Windows 7/C# Software stack confustion
Posted: 12 November 2009 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2009-11-12
Total Posts:  5

Howdy all,
First off I am a bit of a newbi here, but I’ve read thru the Multi-touch books and gotten the hardware design stuff figured out (working out the final details on a 42” DSI setup).. So now I am turning to the software stack.. Here is where I am getting a bit confused..  Specificly what I am looking to do is build something that works with the MS Multi-touch framework inside windows 7 and also supports tags.. Given that Fiducials only support 217 symbles I am actually looking to roll my own or port some C# code that handles QR codes..  ]

This brings me to my two questions..

1) What does the software stack really look like as far as video stream->[app1]->[interface/protocal]->[app2]-> mouse event.. (I’ve looked all over the place but a good sequence diagram or even high level architectual overview is all but unfindable (by me)… From what I can tell (with Multitouchvista) its video stream ->TUIO provider -> TUIO Protocal -> Multitouchvista->Mouse event. With TUIO Protocal acting as a physical/process boundry between the provider and Multitouchvista, but its all still very fuzzy to me..

2) If one was going to roll his own Tag finder/tracker where in the stack would it go? can it be done in the Managed side of things or should it be handled by the touch provider?

Thanks in advance
Josh

Posted: 12 November 2009 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-31
Total Posts:  95
Hands - 12 November 2009 02:30 PM

Howdy all,
First off I am a bit of a newbi here, but I’ve read thru the Multi-touch books and gotten the hardware design stuff figured out (working out the final details on a 42” DSI setup).. So now I am turning to the software stack.. Here is where I am getting a bit confused..  Specificly what I am looking to do is build something that works with the MS Multi-touch framework inside windows 7 and also supports tags.. Given that Fiducials only support 217 symbles I am actually looking to roll my own or port some C# code that handles QR codes..  ]

This brings me to my two questions..

1) What does the software stack really look like as far as video stream->[app1]->[interface/protocal]->[app2]-> mouse event.. (I’ve looked all over the place but a good sequence diagram or even high level architectual overview is all but unfindable (by me)… From what I can tell (with Multitouchvista) its video stream ->TUIO provider -> TUIO Protocal -> Multitouchvista->Mouse event. With TUIO Protocal acting as a physical/process boundry between the provider and Multitouchvista, but its all still very fuzzy to me..

2) If one was going to roll his own Tag finder/tracker where in the stack would it go? can it be done in the Managed side of things or should it be handled by the touch provider?

Thanks in advance
Josh

1. It’s Video Stream > interface/protocol > app > touch events

2. It’s pretty much the video/tag tracker that would handle tags, by the time you get to the app, you only get the events firing, not the actual image.

Rick

Signature 

Building a Rear DI / LLP LCD table, in progress at: http://blogs.compdj.com/category/Multitouch.aspx

Posted: 03 March 2015 03:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2015-02-10
Total Posts:  2

I am a developer of qrcode barcode using c#.net.Good developers who are familiar with the entire stack know how to make life easier for those around them. This is why I’m so against silos in the work place. Sure, politics and communication challenges get in the way in large organizations. I think the point Facebook is going for with their hiring policy is, if smart people use their heads and their hearts, a better product gets built in less time.