Posted: 22 March 2009 01:25 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-03
Total Posts:  4

Hi there.

it’s really cool having MT apps, however most of them only work on desktop,
what about internet?

“never bet against the browser”

My proposal is to develop a MT browser + powerful accessibility features, not just “next page”.
My bachelor thesis (under work): “..apps...involving high accessibility features”, if we put it together with the MT technology the possibilities grow exponentially.

This is only a preview:

Currently, the common actions with gesture support are:
- Zoom in
- Zoom out
- Go forward in history
- Go back in history
- Go to the top of the page
- Go to the end of the page

let’s imagine some other cool things:
- Open *all* the links that I select with my fingers at the same time
- *write this* topic using mouse gestures
- grid zooming:
suppose that the content is divided into regions (like a grid), to enlarge the region 3, just pressing it could be enough. The procedure is repeated until you are satisfied…
- anchor links: sitemap
- *grab* the content you want

What features would you like to see in this?

Please give me your feedback.

thanks for reading.

felipe.

Posted: 22 March 2009 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-03-15
Total Posts:  224

It sounds like you have 2 conflicting ideas here. Are you building mt apps that run in the browser instead of on the desktop, in which case check out http://www.touchgateway.com which will allow you to do this. Or are you developing a web browser that is in fact a desktop app? If your writing a browser, I would suggest using the iphone gestures as a starting point, single finder pans, 2 finger pinch for zooming etc.

Sounds like a big project to me, good luck smile

Posted: 22 March 2009 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-17
Total Posts:  9

Have you seen the gestures addon for Firefox? Maybe just adapt it for multifinger would suffice.

I guess you can adapt Webkit or Gecko and create a browser with integrated TUIO support, but a different path would be to write a firefox addon for tuio support while a mpx driver is written.

Posted: 22 March 2009 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09
Total Posts:  905

Nice idea - firefox addon or standalone application? I wouldn’t re-invent the wheel...either build a fx addon or perhaps use webkit or something as Desert suggests. I’m liking the grab content idea - that could be built in to google notebook (or something similar) nicely. How about a ‘gesture area’ in one corner of the screen for various things: tinyurl, subscribe to RSS feed, print, home page, etc.? I think this could be worked in to tabbed browsing to make it more efficient for sure.

good luck!
~rbedi100

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !
Read Multi-Touch Technologies Book!

Posted: 22 March 2009 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09

Just saw this topic: http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/4850/ - you might want to take a look at it.

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !

Posted: 24 March 2009 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-08
Total Posts:  21

Mozilla is looking into developing a browser for multi touch enabled hardware and websites.

I’m taking part in Mozilla’s Spring 2009 design challenge and asked during one of their sessions (http://vimeo.com/3789956) if they’re considering a multi touch flavor of firefox for platforms similar to surface and the answer was a definitive yes.

I would assume they would prefer a direct approach (through a built in script language with special tags for multi touch enabled elements in a similar way to how Canvas is implemented and support for Win7 and TUIO input) than through flash. If they do go through the flash approach, embedding Touch Gateway into the browser could be an option.

Posted: 24 March 2009 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-03
Total Posts:  4

Hi there!

I caught a cold, so I was offline…

Pleh have reason, I didn’t explain it property: the idea is to develop a web browser that is in fact a desktop app but with gesture support + accesibility.

Desert -

Have you seen the gestures addon for Firefox? Maybe just adapt it for multifinger would suffice.

I guess you can adapt Webkit or Gecko and create a browser with integrated TUIO support, but a different path would be to write a firefox addon for tuio support while a mpx driver is written.

I have it!, also Opera has it.

I have been working with webkit,
I’m considering using AIR since it uses webkit instead of develop an fx addon.

As Pleh said..iphone gestures as a starting point,

rbedi100, I was thinking in linking a virtual keyboard with the selected input box,
also you could choose between the virtual keyboard or the gestubre box for handwriting.

rbedi100 -

How about a ‘gesture area’ in one corner of the screen for various things: tinyurl, subscribe to RSS feed, print, home page, etc.? I think this could be worked in to tabbed browsing to make it more efficient for sure.

I was thinking in using all the screen, like the fx addon, but we can make usability tests to define it.

http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/4850/

that’s interesting, but… when will it be ready?, it’ll come with win7

thanks for your comments.
felipe

Posted: 24 March 2009 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09

Felipe,
From that thread - Daniel D’s comment:

I don’t know if Silverlight 3 will be packaged with Win7. Never header of it. But it will use its native multitouch events.
There is not many information about it. It is definitly not in current beta bits. But Scott Guthrey have told this in his keynote on MIX09. And someone have showed it on TouchSmart.

So, really, no definitive answer.

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !