2 of 2
Building my FTIR LCD setup - lots of pics! 
Posted: 18 October 2009 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-07
Total Posts:  9

is there an update for this project? did you complete yet?

Posted: 19 October 2009 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-09
Total Posts:  1499
Administrator

This is great project documentation thanks 10x

Signature 

~

Posted: 19 October 2009 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-20
Total Posts:  46

Hi guys

Sorry that you didn’t hear of me for a long time! Shame on me.

The project was for school, so I really had to rush things in the end and did not make much pictures while testing.

Anyway, this is how it ended:

I bought a PS3 eye to be able to see better IR light, the camera did not work so well. I was very disappointed because the blobs were still not very visible with the PS3 eye. (I had no compliant surface). It took a real good pressure to get a blob.
Also, my LED’s did not work out the way they should… they got really really really hot and had like 3 V over them, while they should have 1.8 V.
So, the project kind of failed, and short after my final exhibition with the other prototype (the bigger one, see other post), I decided it was way too big for my room.. And I also bought a Wacom drawing tablet and that worked just as good for photoshop, the main reason I builded the screen.

So, after a few days, I dismantled the screen and sold the PS3 eye again. The bounding box is now somewhere in a garden of some students in Eindhoven, rotting away…

But:
having the backlight and the LCD seperated, the screen gets really ugly. You can see the PCB’s and the reflections etc. You need a diffuser if you want to have a good light from the backlight. But, that diffuser makes detecting blobs very hard!
It is probably better to have the original backlight directly to the LCD screen, but without backreflector. The camera can see through the backlight (I think...) and you might see the screen.
Be carefull when you open up your screen, and make sure that it is clean when u put it back together. I now have some ugly dimples in the screen and some hairs rasberry lol

So, if you want to LCD FTIR, make sure you wire your leds right, and have the backlight as close as you can to the LCD. The IR should go through!
Like this:

}}>-----------------------------------------<{{ - acryl and LED’s
}}>-----------------------------------------<{{ - LCD screen
}}>-----------------------------------------<{{ - BACKLIGHT without reflective back

\ /
<||> camera

>-----------------------------------------------< reflection in your whole box to reflect the backlight again.

Sorry that I quitted this project and didn’t tell you guys. Good luck with your own builds!

Signature 

LCD-FTIR in progress! xD

Posted: 29 January 2010 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-25
Total Posts:  42

sinnsyk, love the project, would you mind posting some info on your lcd in the compatible lcd panel thread, we could use the info, even :http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/7119/

2 of 2