How to make a popular software like photoshop multitouch? 
Posted: 20 September 2007 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-20
Total Posts:  11

Hi all!

I would like to ask if the only solution of making an application(photoshop, warcraft, etx) multitouch is to program some C++ and run it with the software? Like touchlib maybe?

Thanks Guys!

Cheers!

Posted: 20 September 2007 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-08-07
Total Posts:  66

If you look around for starcraft on the forums here, I think they talk about faking multitouch using macros. As for actually making the program multitouch, that wont happen without source code. So, perhaps for something like photoshop, you could use an opensource clone, like GIMP and modify that to support multitouch. I would suspect that would be quiet a difficult project though..

Posted: 21 September 2007 12:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-20

Thanks Ethical.

but earlier to your response ive encountered a thread like this one...http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/622/

i dunoo if this will work.

any way, do you have a link to a source for starcraft macros?

tnx

Posted: 21 September 2007 03:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-16
Total Posts:  40

Problem is that especially with photoshop you want to use the right-mouse button and probably presure sensitivity… (and lots more of course) Mouse-emulators don’t do stuff like that. So you might want to program a kind of overlay which can do stuff like that. But my guess is that it is much easier at the moment to mod a program like the GIMP to do that…

Posted: 21 September 2007 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-20

now i have to modify:(… but i will try to see gimp of course. tnx Arno

Posted: 28 September 2007 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-14
Total Posts:  14

I have also been wondering how it could be done. The fundamental problem is really that conventional applications like Photoshop are constructed to recieve serial input - one thing at a time. An optimal solution would certanly be that multi touch was embedded in the OS, and I bet both Microsoft and Apple are working on it. But until the realization of at fully functional multi touch OS, we must find our own solutions.

The simplest way I can think of is to simulate multi touch with mouse events. This could be done by doing the following: When a touch is recieved, create a mouse pointer and make a left click. Think of it in this way: youre fingers are the cursors, and as long as you don’t touch the surface, you are just moving the cursors around like moving the mouse around, without clicking. When you touch the surface it means that you want to manipulate something. Translated into mouse events it is a left click.

It is indeed possible to do this sort of hacks. Check out TactaPad with is a hybrid between a trackpad and a multi touch screen (I really wonder why they didn’t make it a screen...maybe because of the tactile feedback) - TactaPad - Here they are creating several pointers in Mac OS X. As far as I can see it is only in their own constructed application that it is possible to do things simultaniously.

Maybe something like ManyMouse or CPN Mouse could be used. I’ve read somewhere that TouchLib can simulate mouse events, but I havn’t tried to figure out how. Anyone?

Also check this:

multigesture.net

and

Microsoft Windows MultiPoint SDK CTP 2

If someone has some constructive ideas on how to fiddle with some of these bricks, please do bring’em on wink

Signature 

http://rasimu.dk/thesis
Screen Method: Diffuse Illumination with Infra red lamp on camera side

Hardware, Dell Dimension 4550, CPU: 2 GHz Pentium 4, RAM: 768 MB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 (64 MB memory), Camera: Phillips SPC900NC, IR Leds: CCTV 140 LED IR, acryllic surface
Software: TouchLib (Newest compiled version of TouchLib), Demo Flash applications with Flash Player 9

Posted: 28 September 2007 04:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-20

wow tactapad is cool eh. hope we can have it a test in the future. by the way there`s a JAVA toolkit also i just stumbled upon today, the DiamondSpin

Here`s the Link. Think its cool also:

hmmm

Of course, Tdesk of Laurence Muller is very cool also. unfortunately, its not available anymore :-(

Posted: 28 September 2007 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-04-03
Total Posts:  241

not available anymore? it hasnt been made public yet wink.

+ my C&C3mt app is just a hack of mouse like events aswell…

Signature 

My multitouch blog: http://www.multigesture.net
Howto: Compile touchlib on windows XP/Vista
Howto: Compile touchlib on Ubuntu Linux
Downloads: Touchlib SVN builds

Posted: 02 October 2007 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-20

hahaha! snake

I should rephrase my words… should be…

Of course, Tdesk of Laurence Muller is very cool also. Please share Laurence… thanks! Cheers!

EDIT: Hi Laurence. I just read your email today and thank you for your response. im sure a lot of people are waiting also for the binary. thanks again.