Engadget

United states Patent Application 20070177803

USA patent application

touchdict.jpg

Posted: 04 August 2007 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-08
Total Posts:  1008

yeah sure, and i want to patent air and water while im at it, we use it on this forum, so we call it prior art, how is that ever going to be approved, only in USA…

Posted: 04 August 2007 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-06-06
Total Posts:  29

first of i want to say that apple is patenting a Natural User Interface am i right ? i would say yes and since you can not patent air water breathing and crap i would say that this patent is 100% BS but knowing apple will get it and my propblome is how can you patent somthing hat is Natural such as breathinig talking sleeping i could go on but i wont

Posted: 04 August 2007 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-06-06
Total Posts:  29

oh and did you know that apple has patented so many BS things such as the one click download do i event need to say more ??

Posted: 05 August 2007 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-07-04
Total Posts:  12

(Sorry, I’m going to dupe my comments from somewhere not too far from here, because I grow fatigued...)

I think gestures to the extent described in Apple’s gesture dictionary are pointless. The purpose of having multiple touch points is to escape unnatural gestures!
With multitouch (of the theoretically infinite touch points variety), resizing an image does not need a stinking arbitrary gesture. It can track your touching the image and apply some simple math to resize it, rotate it, etc. as you move your fingers.
For example: One corner is being dragged, so the others will follow with it because the material is rigid enough. Two corners are being dragged in opposite directions, the material rotates AND expands such that those two corners are where you put them.
Elegant, tidy and natural. No gestures, just common sense!

I think creating a gesture-driven interface around this technology is backwards. Gestures are not a natural interface; they are a primitive compromise to provide quick control in limited interfaces like single-touch screens or keyboards & mice. That is not what this technology is about.

Posted: 08 August 2007 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-07-16
Total Posts:  15

Perhaps there should be a movement to develop an open source mutlitouch gesture dicitonary smile

Posted: 09 August 2007 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-07-25
Total Posts:  107
richardcarter - 08 August 2007 04:44 AM

Perhaps there should be a movement to develop an open source mutlitouch gesture dicitonary smile

Maybe gestures should be dumped for now and make good interfaces instead. Gestures are okay for some things but they never should be the only way to do things. for example opera. There’s buttons for anyone to see but there is also mouse gestures to navigate really fast.
By gestures I don’t mean dragging, rotating and resizing things on screen. Gestures are movements that doesnt seem to do anything directly on screen but which can be used for some commands. They should be extremely simple and understandable.

Posted: 09 June 2009 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-11
Total Posts:  80

simple and understable, that’s right; Nintendo is ‘using’ natural gestures to do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djAtPwY9jwk

¿how can we translate natural gestures (in multitotuch, hand’s gestures) in a way to control complex tasks, but easy? great field of work

Signature 

Rear DI, in progress: http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/6571/

Posted: 09 June 2009 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-05-27
Total Posts:  20

oh come on, this is ridiculous, is that a way to compete and block everyone else, i hope it gets dumped…

Signature 

-Helix Multi Touch Surface Screens (Egypt)! Ahmed NASSAR