Selling MultiTouch
Posted: 01 May 2009 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-20
Total Posts:  39

I have been wondering why there isn’t a company or person that sells a multitouch device with simple apps (similar to the MS surface) to the public at reduced price.  I know there are many companies that mainly sell B2B at high prices, but nothing really affordable to the general public or businesses.

I figure a good multitouch DI system with all the right parts, including computer and projector would run about $1,000.  So why is it not available for under $10k?  Is it due to the patent restrictions on these devices?

Also, if a software is open source, could a package software hardware bundle be sold? or will one need to have the open source software maker’s permission?

Let me know your thoughts.

Posted: 01 May 2009 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-18
Total Posts:  405

Its because the projects are not complete in terms of functionality
there can be more done to enhance multitouch.
Its not entirily stable.
By that I mean no offence to any of my friends here

Signature 

http://melbournemultitouch.blogspot.com/
introducing mt to melbourne, one touch @ a time

Posted: 01 May 2009 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-13
Total Posts:  50

The easy question would be : Why sell it for less then 10K?

Posted: 01 May 2009 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-20
Total Posts:  39
Jinxz - 01 May 2009 01:45 AM

for the same reason tim2hawkes mentioned above.  Its not fully refined.

What are your thoughts on the other part of this question:
if a software is open source, could a package software hardware bundle be sold? or will one need to have the open source software maker’s permission?

Posted: 01 May 2009 02:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-05
Total Posts:  163

For every market, the early adopters will sell it at a higher price to keep up with the development costs. Since multi-touch sector hasn’t saturated yet, more companies will enter to the market and the prices will fall down considerably. However, I don’t see a commercial future in table-like devices (maybe 4-5 years only) as organizations started to experiment with nicely designed, small-size LCD MT systems with less pricing.

Görkem

Posted: 01 May 2009 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-15
Total Posts:  187
gorkem - 01 May 2009 02:45 AM

… However, I don’t see a commercial future in table-like devices (maybe 4-5 years only) as organizations started to experiment with nicely designed, small-size LCD MT systems with less pricing.

Görkem

Thats one strong point you are completely right on. on the other side for bigger MT walls (non tiled) or just non standard measuerements it will be difficult with lcds or multitouchoverlays so projector and camera setup will still be the choice for a while i think (no need to make a table thing constrution though).
maybe there could be a niche for selling kits for bigger installations where parts are preassembled and trimmed for maximum efficiency.
this probably would go along with some kind of consulting and also troubleshooting and help on installation.
i did not go through the whole business wiki directory yet, so maybe there already are companies doing it this way.
i mean not installing themselves at the client but shipping just the hardware and giving support like http://multitouch.fi/ making with standard sized MT lcd boxes.

and also think of using fiducials. are there any capcitive screens supporting this or able to “see” a mobile phone on the surface for example?

Posted: 01 May 2009 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-13
Total Posts:  50
UniqueImports - 01 May 2009 02:12 AM

Jinxz - 01 May 2009 01:45 AM

for the same reason tim2hawkes mentioned above.  Its not fully refined.

What are your thoughts on the other part of this question:
if a software is open source, could a package software hardware bundle be sold? or will one need to have the open source software maker’s permission?

The fact that the software isn’t ‘refined’ yet has nothing to do with the price imho. If a MT device is sold it shouldn’t be sold as a product but as a solution. What i mean by that is that if i go out selling MT devices i will quadruple the price of the solution with the custom software that has to be written for the customers specific wishes.
The fact that Jeff Han sells his product for 100K+ isn’t because the wall is that price but because the solution also incorporates the custom software.
What you think that the weakness of MT is, is imho partially its strengh.

A friend of mine works at ASML and sells the 30+ million dollar devices to Intel (and other early adaptors) and even they can’t guarantee that their product is bug free. A reason to cross-sell a care-pack to their customers wink

Posted: 01 May 2009 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-16
Total Posts:  2

all the parts including computer and project for under $1000 um… that is a cheap computer and projector and if that is the case then performance would lag and i wouldn’t want to spend anything on a lagging system.