Multitouch bar table with fiducials (reactivision) and touch recognition - Prototype from Italy
Posted: 15 October 2009 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-06
Total Posts:  30

Hello i’m italian and here is my prototype of a REAR DI multitouch table that could be used in a bar...it’s just a test/challenge i took with myselft to see what i was able to achieve with the materials i had at home…
I wanted to track and recognise the drinks that were put on the table with the use of fiducials, during the work i had some ideas and did some other things such as a music cube that let’s the user listen to some music, color cube: to change the background color, a glass “lamp” that will be light up when put on the table.

Ok, so here is

THE SETUP:
Frosted glass - used as projection surface and touch interface, has one side rough (the one where the image is projected) and one smooth and reflective (the one that has to be touched)
Sharp PG-B10S - Projector
Stardard 3mm Mirror
PS3 EYE webcam running at 640x480 30fps
48 IR LEDS - Specs. 850nm 140° 1.45V 50mA
48 IR LEDS - Specs. 850nm 60° 1.45V 50mA
The screen i obtained is more or less 46 x 36 cm but the camera could not see al the visible area..

PC USED:
Intel E6750 running at 2.67Ghz
4GB ram ddr2
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512mb
Windows XP SP3

SOFTWARE USED:
Reactivision - for both finger and fiducial recognition and tracking
FLOSC - to make reactivision interact with the flash swf file
Adobe Flash CS4 - for the visual interface
Adobe After Effects CS4 - for some visual effects

WHAT I MANAGED TO DO
As you can see from the video and the photos the system i built is very economic and very basic, i didn’t want to spend a lot of money so i used the materials i had home, i just bought the ir leds from an ebay uk seller and the ps3 webcam. At the beginning i used the floppy disk as visible light filter for the ps3 webcam but then i tried to use the ir led cover of an old remote control i had home (see photos for details)...this way the result got far better, this filter removes a lot more visible light than the floppy disk and i could get a more accurate tracking of fingers and fiducials.
I did not use a front surface mirror because i didn’t know where to get it and i heard that they cost a bit...infact i have a very clear ghosting effect.
As projection surface i used a piece of frosted glass i found home, this was not working very well because lets much visible light pass through it and was not a good projection surface, but was good enough to track fingers and fiducials!!
Also i think that i had to use more ir leds and i should have used only the 60° ones because they are far more powerfull than the 140° ones…

The visual interface was built using Flash CS4 and AS3 (many many many thanks to nacho that posted a tutorial on how to use fiducials—link here—http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/4125/ ), it has been very hard to configure and calibrate reactivision, infact as you can see the projected images don’t follow very well the fiducials on the table. I think that a calibration as CCV do would be a lot lot better than the one that is used in reactivision...i hope that CCV too will support fiducial recognition in the near future!

HD VIDEO

I have also added a video where i was testing some apps with CCV… it works very very well, it’s really very sensible to touch and very quick in following the finger movements (in the video some slow downs are due to the screen recording software).
I noticed a great improvement in CCV tracking when i changed the visible light filter from the floppy disk to the remote control filter and i was able to use the 640x480 60fps resolution instead of the 320x240 30fps that i was using with the floppy disk filter!!!!

HD VIDEO

Please comments and suggestions are very wellcome!!!
- What do you think about the ir leds visual angles and positions? You would have used the 60° or the 140°?
- What about the inside covering? it would have been better a white cover instead of that metal paper?

Here is a zip file with lots of high resolution photos of the setup, the visual interface and the reactivision and ccv setup!!
http://www.freshpatata.it/multitouch/freshpatata_multitouch_table.zip

Image Attachments
CIMG3857.jpgCIMG3869.jpgCIMG3870.jpgCIMG3872.jpgCIMG3875.jpgCIMG3884.jpgCIMG3885.jpg
 Signature 

Webdesign by http://www.freshpatata.it

Posted: 15 October 2009 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Total Posts:  2225
Dedicated

Lots like a really nice test setup you got there.  Rear DI setups are usually the setups where you figure out how much light you need inside by experimenting.  Your software was very beautifully done though smile congrats
I liked the ambient glowing bowl thing.

Signature 

MT Website - A Collection of the Most Relevant Multitouch Info From These Forums
Multitouch Blog
Multitouch Parts Store - Buy Infrared Touch Frames (No Camera Needed!), Complete Modified Cameras and DIY Upgrade Kits, m12/CS Mounts, m12/CS Lenses, Infrared Lasers, LEDs, etc

Posted: 15 October 2009 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-07-24
Total Posts:  27

Crash, nice looking software!!

Posted: 16 October 2009 01:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-09
Total Posts:  1499
Administrator

really clean work thanks for sharing crash… really inspiring to see a step closer in Flash smile

I especially love the design of the unique fiducial types like:

?ACT=28&fid=19&aid=4531_vFoVWoGSBbshHrZXhD2b

Signature 

~

Posted: 16 October 2009 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-06

Thank you guys, i’m really happy about your replies!

I hope that in the near future i can continue developing this project and maybe create a definitive multitouch table because i’m going to dismount mine in a few days (my parents don’t want to have all that mess around the house ehehe).

By the way i found some fiber optics from a led lamp a friend gave me some time ago and while i was at Ikea looking for some inspiration i found that frosted glass bowl and decided to attach the fibers to the bottom of the bowl...and here is how i built that lamp smile ...the bowl at Ikea costed only 5 euros more or less!!

if someone knows the answer: would u have used the 60° ir leds or the wide angles but less powerfull 140° ir leds???
(i’m trying to gather some more infos to build a better table next time!!)

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2009 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-07-13
Total Posts:  71

Hi crash,

The your apps look great, I hope you will do a better setup next time smile

I would go with bigger quantity 140 degree as they diffuse better the light and the light bounces inside the enclosure you get more even light and the tracker can easier track the fingers and the fudicals as they will be brighter, you will not get hot-spots and so on.

You can also get the same effect with the 60 degree led`s just if you diffuse them with a milky plexy or cheaper tracing paper…

It is a pleasure if I helped.

Posted: 16 October 2009 05:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-07-13
Total Posts:  71

@Peau & @Christian did you have a successful implementation or tracking of a glass or a bottle with CCV (you understand me without using a fudicals just by shape for simple animation)?

Posted: 16 October 2009 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-30
Total Posts:  67

great work, just like something I am wondering about building. love the software and ideas.
keep them coming.

Posted: 16 October 2009 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-06
Goran Gjorgoski - 16 October 2009 05:40 AM

I would go with bigger quantity 140 degree as they diffuse better the light and the light bounces inside the enclosure you get more even light and the tracker can easier track the fingers and the fudicals as they will be brighter, you will not get hot-spots and so on.

You can also get the same effect with the 60 degree led`s just if you diffuse them with a milky plexy or cheaper tracing paper…

Sure it helped!!! thanks very much

@Leffa --> please let me know if you do something similar i’m very curious!!!!

Signature 

Posted: 12 January 2010 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-11-25
Total Posts:  2

Hello Crash!
I was wondering if you got that tutorial about how to use fiducials, ‘cause i can
get it anywhere. (even in the link above)

Thanks. Hello Crash!
I was wondering if you got that tutorial about how to use fiducials, ‘cause i can
get it anywhere. (even in the link above)

Thanks.

Posted: 12 January 2010 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-06

just copy and past this on your browser and should work!

http://nuigroup.com/?ACT=28&fid=33&aid=2331_YRnAKpkLD5JE4Ma7Rzzt

Signature 

Posted: 22 March 2010 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-20
Total Posts:  1

I recently done my master in Business Administration and now days I want to do some online Microsoft certifications like MCSA MCSE Oracle java etc and I Found this online notes is a best helping source to get online accurate information which is more helpful for my preparation.

Signature 

pistalai

Posted: 18 April 2011 05:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-01-29
Total Posts:  6

@Crash, really nice work!! Is there any tutorial on how to use fiducials for when you used them under the drinks, so it tells you what type of drinks? So i can learn how to input the data. Thanks

Posted: 02 December 2011 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-11-27
Total Posts:  81

Hey Crash, nice work there. I did see a frosted table at a office store near home, table cost about $99. But my concern is how well the camera would be able to see finger prints.

I’m looking to build a very similar design to that.

Signature 

iTrooper

ATTENTION AUSTRALIANS: Please visit this post and report in, We’re trying to gather up ALL the NUI members/users of Australia for friendship and collaboration.

Posted: 02 March 2017 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-06-06
Total Posts:  1

good job !