Recognition, Tracking and Association of Hands, Fingers, and Blobs: A Tbeta Upgrade
Posted: 29 March 2009 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-04
Total Posts:  8

Name: Thiago de Freitas Oliveira Araújo

Email: ,

Location/Timezone: GMT -3

Education/Qualifications: Undergraduate Student - Electrical Engineering

Academic and Industry Background: I am an undergraduate student on Electrical Engineering(emphasis on Control and Automation. Currently I am a researcher and developer on the Embedded Systems and Pervasive Computing Laboratory on the Universidade Federal de Campina Grande, on a Multitouch Project, in cooperation with the Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia ( Nokia Institute of Technology), where my work is mainly conducted on computer vision, especially with hand, blob and finger recognition and association.  I have worked for a computer manufacturer company customizing Linux Distributions for easing their usage for people that are not acquainted with Linux. And also, I am a member of the Brasil-VR team , the Latin American Champion and qualified for the Robocup Worldwide Championship in Graz, Austria 2009, on the Robocup Virtual Robots Rescue Simulation League.  My main research interests are Robotics, Computer Vision, SLAM(Simultaneous Localization and Mapping), Probabilistic Robotics, etc.

Open source development experience: My open source experience is mostly from the work cited above. For the project proposal the main experience in my opinion is the one conducted in C++ for our code to the Robocup. Also, OpenCV experience for the development on the Multitouch Project. Have developed a python Open Source API for interacting Lego Mindstorms NXT with Nokia Linux OS based Devices. And also, a C++ platform for robots interaction with Wireless Networks.

Development Methodologies: The work is going to be conducted within 20 hours each week and continuous contact/ online meetings with the mentors. A project tracking technology is definitely going to be adopted. The project proposal consists on a research and development one, so some part of the time is going to be allocated to the first matter. The implementation will be done on the C++ Language, using the Linux Platform and the CodeBlocks IDE, as the implementation is going to be on the top of Tbeta, and there is a project from this IDE on the Tbeta repository. Also, the algorithms implementation is going to use the OpenCV library on the above mentioned language.

Project Proposal: The proposal is to provide a plugin for Tbeta that would allow the recognition , tracking, and association between hand, blobs and fingers, augmenting the opportunities for applications that could make use of this additional information.

The reason for picking specific project:
The Reason for picking the specific project is that it is something that I am currently researching and working on, as well as these additions to Tbeta, would be really useful for my lab’s application developers.  And also, that would be an amazing opportunity to get even more involved to the nui community and give a small/although really wanted contribution for the enhancement of this wonderful application.

Activity level within the NUI Group Community:
Unfortunately I have not been as involved as I wanted with the NUI Group Community, however the GSOC 09 seems as a wordless opportunity for interacting and contributing with the community, especially with the “gurus”, and developers related to the touchlib/tbeta community.

Time working multi-touch, natural user interfaces, HCI and related fields:
Specifically with multi-touch, I have been working for 6 months, but for HCI and related fields I have been working for more than 2, 5 years.

We also allow space for optional details the student sees fit:
Gladly , I am being fully supported by the lab, and by professors from my university, including technical and financial and comprehension support for being able to achieve the things proposed and even negotiating on the top of it for guaranteeing hopefully the acceptance to the GSOC 09, as a student mentored by the NUI Community.

What are the chances?  grin

File Attachments
gsoc09_proposal.pdf  (File Size: 382KB - Downloads: 2060)

Posted: 01 April 2009 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-04

Proposal After First Revision.

File Attachments
gsoc09_proposal.pdf  (File Size: 508KB - Downloads: 319)

Posted: 03 April 2009 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-04

Second Revision smile

File Attachments
gsoc09_proposal.pdf  (File Size: 542KB - Downloads: 1285)

Posted: 03 April 2009 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-12
Total Posts:  4

really great!
Being able to track hand would be a huge step forward on MT apps development.

Hope you get approved!

Signature 

Life is random. Live a shuffle life.
-----------wouwlabs.com-----------