need Help on my first application (flash email client)
Posted: 07 April 2009 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-31
Total Posts:  2

Hi ,I am very new to Multi touch and action script 3.0, I just watched Lynda action script training smile and i need to start on some real application so I can learn more, I would like to build my Flash email client that can open my email (yahoo, hotmail, Gmail, POP3) from my application .is there any API, Class , tutorial or advice you can give to me, can i really access this accounts throw flash or no.

Thank you

Posted: 07 April 2009 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-09
Total Posts:  1499
Administrator

Ahh so you want to make a POP3 or IMAP client then… I know its possible with new AS3 sockets however you might face some issues connecting directly to gmail because “cross domain” security rules.

Heres an excerpt from: http://www.flashguru.co.uk/actionscript-3-new-capabilities

Taking my own advice, i have been busy coding a fully Flash based Email & News Client. Using the new Binary Sockets in Actionscript 3 i have successfully implemented four common internet protocols (SMTP, Pop3, IMAP and NNTP) which i will release the source-code for in the very near future. Not only that, but i ha

Here is an idea on the code you’d use:

//defines a connection between the mail server and your computer
var yourSocket:Socket = new Socket("incoming_mail_server"110);
yoursocket.addEventListener(ProgressEvent.SOCKET_DATA,openSocketConnection);
function 
openSocketConnection(evt:ProgressEvent):void {
//Writes your email and password in a unicode format that the pop3 server can read .

s.writeUTFBytes("emailaddress\n");

s.writeUTFBytes("password\n");

s.writeUTFBytes("STAT\n");
//Sends the data written in UTFBytes through the socket connection

s.flush();
//At this point you should consult a pop3 reference guide to preform functions on the server.
}

Also see: http://groups.google.com/group/flex_india/browse_thread/thread/89495ca9ad701b9f/962fc6839b25adc6

Signature 

~

Posted: 08 April 2009 03:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-31
Total Posts:  2

Thank you Christian for this valuable information, I fixed some errors in your code to who come after

//defines a connection between the mail server and your computer
var yourSocket:Socket = new Socket("incoming_mail_server"110);
yoursocket.addEventListener(ProgressEvent.SOCKET_DATA,openSocketConnection);
function 
openSocketConnection(evt:ProgressEvent):void {
//Writes your email and password in a unicode format that the pop3 server can read .

yourSocket.writeUTFBytes("USER emailaddress\n");

yourSocket.writeUTFBytes("PASS password\n");

yourSocket.writeUTFBytes("STAT\n");
//Sends the data written in UTFBytes through the socket connection

yourSocket.flush();
//At this point you should consult a pop3 reference guide to preform functions on the server.
}

also I found very useful Video here:
http://www.gotoandlearn.com/play?id=69

Sorry for my bad grammar .
Regards,
Rami Khalil

Posted: 08 April 2009 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-03-15
Total Posts:  224

You will only be able to use this application if you are running it from your computer, because then you wont get cross domain issues as Christian mentioned.

Posted: 15 January 2020 01:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-02-07
Total Posts:  14

We Provide Our Customers With Latest and up-to-date Dumps Questions & Answers with 100% Exam Passing Guarantee. We Promise Exceptional Success in First Attempt. 820-605 Practice Test Questions Answers