1 of 2
60” Portable Front LLP Concept
Posted: 02 July 2009 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-18
Total Posts:  270

Portable Large Interactive Display Concept - HyPe’s graduation project

Well… My long journey for getting a Master’s degree in Industrial Design ended last April, where I concluded my graduation project.

After a long break I am finally taking some time to present some of my work to the community, I hope you like it.

For the coming days I will be editing this post adding images and videos. For now, I have added three teaser images. When I have resolved some music issues in the video for youtube I will display that here as well.

A month ago my suitcase was featured on Bright.tv a dutch tech lifestyle magazine:
If you understand Dutch it might be interesting to see the whole video, but if you don’t understand Dutch, just scan through the vid you can see some actual footage.

http://www.bright.tv/series/mobiele-multitouch-tafel

-----------------------------------------------------------

For a local Dutch company called DPI Animation House I developed a concept where stakeholders in the building industry are given a tool to discuss their large sized building plans.

Traditional building plans have always been printed and presented on large sized documents, nowadays some architects still prefer these physical building plans; according to some because, scale and detail can be communicated much better on paper than on computer screens.
But since building plans are created on a computer more and more, printing them out for a meeting and handling during meetings can get messy.

The concept presented here is only one way to help supporting the stakeholders in this business. The concept features a suitcase which can be rolled and carried to meetings where building plans need to be discussed. This concept is realized in a physical prototype with a fully working interactive surface. The software which is presented in the video only reflects part of the total concept.

Some technical aspects:

The system is placed on the desired surface and generates a 60 inch projection with an ultra short throw projector.
Integrated camera with front LLP system - yes occlusion is present, but this does not seem to pose a problem when operating.
Wireless pens are used to annotate the CAD files and images, this is presented in the concept but not actually working (yet).
Prototype weight: 13 kg - woodworks make the prototype much heavier.
Proposed weight: 6-7 kg - with polyester fiber casing.

The software part is powered by a standard laptop which is carried along with the suitcase.
I used tbeta to receive and relay the touch inputs to a proof of concept flash program which could load up CAD files and images. In the bright.tv video you can see the CCV calibration screen, but for the graduation presentation CCV wasn’t out yet.

-----------------------------------------------------------

During the project I made a lot of pictures and videos, I had some time to look through some of them, I put together a video where I was testing the laser setup. Any questions ofcourse can be put in this topic.

Image Attachments
Teaser1.jpgTeaser2.jpgTeaser3.jpg
 Signature 

my work

Posted: 02 July 2009 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

Nice work and congrats on getting your masters smile

Can’t wait to see the updates/video/images.

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 02 July 2009 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-18
Total Posts:  881

congrats , master !!

what’s inside the box ! a kinda “ play anywhere “ project ?

if you need some music , feel free to use mine

Signature 

How many touches can you simultaneously perform ? 
Coming soon : EveryWall MT / Multi LaserPointers / MT SMS Wall
le WIKI en Fran├žais

Posted: 02 July 2009 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-22
Total Posts:  204

Reallly nice HyPe! looks awesome

Signature 

sharathpatali.wordpress.com

Posted: 03 July 2009 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-04
Total Posts:  676

Hey well done HyPe! Congratulations on the Master’s degree! Looking forward to seeing more of your concept grin

Signature 

Get Sparked at sparkon.net
ORION Multi-Touch Display (blog)
My YouTube

Posted: 03 July 2009 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-03-11
Total Posts:  246

Very brilliant idea smile
Congratulations on your master!

Signature 

My multi-touch DSI coffee-table
Touch it! - Just another multi-touch-blog

Posted: 03 July 2009 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-12
Total Posts:  1111

Congrats Mate..
Can’t wait to see more of it.

Signature 

Company Website - Knode Research and Development
My Youtube

Posted: 04 July 2009 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-18

I added a link to a video article that was made by a Dutch lifestyle magazine.
I also added some technical aspects.
If there are any questions, feel free to ask (I cannot answer all questions but will try whenever I can).

edit - Youtube video is added, somehow on the one browser you get the original audio, on the other you get the Youtube approved AudioSwap audio. Either way it’s still a temporary video until I get my broken laptop back.

Signature 

my work

Posted: 04 July 2009 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-19
Total Posts:  33

respect my man, respect smile

and congrats on receiving your degree smile

Signature 

Work with what you got, Make your way to the top! - Mike Shinoda

Posted: 06 July 2009 05:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-04
Total Posts:  565
Elite

Hi

Nice concept, i work with A1 and A0 drawings all day and it can get tedious! A couple of points for your consideration:

Be very carefull trundeling a case around with a hot projector bulb inside! I have done this before and let a rather enthusiastic person wheel the case out to the van, POP the bulb broke!  Even with a cool bulb shaking it about can’t be good! Perhaps engineer a sprung cradle for the PJ.

In my experiance proofing a drawing is very diffucult on screen even with a large projected image, this is due to resoloution, even with the joys of rotatable scalable its still no substitute for a hard paper copy Yet.  This could be improved with a higher res PJ or perhaps 2 1080p PJs together.  Alas i dont think Hitachi have made that short throw in 1080p yet.

Also do the lasers get placed around the table or are they intergrated into the box?

anyway i love the concept an can really see this sort of portible presentation tech finding a place in the market.

Cheerio!

Signature 

}---)))@

V JAY!  http://www.v-lux.net LASER tut http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/6407/

Architectural Technician and Building Surveys

http://www.jpgainsfordassociates.com

Posted: 06 July 2009 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-18

@jimi: I admit the concept has similarities with the play anywhere project and with the GestureTek floorprojector - but I didn’t know that until halfway through the project. However the GestureTek is not as accurate as this concept. The play anywhere concept is probably the next step for this concept.

If we look even further in the future this concept will become obsolete, since we will find smart surfaces everywhere. Until then, this concept can bridge the gap between the present and future.

@aj: I’ve been handling the case too and from test locations many times. This meant carrying the case over bumpy streets etc. (well if it was too bumpy, I would have to lift it up). Until now the system has survived all the ordeals. If I had a car transportation would have been easier since it would only be needed to roll the case from parking lots to buildings and within the building itself (which are bump friendly roads).
The prototype contains a sprung suspension to protect the projector from most bumps, but hard bumps should really be avoided. Luckily the projector cools in 30 seconds, which makes the waiting time before transport really short.

Drawing and annotation on the screen is planned with use of wireless pens (Anoto for example (actually bad example since these require special paper, but there are similar pens which don’t need this)) These enable higher resolution annotation information which can be stored onto the CAD files as vectorized information.

In the proposed concept the lasers should be integrated into the case, but I planned for a future version (if it gets further development) to ditch LLP.

Signature 

my work

Posted: 13 July 2009 03:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-07-13
Total Posts:  1

Hi, HyPe!

Amazing job there! Congratulations on your master. I’m very curious that if there is no webcam under the touch surface,which appeared like this, how can CCV detect the blobs?

My email:ethan.lixin@gmail.com

Posted: 13 July 2009 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-18

Putting a camera under the surface would render the system useless for opaque tables on which you would place it.
The camera is mounted in the lid providing front surface detection of touches.

Signature 

my work

Posted: 13 July 2009 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-07
Total Posts:  88

Great Job Hype.
Congratulations.

You talk about LLP: so setting up includes, open the case, connect the computer and startup software and someway of laser calibration? where are the lasers?

Posted: 13 July 2009 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-18

The lasers are (should be) integrated in the feet of the suitcase.
In this version the projector is fixed, when placing the case on the surface you will always have the same orientation. So you should only need to calibrate one time.

Prototype wise I wasn’t able to fit in the lasers in the feet on time for the presentation. Furthermore in my evaluation I concluded that fitting in the lasers at the feet of the case would make these components very vulnerable to shocks etc. The solution I have to that is to supply separate components which you place flat on the surface connecting it to the USB for power, this way you can store away the lasers safely.

Signature 

my work

Posted: 14 July 2009 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-07
Total Posts:  88

Nice.

Do you plan to develop it further? or was just a working prototype you where aiming at?

Posted: 22 August 2009 02:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-09
Total Posts:  1495
Administrator

Whats the size of the display?

Signature 

~

Posted: 22 August 2009 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-18

@behem0t: The concept is developed into a usable prototype, which I believe is still used by the company. Any further developments are done by the company.

@Christian: The maximum size is 60 inch. But when the meeting table is smaller than 60 inch, the projector can be lowered in the case, which allows smaller sizes.

Signature 

my work

Posted: 02 March 2010 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-15
Total Posts:  1

Erik Nordenankar has fessed up, (possibly a bit of gentle pressure from DHL?) admitting that the piece is a graduation project on his Advertising and Graphic Design course: “This is a fictional work. DHL did not transport the GPS at any time. DHL has kindly allowed me to film parts of their facilities and distribution. This is a personal graduation project.”

Signature 

Dennymorison

Posted: 18 April 2010 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-01-03
Total Posts:  28

@HyPe!: your project Looks amazing!

very good tracking, wonder if you could tell me what kind lasers, what band, how much power.. i’m planning on building my own LLP based multi-touch and yours is great row model.
congrats!

Posted: 29 April 2010 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-18

780nm 10mw “lazorrs”, but with front projection it might be a better idea to do shadow occlusion detection as touchinputs, this way you eliminate the need for lasers.

Signature 

my work

1 of 2