1 of 5
Looking for MTGoogleEarth alpha testers
Posted: 03 May 2009 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-09-21
Total Posts:  120

Hello,

These last weeks I’ve worked on a prototype to get a multitouch version of Google Earth with Flex/AS3. Now I’m looking for “alpha testers” :D

In order to use this Flex MTGoogleEarth , you need :
- Touchlib + Flosc or Tbeta
- Flash player 9
- Web browser (compatible with GE plugin)
- Last version of Google Earth Plugin (r5.0)
- Application files embedded in zip file,
- Internet…

How to :
- You need to install last release of GE plugin (r5.0) which can be downloaded on this page.
If a previous release of GE plugin is already installed on your computer, you must uninstall it before.
- Unzip content of zip file on your disk and launch “GoogleEarthTouchable.html” file with your web browser.

Gestures :
- One finger : drag the earth
- Two fingers : rotate the earth or change distance from camera to “look at” point.
- Three fingers (two static and one moving up or down) : change tilt angle.
Demo here

What you need to know :
- This application doesn’t work with simulators, MT Tables only (because of focus problem).
- This application must be launched in a web browser.
- This application was tested with IE6 and IE7. No guaranty for others browsers (IE8 is not supported by GE plugin).

If you test this app, please let me know :
- OS used,
- Web browser used,
- problems (if you have problems),
- enhancements

Regards
Laurent

File Attachments
googleearth.zip  (File Size: 446KB - Downloads: 1293)

Posted: 04 May 2009 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
Total Posts:  1897
Dedicated

count me in, I take some exams for school and I try this right away

Signature 

One more but very useful blog : http://blog.cktouch.com/
Rear DI + Windows Seven = So Nice…

Posted: 05 May 2009 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-07
Total Posts:  27

I did some testing today. Great work. This was a lot of fun after I got it up and running.
Windows Vista Ultimate
Flash Player 10
IE7 and Firefox
tbeta PS3 version
Rear DI system

If I have any advice for folks testing I would say be patient. This takes a LONG time to initialize. After you start FLOSC and start the application walk away for awhile.
I tried Firefox and IE7. I did not have any luck with Firefox yet and I did have some troubles getting things up and running on IE7 also.
Here are the common errors I got when starting the application after FLOC was running. When this happened I had to stop and unload FLOSC completely or it would never connect. These were the same in Firefox also.

IE7 output
[4
/5/2009 14:53:14] 127.0.0.1 connected to TCP XML/Flash server.
[4/5/2009 14:53:14] Received UDP packetparsing OSC...
[4/5/2009 14:53:14] Client IP127.0.0.1 caused a write error and has been disco
nnected
[4/5/2009 14:53:14] 127.0.0.1 has disconnected from the server.
Exception in thread "Thread-10" java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
        at java
.util.AbstractList$Itr.checkForComodification(Unknown Source)

at java.util.AbstractList$Itr.next(Unknown Source)

at TcpServer.broadcastMessage(TcpServer.java:84)

at Gateway.broadcastMessage(Gateway.java:98)

at OscServer.run(OscServer.java:77)
[4/5/2009 14:53:14] Client IP127.0.0.1 caused a read error java.io.IOException
Stream closed Stream closedand has been disconnected.
[4/5/2009 14:53:14] 127.0.0.1 has disconnected from the server.

Sometimes I would connect and then the whole thing would hang up and I wasn’t able to get a good error output for you yet. After several reboots and restarts of FLOSC I was able to see communication between the app the services. At this point I tried a rotate but it moved a little and then hung up again. This were you need to be patient. Let it sit for a long time before you try anything. Try simple rotates at first. Until those are smooth anything fancy will usually cause a lock. Be patient, it’s worth it. If it blows up restart everything from scratch. Use task manager to make sure nothing is hung up in the background.

1. Load tbeta
2. Load FLOSC
3. Open GoogleEarthTouchable.html

After about 3 minutes of letting it sit I was able to start looking around fairly well. It just got better the longer I let it load/cache. I will do some more testing later also. I have included a few videos of the testing for your enjoyment. It still hangs up a bit when you move quickly into new areas but again patience is the key. Once it loads/caches up you can move around very well. Also I noticed that after I started it a few more times the wait was much less before it started responding well. I assume that it is caching some of the data? One thing I would like to see is gesture to reset the view back to North and no tilt.

Posted: 05 May 2009 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-09-21

Hi Tom,

Thank you for this feedback and for videos ! It’ll be helpfull.

Concerning problems and errors :
- Touchlib/TBeta : On my side I use Touchlib2 which is, according to me, more stable than Touchlib. Tbeta is even better. I already noticed that with “standard” applications.
- About cache system : You’re right, there’s a cache in GE but even with cache not initialized, I think GE should’nt freeze.
- Freezing problem : It’s a really interesting feedback cause i met lot of freezing problems with simulator but GE it’s quite smooth on my table. What i can say today : GE plugin is quite sensitive to focus/blur events. This is the main reason GE plugin can’t be used with simulators. When GE seems to freeze, you should try this : move mouse in browser (just a short move is ok). If freezing stops when you do this, it means this is a focus/blur problem and I’ll have to find another trick to bypass it.

May I ask you some more informations on your hardware config ?
- RAM,
- CPU,
- Video card,
- is your table quite sensitive to touch inputs ?

Thanks in advance and once again thanks for your feedback !
Best regards
Laurent

Posted: 05 May 2009 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-07
Total Posts:  27

Here is a link to my table and equipment stats. http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/5381/
The only change is that it is dual boot Windows/Linux. I have been using the Windows side for tbeta testing.
As for the sensitivity, I would say it’s a bit too sensitive at the moment. I am using a very thin plastic for the surface while I am waiting for some vellum to arrive in the mail. The plastic is a bit too thin in my opinion and I think it picks up interaction a few cm above the surface sometimes.

Posted: 05 May 2009 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-09-21

Nice table !

The reason I asked about sensitivity : I noticed on your video some problems with tilt gesture and i was wondering if it was a freezing problem or a problem with gestures definition. As lot of people, i use number of touch inputs to define my gestures (2 static fingers + 1 moving finger = tilt gesture) but sometimes i think gesture managers should be much more flexible because if table detects a fourth “false” blob (for example), tilt gesture is no more detected.

Posted: 08 May 2009 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-20
Total Posts:  36

i tested your alpha too laurent, and it worked very well. i did not encounter any freezes if i remember correctly, and the overall “smoothness” was fine. i will do more testing next week if i find some spare time in the lab. great application!

i saw the last video from SpynalTom, and it looked very “choppy” and “unresponsive”. i did not experience such a behavior. how fast is your machines/graphics hardware SpynalTom?

Posted: 08 May 2009 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-09-21

Hi Spliff,
Thanks for this feedback !
May you tell me more on configuration used : OS, browser, RAM, CPU and Video card ?
Thanks in advance !
Laurent

Posted: 08 May 2009 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-20
Total Posts:  36
laurent - 08 May 2009 06:27 AM

Hi Spliff,
Thanks for this feedback !
May you tell me more on configuration used : OS, browser, RAM, CPU and Video card ?
Thanks in advance !
Laurent

sure. i should have done that in the first place..

machine specs:
windows XP 32 bit
internet explorer 7
2GB ram
intel quadcore (not 100% sure which spec, will look it up on monday)
geforce 8800 gtx

i used touchlib 2.0 as touch-tracker

Posted: 08 May 2009 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
Dedicated

i doesn’t seem to work with me, I havn’t tried it with my MT table but with the tuio simulator it doesn’t work…
I’ll try this on my MT table probably next week, I keep you in touch…

Signature 

Posted: 13 May 2009 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
Dedicated

tried with my table, it launches but then almost freeze and do nothing when I touch it…

Signature 

Posted: 13 May 2009 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-09-21

Hi MashineGun,
May you send me some informations about specs of the computer you used for this test (OS, browser, RAM, CPU and Video card) ? I’ve seen some specs on your blog and this computer seems quite good.
May you also tell me what is your display configuration (800*600, 1024*768, ...) ?
Thanks in advance.
Laurent

Posted: 13 May 2009 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
Dedicated

Well my pc is a quiete good one I think : Intel Centrinon 2 Dual Core P7350 @2.00Ghz, 3Go (4 but 32 bits) RAM, Nvidia 9600M GT 512Mo DDR2, 1400*900…
Running Windows Seven RC, I have tried Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox…

Signature 

Posted: 13 May 2009 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-09-21

Yes your computer is quite a good one !

May be you should try to test it with a lower display resolution. On my side, i’ll try with a higher resolution and check performances issues.
I think you already got it on your computer but may be you should check if DirectX > 9.0 is setup on your computer. It’s recommended with GE plugin.

Note that GE plugin doesn’t work with IE8.

Posted: 13 May 2009 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
Dedicated

i’ll try this tomorrow because in france it is one in the morning… well GE doesn’t work with IE8 I’ve figured that out but i wanted to give it a try…
my direct x is that latest you could find…

Signature 

Posted: 13 May 2009 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-09-21

I’m in France too (Paris) and you’re right it’s late :D
I did a quick test, moving to 1400*900 and it’s still quite fluid on my computer.
Really strange.

1 of 5

‹‹ About wong....      Pie Chart Flash ››