put de PS3EYE NIR filter from Omegabob. But it is the 4.7mm thick and it does not fit “out of the box” in the PS3EYE lens because it is too depth and it touch the CMOS sensor… So I put something between the lens and the circuit to not touch the sensor with the filter. (actually I destroy my first PS3EYE because it crush my CMOS sensor, so I buy a second one and put something to raise the height of the lens...)

It is a very little blur (not so much), but I am not able to make my picture really clear…

As you can see on Aitor’s pics, the wide angle lens from dealextreme.com has a large field of view. I don’t know yet, what’s it like about distortion, but I hope it will work.
I’m also no expert in lenses and so I accepted Aitor’s proposal to buy the lens he bought.
As far as I’m informed, you can use every lense which fits on a M12x0.5 mount (often used in webcams).

According to the pictures in this post http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/4837/#30729 it seems that this lens has a lot of barrel distortion. I would prefer to have no distortion at all (or very very little one) because it is easier to compute (I don’t know how to remove the barrel distortion...)

Maybe the newest postings in this thread may help you. Some fitting mounts and lenses for the PS3Eye were discussed there.

Good luck and keep asking!

Thank you for the link!

Signature 

My Blog

1 of 2