1 of 2
The Two Types of PS3 Eye Stock Lenses (Pictures of Each)
Posted: 17 April 2009 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

Here is picture proof that there are two types of stock PS3 Camera Lenses.
One is the easily modified one (the Good one), which is mostly sold inside the USA, and the un-modifiable one (the Bad one) sold mostly outside the USA.
First off, here are some pictures of the different boxes Sony packages them in:

20083315294257725.jpg
Sony_PS3_EyeCamera.jpg

As some members have pointed out, the box type doesnt mean you’ll get a Good lens or not.
The cameras look exactly the same on the outside, except for the most outer piece on the lens.
These are pictures of the Good one:

IMG_1640_s.jpg
IMG_1643_s.jpg

These are pictures of the Bad one:

IMG_1641_s.jpg
IMG_1642_s.jpg

And here they are side by side:

IMG_1644_s.jpg

You may not be able to tell that well, but the Good one (right) has a curved outer glass lens piece, and the Bad one (left) has a flat outer lens piece.
When you take it apart, you can see the biggest difference and the cause of the problem with the Bad one (on the left):

IMG_1645_s.jpg

Bad one:

IMG_1646_s.jpg

Good one:

IMG_1647_s.jpg

You’ll notice that the Bad one has a larger outer-most piece of glass than the Good one (on the right).
As far as I can tell, in this camera’s stock lens, there are two pieces of glass and one piece that is the IR blocking filter.
The IR blocking filter is the piece that needs to be removed and replaced with an IR Band Pass filter which you can see in my other ps3 threads.
The problem is that the Bad one has the IR blocking filter between the two other pieces of glass, and the Good one has it closest to the sensor on the PCB.
Thus, you cannot modify the stock lens on the Bad one, without destroying the lens.  You will have to buy a new m12 mount and a new lens.
To modify the Good one, just follow the video which you can see at this thread:  http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/4189/

Click these thumbnails for some larger versions of the above pictures:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 17 April 2009 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-02-11
Total Posts:  155

Nice discovery Peau! Explains a few things to say the least.
Good work documenting!

Signature 

.Limpa

Posted: 17 April 2009 01:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-13
Total Posts:  50

I bought mine down here in the Netherlands yesterday and didn’t have the time to check the build… I hope i have the good one…

Posted: 17 April 2009 01:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-11-20
Total Posts:  111

Great dissovery. unfortunately i did not buy the good one in china. I have to use a new lens to replace it. Who knows how many focus is the original lens?

Posted: 17 April 2009 02:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-20
Total Posts:  13

I bought 2 ps3eye on german amazon and get 2x the “bad box” but both had the modifiable version inside.

Posted: 17 April 2009 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Dedicated
reborn - 17 April 2009 02:00 AM

I bought 2 ps3eye on german amazon and get 2x the “bad box” but both had the modifiable version inside.

Ok thanks reborn, Ill modify my post to reflect that the box type really isnt the best way to tell the difference.  Guess you have to look at the lens in the box.  Flat outer glass piece means Bad, curved outer glass piece is Good.

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 17 April 2009 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-03-11
Total Posts:  246
reborn - 17 April 2009 02:00 AM

Same blessing in disguise here but with only one cam smile

Besides: very nice documentary Peau!
It’s worth a sticky!

Signature 

My multi-touch DSI coffee-table
Touch it! - Just another multi-touch-blog

Posted: 17 April 2009 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-02-11
Total Posts:  155

Sure is!

Signature 

.Limpa

Posted: 17 April 2009 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-28
Total Posts:  18

I just open it:

dsc00065gyp.jpg
dsc00064fpy.jpg
dsc00066e.jpg

Posted: 17 April 2009 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-07-13
Total Posts:  71

Yeap, Peau you have great contribution in matter of the PS3Eye, I’m glad I take the chance to order the camera from you.

Posted: 17 April 2009 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-10
Total Posts:  7

Hello Peau,

Wow, great to see some good documentation about the problem. I bought a (bad) cam in the Netherlands andi wrecked it.

Is it possible that the two cam versions also have different CCD chips? I tested my PS3 camera versus a Microsoft cam and discovered that the PS3 was way less sensitive to IR light (880nm)

I don’t know if it is relevant but my camera states: ov538 SOLUTION (V7,3)

Posted: 17 April 2009 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-13
Total Posts:  22

I’ve noticed this too when bought some to try from Best Buy in Canada. I tried two cameras from the first type of box. One had the good lens and the other had the bad one.
Both were from the same store off the same shelf.

The one with the “bad” lens came with the cables wrapped with some crap red rubber band. The one with the “good” lens came with the standard black twisty tie. So I figured the “bad” lens one was refurbished and stuffed back on the shelf or something…

Posted: 17 April 2009 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-04
Total Posts:  565
Elite

Its amazing just how much mass produced items can differ!  No match for your eagle eye peau!  big surprise

Signature 

}---)))@

V JAY!  http://www.v-lux.net LASER tut http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/6407/

Architectural Technician and Building Surveys

http://www.jpgainsfordassociates.com

Posted: 17 April 2009 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Dedicated

The key guys if you are shopping for one outside the US (since i haven’t seen any Bad ones from the US yet) is to simply look at the final glass piece on the lens.  If it looks curved then you are Good, if it looks flat then it’s Bad.  I immediately knew that camera was bad when the lens didn’t look like the ton of other ones that Ive modded in the last month.  Thus all I can say to people outside the US who cant order them from a brick and mortar store is to know that you may order a camera with a unmodifiable stock lens when you are buying one online.

Signature 

Multitouch Blog

Posted: 17 April 2009 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-15
Total Posts:  187

Hey Peau, youre doing a great job. I´m new to this multitouch and i am fascinated by this stuff. it is really impressive what you can do on a rather small budget. i´m just experimenting since three days on making a simple prototype out of an old 18 inch LCD. i bought yesterday a ps3eye here in hamburg germany. i got the “good” one smile i was sure when i saw the curved lens. it was packaged in box type 2.  thanks for your advice. it was at medimax wandsbek (electronics retailer chain) if someone is interested where to get a good one in hamburg.

getting the acrylic was a little bit harder but i found a small manufacturer cutting any size and having any thickness. the best is these acrylic-guys also polished the edges in no time (they have an automated polishing machine for this), was cool to see this, but makes a lot of noise. They are called “abstrakte transparenz” in hamburg if someone wants to know. The price was also good and it took me just a 1/4 hour. They are also doing with the “magic” DSI acrylic (here called fluoreszierendes acryl smile, but it´s about 100 something euros per square meter, as i remeber from the talking about coloured 5mm of these. they look so cool, they are shining (big plates of acrylic) from the edges when the sun beams from the window.

so thanks again for delivering so much info and keep on.
now i have to go to action and get rid of the ir filter smile

Posted: 17 April 2009 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-13
Total Posts:  10

I was about to go get a PS3 camera here in Germany. Luckily I came across your post. Excellent pictures. Thx

Signature 

Where did all the NUI go?

1 of 2