42” DI Wooden Table
Posted: 30 April 2009 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-07
Total Posts:  27

scryTable_pic046small.jpg
Concept art: (blender3d)

Rear DI reactiVision Linux Project:

Greetings. I thought I would take a little time introduce my MT project to the NUI group and show the progress that has been made thus far.
First I would like to thank everyone here. I could not have gotten this far without this fantastic community. I’ve been working at this for a few months off and on. The hard part was waiting for parts to arrive from distant lands.  grin

The goal is to create a MT tabletop using reactiVision that can provide an interactive surface for D&D style gaming. Fiducials will be used to interact with the surface and environments. The surface will need to be able to recognize fingers, fiducials, and possibly miniature figurines. Seating should be available for up to 6 players and 1 DM. The main goal is to display interactive overhead maps that can be used by the players. We have bunch of ideas floating around for coding the actual application but for now the focus is to get the basics working.

Parts:
BenQ MP512ST projector
PS3 eye camera (converted to 850nm IR bandpass with wide angle lens)
NIR Optical Filter, 850DF20, 11.5mm painted edge
2.1mm 160-Degree Wide Angle Lens
Walmart mirror (will be made FS soon)
Computer:
---Debian 5.01
---AMD Athalon 64 4000+ (clocked @ 2.4 GHZ presently)
---2 GB Ram
---Nvidia GTX 7800 (256 MB ram)
4x 48 IR LED arrays 850nm

I used my 3D model as a guide to create the plans for the frame and built the frame from 2x4 studs. I wanted it to be solid because there would be up to 7 people at the table. The interactive surface area is 3 feet square. There will be about a 12 inch shelf around the entire outside edge for the players to place books/dice etc. on.

Frame:
frame2small.jpg
frame3small.jpg
frame7small.jpg
I used vellum for the surface. I was unable to find a 3 foot roll at the begining so I used a 2 foot roll and just make sections for testing. The final surface will be one single sheet.

Parts arriving:
partssmall.jpg
The small gray rectangle is a sample of the 7D006 Plexiglas from Ancalagon. After I sell my children wink (its expensive) I will order some of this great material to replace my current surface.

I then went thought the process of converting my PS3eye to add the IR pass filter and the wide angle lens. Again, without the great information form this community, this part would have been folly. I bought the cheap webcam from Hong Kong that was suggested to replace the lens housing and the filter was purchased from omegabob off ebay. The whole process took only an hour or so after I read all the information provided here and had all the parts.
ps3eye_001small.jpg
ps3eye_002small.jpg
ps3eye_converted.jpg

The IR arrays took awhile to arrive. While I waited I tested a few different screen materials and poured through he forums some more. I settled on vellum for now.
frame8small.jpg

A few nights ago I finally got all the parts working, drivers installed, and reactiVision up and running. There is still a lot of fine tuning that need to be done but here are my test results.
reactivision001.jpg
reactivision002.jpg
reactivision003.jpg

To do list: Not complete I am sure.
Convert the mirror to a front surface mirror.
Install cooling fans.
Calibrate reactiVision to compensate for the wide angle lens.
Install cable/wire management.
Maybe try rosco gray surface.
Work on permanent fiducials.

Image Attachments
frame2small.jpgframe3small.jpgframe7small.jpgframe8small.jpgpartssmall.jpgps3eye_001small.jpgps3eye_002small.jpgreactivision001.jpgreactivision002.jpgscryTable_pic046small.jpg

Posted: 30 April 2009 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-18
Total Posts:  881

Welcome , Dude !
very nice job ! i am sure the final result will be even better than the nice blender sketches .

Did you already started your D&D like game ?

Signature 

How many touches can you simultaneously perform ? 
Coming soon : EveryWall MT / Multi LaserPointers / MT SMS Wall
le WIKI en Fran├žais

Posted: 30 April 2009 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-30
Total Posts:  612
Elite

I noticed you are going to do a DI setup but talk about creating a silicone layer. The silicone layers is only needed for ftir setups - not for DI. For DI you only need a good diffuser for the infra red spotlights and a projection screen (can be the same layer).

Signature 

MT4j - Multi-Touch for Java!

Posted: 30 April 2009 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-07

@jimihertz - Thanks. We have just started looking at the application side. I am not the best programmer so I am going to lean heavily on a friend who has much more experience in that area.
@TherioN - I must have misunderstood. I was hoping to get some more defined blobs by adding silicone. I guess I will order some Rosco gray and see how that does. I have removed the silicone comments from the post as to not misdirect any others.  LOL

Posted: 04 May 2009 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-07

Finally got a little time to work on testing the table a bit. Here are the initial results.
Tested using tbeta.

Posted: 04 May 2009 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

Really fantastic build SpynalTom!

The video looks great and the table seems to be very responsive. smile What fps is the camera running at?

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 04 May 2009 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-07

Thanks Seth(cerupcat)! I’m doing it all for the t-shirt of course.  grin
The camera is running 320x240 @ 100FPS using the very fine PS3 v1.1 of tbeta. I had to switch over to my Windows partition for testing but I have faith there will be a Linux/tbeta/PS3eye at some point. I want to use fiducials for this project so I might end up using tbeta down the line if fiducials become supported.

Posted: 04 May 2009 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-30
Total Posts:  321

Really smooth setup you got there. You must have a really well cleaned up installation of your OS because I have seen people with other computers choke with this stuff. Either they run their cameras at really low frame rates or they have really really junky computers because I can all the Tbeta and programs I need with my computer in power saving mode (IN VISTA) at 1.6 ghz on my core 2 duo and 8600m gt. So, I am kind of hijacking your thread but, as general memo to all people who have systems with tracking that isn’t all that smooth; it’s not just your computer’s fault and it may lie in your camera but most likely in your calibration settings. I know that on my LLP setup I have a hard time getting smooth tracking but most of the time it is due to the calibration settings not being perfect.

Even if it takes you a long time, get your calibration settings perfect.

I went on a real tangent there, got tired of replying with single sentence posts so I decided to say something here.

Signature 

I’m bad about monitoring posts so if you have a question regarding something I’ve said, then just send me a PM.

Posted: 05 May 2009 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-07

Thanks fuz3. I agree that taking the time to calibrate makes the experience much more enjoyable. I am still not happy with my settings completely but they are getting better every time.
I did some testing today of the Google Earth multi-touch application. See http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/5422/ for more info.
So fun.  LOL

Posted: 07 May 2009 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-07

Quick update:
I finally mounted my PC hardware in the table, and installed my fan system. I also started replacing my duct tape with real cable management hmmm . I am using 2x120mm fans on either side of the projector to cool the table. They claim to be temperature sensitive and will be slower/quieter when the table is cooler. We will see. One pulls the air into the table and one pushes air out. I will add filters later.

Fan stats:
Fan speed: 1300 - 2200 RPM
Air Delivery: 54.3 - 92 CFM
Noise: 29 - 39 dB

pc%20mounted01.jpg
pc%20mounted02.jpg
fan_mounted.jpg
fan_mounted_front.jpg

Image Attachments
fan_mounted.jpgfan_mounted_front.jpgpc%20mounted01.jpgpc%20mounted02.jpg

Posted: 07 May 2009 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-05
Total Posts:  21

Hi SpynalTom,

nice clean setup you have there...well done wink
pictures of everyones setups does help everyone to visualize what we are all doing
and thanks for sharing yours

regards

Posted: 07 May 2009 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-03-11
Total Posts:  246

That looks very nice and clean, keep on! smile

Signature 

My multi-touch DSI coffee-table
Touch it! - Just another multi-touch-blog

Posted: 16 May 2009 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-05-16
Total Posts:  9

Hi SpynalTom

Is that “2.1mm 160-Degree Wide Angle Lens” easy to replace Ps3 eye original len?

and why you replace to wide angle lens instead of buying couple PS3 eye to make large screen Table?

thanks in advance

Vossler

Posted: 19 May 2009 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-07

@Vossler - Yes the lens was very easy to replace. I bought a very cheap camera that had the same lens housing to replace the stock one. I think this thread was were I started for info on the cam. It’s really easy to find on ebay.
http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/4837/ Multi-cam support is not available for everything that I am working with so I thought I would try one cam to start with. Also I may move to a multi-cam solution in the future if it becomes more supported. I am still very much experimenting.

Posted: 22 May 2009 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-07

Update:

I just received my fiducial pucks from a local plastic fabricator. I am very pleased with them. I also was able to get the wooden tabletop boarder built and installed on the main frame. I am happy with how it turned out. I hope to have couple test pictures next week of the table up and running. I also was able to use pantyhose for my fan filters and it seems to be working well so far. I will spend this long weekend sanding and adding some polyurethane to the tabletop. More to come.

Image Attachments
pucks1.jpgpucks2.jpgtable1.jpgtable2.jpg

Posted: 27 May 2009 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-07

My table has finally been installed in it’s permanent home. It’s functional enough to replace my existing “top-down” projected tabletop setup. Also, I wanted to get it up and running to get some feedback from the gaming group. I have started testing some basic reacTIVision stuff with a simple client written in C++. We have a long way to go on the application side but the hardware is finished and in good working order. Here is a video of some of the first live tests. I have also attached a few pics of it installed. Pay no attention to the ugly fellow mucking up the shot.

P.S. The new working title for the table is now Dragon’s Eye View Game Table, or DEV Game Table. The application will be called Dragon’s Eye View, or DEView.

Image Attachments
DEVTable01.jpgDEVTable_installed.jpgDEVTable03.jpgDEVTable04.jpg

Posted: 27 May 2009 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-04
Total Posts:  676

Great stuff SpynalTom! Love the work you’ve done so far… Looking forward to seeing the D&D game too wink

Signature 

Get Sparked at sparkon.net
ORION Multi-Touch Display (blog)
My YouTube

Posted: 28 May 2009 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-27
Total Posts:  42

wow, that is impressive workmanship! you really put a lot of work into it and it’s showing professionally. what are the pucks for? how do they work?

Signature 

Why are you so angry? Show me on the dolly where the nasty man touched you…

Posted: 28 May 2009 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-07

@Fairlane: Thank you sir. I will keep the community updated as the application develops. I plan to release it under the GPL when I have something that functions.
@qryptiq: Thanks very much. The pucks have fiducial markers (symbols) on the bottom that are identified by the software. Each symbol corresponds to a different function/action within the program (i.e. Symbol#1 = Map loading menus, Symbol#2=Grid sizing and alignment , etc.) If you watch the video in my last post you will see them in action. As each puck is placed on the table the software identifies it and displays a colored circle that corresponds to that fiducial’s program.

Posted: 28 May 2009 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-22
Total Posts:  56

Very nice setup SpynalTom!
You - and the other experienced community members - are guides to us newbies still not able complete our basic setup due to hardware shipping times…

SpynalTom - 22 May 2009 03:19 PM

Update:

I just received my fiducial pucks from a local plastic fabricator..

Your plastic disks look very nice and also working very well as fiducials in your video.

How did you actually put fiducials symbols on the disks?
did you engraved them? did you print with IR or normal inks?

thanks,
blackdir

Signature 

----------
NOTE: apologies if I murdered Shakespeare’s language, it was not my intention.. it is just that I’m not a native speaker! smile

Posted: 28 May 2009 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-07

@blackdir: Thanks I could not have ever gotten this far without the NUI Group community. I hope my post will help someone with their project. My fiducials symbols were printed with a standard ink-jet printer. I am planning on experimenting with some other inks and printing styles, but for now this basic approach is working. I then cut the fiducial out with scissors and attached it to the bottom of the puck with a disk cut from a laminating sheet. It works great. I do have some issues with camera focus the further I get from the center of my table. I am hoping to fix that with some better printed fiducials. I will post here if I figure anything out that works better. One idea is to go over the fiducial symbol with a black sharpie but I haven’t had time or patience to try that yet.  cheese

Image Attachments
fiducial1.jpg

1 of 3