Dual Multi touch setup
Posted: 25 July 2009 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2009-07-23
Total Posts:  4

I have a friend that has two monitors, one he plays games, or has some program up, on the other he has a bunch of utilities running like Torrents, Ventrilo etc.

I was curious if anyone has tried such a set up with multiple multi touches and if it would be useful. For example, a large 50” touch vertical FTIR touch screen with a smaller 24” DI touch screen table top to the side and have a dual monitor style setup with programs largely being on the big screen and the side table for utilities and fiducials.

Maybe I misunderstand largely what fiducials can be helpful for. But if it is mostly dials, identification, etc. Can that be done on a side table? Does the same concept, that two monitors for different functions is better than one, transfer over to the idea that two multitouches for different functions is better than one?

Currently I’m looking at long time goals so I have a better idea of what I want to work on now. What do people think of having a FTIR screen and a DI table connected to a super computer that can handle the input?

Posted: 26 July 2009 02:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
Total Posts:  1897
Dedicated

I’ve also think of such idea but I havn’t try it yet.
I keep you in touch.

Signature 

One more but very useful blog : http://blog.cktouch.com/
Rear DI + Windows Seven = So Nice…

Posted: 26 July 2009 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
Dedicated

I’ve tried to extend the calibration screen of ccv on the two screens but I cant. I’ve tried to run two instances of ccv but calibration only work on master screen…
I gonna try to calibrate the master screen, then to switch the master screen for the slave screen and see if it could work…

Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2009 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-16
Total Posts:  127

it is possible to get a projecter splitter which extends the desktop accross two monitors(projectors) this is done by the splitter and not the computer ... i think the driving software enables you to change the screen res to some stupidly long width x normal hight (or i assume variations) ive seen it in use and it works well but unfortuanatly i did not note the brand or even the name of this majic box as at the time i wasn’t interested other than initial interest. i will try to find out what it is ... as the comp sees it as one monitor i dont see any reason why ccv would have a problem with it.

the concept of the MT dual surface seems very interestng and i think it’s usfulness is purly down to application design for such a surface

Signature 

http://www.crearedesign.co.uk/
http://www.creare.co.uk/
video jigsaw http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/6429/

Posted: 27 July 2009 04:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
Dedicated

then you’ll have two touch screen but with the same image…
we would like to find a way to do what is called under windows a extend desktop on two minitors (so two touch screen).

Signature 

Posted: 12 August 2009 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-08-11
Total Posts:  8

really good idea… I believe it would probably be necessary to set it up as two seperate interfaces both connected to the same pc. there shouldn’t be any issues with the projection but i’m not sure about the camera setup and how that would be read by the computer

Posted: 12 August 2009 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
Dedicated

no there is no issue about the projection or the camera, but the problem is with ccv for the moment as the calibration is only allowed for the main screen, but still sorking on that…

Signature 

Posted: 12 August 2009 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-08-11

ok i see well let me know we you get that resolved.

Posted: 01 September 2009 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-01
Total Posts:  2

Has there been any further development with this?  I too am try to use CCV extended across two screens.

Posted: 08 September 2009 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-08
Total Posts:  4

Hello,

I found a solution!

I had the same problem. For my setup I use 2 Optoma short throw projectors in a portrait position (to get a screen size of 3 meter by 2 meter, with a resultion of 1536 x 1024). But unfortunately ATI and Nvidia both don’t support monitor span across two portait (rotated) monitors.
But with use of Ultramon I found a solution for calibrating CCV over two monitors. The whole idea is to install Ultramon and define a hotkey for maximizing the window over the desktop. After entering the CCV calibrating mode, just hit that hotkey and the calibrating mode spreads across all monitors.

Good luck!
Roy

Posted: 01 August 2010 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-05-01
Total Posts:  18

Thanks, RoyDamgrave!

Ultramon Works just Great!!!

Posted: 19 August 2010 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-15
Total Posts:  1

Nvidia has a setting where the screen is actually stretched across both monitors, for one big screen, rather than having two screens be the quasi-independent as most people use them.

Posted: 22 August 2010 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-01
Total Posts:  20
russellfoxton - 26 July 2009 08:26 PM

it is possible to get a projecter splitter which extends the desktop accross two monitors(projectors) this is done by the splitter and not the computer ... i think the driving software enables you to change the screen res to some stupidly long width x normal hight (or i assume variations) ive seen it in use and it works well but unfortuanatly i did not note the brand or even the name of this majic box as at the time i wasn’t interested other than initial interest. i will try to find out what it is ... as the comp sees it as one monitor i dont see any reason why ccv would have a problem with it.

the concept of the MT dual surface seems very interestng and i think it’s usfulness is purly down to application design for such a surface

Matrox DualHead2Go I believe.  But Ultramon is a much better solution (assuming you use windows)

I think there is also a TripleHead2Go and possibly a QuadHead2Go.

Posted: 14 July 2011 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-07-09
Total Posts:  15

It is a great idea.
THANKS

Posted: 07 October 2011 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-10-27
Total Posts:  97

ATI Eyefinity.  Up to 6 screens arranged however you want.  It’s what we are currently using to span the 4 meters of a bar into a single image split across 4 projectors.  Calibration across all 4 screens works too.

Signature 

TouchMi Multitouch Bar

Posted: 16 December 2011 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-06

Comparison of multi-monitor software