You must be a logged-in member to vote
NUI Group Community Book - Multi-Touch Technologies
Posted: 31 May 2009 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09
Total Posts:  905

CIMG5103.JPG width=500 border=0
<div class="post_item">
We are proud to announce the *print* release of the first edition of the NUI Group community book “Multi-Touch Technologies”. This book comprises state of the art articles from the NUI Group Community Wiki, as well as several chapters written by leading experts in the field specifically for this publication. Detailing basic hardware technologies as well as the process of developing software suited for multi-touch systems, this book provides a technical introduction to the world of multi-touch.

You can download the book from here: project’s download page.

EDIT: Looks like nuicode is down at the moment: mirror here.

Please take a moment to download and take a look at the book, which is the product of the writing and hard work of over 20 people over the last two months. Distribution is they key for success for this book, so please link to it from your blogs, tweets, or just about however you can! The more people that we make aware of this publication and our community, the better - that is the ultimate aim of work such as this.[/size]

We need your feedback, especially if you buy a print copy-let us know what you think! Please post any bugs and leave any general feedback below. Remember to post if you’re interested in a print copy.

Thanks,
The NUI Group Authors

</div>

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !
Read Multi-Touch Technologies Book!

Posted: 02 June 2009 05:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-04
Total Posts:  565
Elite

Very cool however i feel that the recomended hardware camera part should give a bit more detail as to frame rates perhaps tabulate it as many of these cams will support multiple framerates and resoloutions also ROI.

Signature 

}---)))@

V JAY!  http://www.v-lux.net LASER tut http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/6407/

Architectural Technician and Building Surveys

http://www.jpgainsfordassociates.com

Posted: 02 June 2009 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-22
Total Posts:  556
Elite

I need to fix the cover art. I can send it 2 you later. Other then that woot!!!

Signature 

http://www.justinriggio.com cool mad
http://www.niceminds.com My blog

Posted: 02 June 2009 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-11
Total Posts:  80

What a good new!
I’ve reading Dan Saffer’s book, but with this… I think will be a great help to everyone really interested in multitouch, lot of thanks

Signature 

Rear DI, in progress: http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/6571/

Posted: 02 June 2009 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-18
Total Posts:  92

Pretty good!  I see the bugs I filed earlier got fixed, but I ran across a few more in my quick skim of it so I’ve filed those.  I don’t have indesign, so I can’t preview in that file, so it would be nice if each time a commit was made an updated PDF preview would also be committed to the repository to aid community proofreaders smile

Also, there’s no need to make a new file for each draft in the repository - that’s what SVN does automatically (it’s purpose is to retain previous versions), so you really just need the latest ID file, the latest dependencies, and the latest PDF export, and get rid of all the rest of the clutter in the repository - makes it easier for people to find things and know they’re the latest, plus it won’t confuse developers like me as much.

Signature 

Use and write multi-touch software on Linux easily! rp-mt-scripts
Rear DI desk with dual screen - completed
LCD LLP desk - in progress

Posted: 02 June 2009 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-03-26
Total Posts:  144

Hi, Basically is very good, I think the software .net portion need to update, CsTi is old and not update, can be check when was the last post. or most activities in last 6 months for .net threads

Win 7 MT SDK coming up this year. I see the mainstream MS services is Daniel D FW as input provider for win 7. and as controls, WPF MT FW, Mira, MultiTouchCore .. etc

I think it is good idea ask them their thought to see now and next 2 year road map. That way, they can combine their thought instead of create another wheel for same things.

Just only my thought, no offence for anyone. and sorry if I do.

Posted: 02 June 2009 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
justin - Ok, sounds good.
ajlovegrove - created a task: http://nuicode.com/issues/304
rpavlik - I’m a SVN noob smile Thanks for explaining that, I’ll clean up the repository tonight. I’ll correct the bugs you submitted tonight and re-upload a draft. We have been uploading updated PDFs frequently to the repository, but in the mess they’re probably impossible to find rasberry
uncledj - Thanks for your input - I’ll create a new task for that as well to discuss it: http://nuicode.com/issues/305

-rbedi100

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !

Posted: 02 June 2009 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-09
Total Posts:  1499
Administrator

hey guys… really stunning job on book smile i’m sure this will be a big help to future members!

Signature 

~

Posted: 02 June 2009 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-05
Total Posts:  163
justin - 02 June 2009 06:23 AM

I need to fix the cover art. I can send it 2 you later. Other then that woot!!!

That would be real great. Please file a bug on nuicode.com and attach the file there.. Thanks smile

Posted: 02 June 2009 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-03-11
Total Posts:  246

Wow that’s very great news, because I’m in the final stage of writing my diploma thesis and I need some more detailed infos. Now I’ve got a very good source filled with expert knowledge grin

You’re all doing a great job and that’s what I really love about this community!
I really appreciate your hard work!

Signature 

My multi-touch DSI coffee-table
Touch it! - Just another multi-touch-blog

Posted: 02 June 2009 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-04
Total Posts:  676

Well done to gorkem and rbedi100 and all who contributed to the realease of this book…

This will make a great resource to all studying multitouch grin

Signature 

Get Sparked at sparkon.net
ORION Multi-Touch Display (blog)
My YouTube

Posted: 02 June 2009 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-12
Total Posts:  1120

Great job guys… not to sound like a hater but some of the margins are off in the the document i would fix that.

Signature 

Company Website - Knode Research and Development
My Youtube

Posted: 02 June 2009 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09

Hey Taha,
Thx - Do you mean the inside margin? I made it 0.25” bigger than the outside margin on purpose - it accounts for the curling of the page when you bind it as a paper-back.

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !

Posted: 02 June 2009 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-28
Total Posts:  7

Hello,

I’m interested in the reading the book, but it will not download…

Shawn

Posted: 02 June 2009 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-09

Hi Shawn,
Here’s the direct download link: http://nuicode.com/attachments/download/112/First_Edition_Community_Release.pdf - if it doesn’t work, PM me your email and I’ll send it to you.
-rbedi100

Signature 

My Multi Touch Blog
Join us on NUI Chat !

Posted: 03 June 2009 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-05
Total Posts:  163
rpavlik - 02 June 2009 11:12 AM

Pretty good!  I see the bugs I filed earlier got fixed, but I ran across a few more in my quick skim of it so I’ve filed those.  I don’t have indesign, so I can’t preview in that file, so it would be nice if each time a commit was made an updated PDF preview would also be committed to the repository to aid community proofreaders smile

Also, there’s no need to make a new file for each draft in the repository - that’s what SVN does automatically (it’s purpose is to retain previous versions), so you really just need the latest ID file, the latest dependencies, and the latest PDF export, and get rid of all the rest of the clutter in the repository - makes it easier for people to find things and know they’re the latest, plus it won’t confuse developers like me as much.

This is what we are planning to do:

- Collect as much bugs as we can in a time frame, and then release another PDF file with a suffix of -updateN-datemonthyear.pdf where N increases 1 by 1 each time. These will be amendments to the 1st edition, and each update will include an update to the CHANGELOG file on the same directory.

- CHANGELOG will tell which bugs and/or feature requests are fixed.

- After a certain amount of time (i.e 2 to 4 months), we release an edition which includes all the amendments in previous updates.

This way, end users will only download the latest file, and we’ll be able to eliminate any potential misunderstandings.

Görkem

1 of 4