Open Source PS3Eye DirectShow driver component
Posted: 20 July 2009 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-08
Total Posts:  342

After many requests from PS3Eye users about the PS3Eye DirectShow component I decided to release it as an open source component. Let me explain. When I wrote the PS3Eye DirectShow component I didn’t even dream that it is going to be used in so many applications. Naturally, it is very hard for me to test and debug this component under various circumstances and in all use cases. Many of you are skilled programmers and so frequently I got requests for the source code. While initially reluctant to release it due to the nature of the code (driver component code versus a normal application code), I truly believe in open source and that by releasing the code as an open source to the community, in time, it will only get better.

I do believe that openly sharing knowledge (source code) will eventually make this world a better place (I did it myself many times). While this is true, the work put in throughout the design and development process has a definite value. In order to satisfy both sides of the issue, I came up with the win-win model that I think is the best suited in this particular case - the communal donation. While giving a freedom to each one of you to donate any amount you think its appropriate, you will ultimately contribute to the code eventually being open source. In this way the source code will become a property of the community as a whole (which by the definition is an open source code).

Based on the research, design, development efforts and time spent on this project I estimate that its total value is $10,000.

Signature 

Computing is not about computers any more.  It is about living!

Code Laboratories
CL Studio Live - Video like never before
CL Eye Platform SDK

Posted: 21 July 2009 03:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-20
Total Posts:  215

good idea… just 99.9% left wink

Posted: 21 July 2009 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-03-15
Total Posts:  224

Is this the full sourcecode for the entire driver? or is it just the part that takes your driver and wraps it up as a DirectShow filter? and is it the most recent version you have been working on that supports multiple cameras?

Posted: 24 July 2009 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-08
Total Posts:  342
Pleh - 21 July 2009 04:34 AM

Is this the full sourcecode for the entire driver? or is it just the part that takes your driver and wraps it up as a DirectShow filter? and is it the most recent version you have been working on that supports multiple cameras?

Pleh, You are correct. The source code relates to the DirectShow component.
It will support multiple cameras as we will soon release the dual camera PS3Eye driver bundled with CCV.

~Alex

Signature 

Computing is not about computers any more.  It is about living!

Code Laboratories
CL Studio Live - Video like never before
CL Eye Platform SDK

Posted: 27 July 2009 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-03-15
Total Posts:  224

Sweet. Just Chipped In smile

Posted: 02 September 2009 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-01
Total Posts:  13

The event has ended?

Posted: 03 September 2009 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-07-07
Total Posts:  27

Alex, this is a great idea (releasing the code, and making sure you are compensated for your work).

Unfortunately, I don’t know if there are enough people who are both interested in the PS3Eye and aware of this thread.

Let’s say one out of five people who have visited this thread are really interested and want to pitch in. That’s 100 people, and $100 each.

I feel like open source software is sometimes driven by mutual contribution. In other words, maybe you’ll be compensated in part by the developments other people make on top of what you’ve already done.

I hope you release the source. I also hope you feel compensated, however that happens.

Posted: 04 September 2009 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-01

I’m going to chip in but I have an idea.
The driver is really useful for the community if it is released and/or open-sourced. But everyone is waiting for someone to chip in and get the driver with no cost. It seems to be a bit unfair to those who already chipped in but getting nothing until the bar reached the end (hopefully).
How about Alex gives the driver (with or without the source) to those who chip in first? And release the source to the community after the bar reached the end? It makes sure the driver wouldn’t be wasted, everybody contributed are benefited and the bar will rise faster…

Posted: 04 September 2009 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-01

Oooops, I hadn’t seen the post, the driver is there:
http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/6903/

Chip in now smile