1 of 2
MS Surface Auto-view of Pics from Digital Cameras
Posted: 26 September 2007 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-20
Total Posts:  11

Hi Guys!

Good day to You all.

Is the Client demonstrated by Jeff Han(MS Surface) that auto-views Pictures from Digital Cameras, available for Public? Because this is so cool. And also the player that has the play button at the center is also Public? Or is this the youtube API? Thanks. Cheers!

Posted: 26 September 2007 07:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-13
Total Posts:  365

no,neither of those are public. jeff han and m$ surface are two completely different things. have a look at falcon4ever’s multimedia flash app at http://www.multigesture.net that already does the basics.

Signature 

the all new Multitouch South Africa http://www.multitouchsa.co.za
those that say it can’t be done shouldn’t interrupt those doing it

Posted: 26 September 2007 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-08
Total Posts:  1008

no they are not public (yet), but you can try programming it yourself though, i heard falcon is busy with something like this as well as other people.
Jeff Han doesnt do auto view pics from digi cams (at least i havent seen that) and i havent seen Jeff Han present anything on MS Surface

Posted: 26 September 2007 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

No, that’s not the same guy. I don’t think the guy from instructables is apart of nuigroup or at least hasn’t mentioned it. I haven’t seen Jeff Han’s photo app be able to download from a camera either. Falcon’s flash app may be just what you’re looking for like they said. The adobe AIR version of the media app (pro version) is supposed to download any pictures from plug and play devices (like a camera). It didn’t work on my computer, but does on most other peoples.

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 27 September 2007 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-20

tnx cerupcat. and sorry about the Jeff Han, it was my first time to encounter the technology. it was Nigel Keam from microsoft who was making the demo and glenn derene reported. Sorry again guys, wrong page, :D.

Posted: 27 September 2007 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-25
Total Posts:  84

The way Microsoft Surface gets pictures from a camera is quite simple. Though they never mention it. The camera needs bluetooth. So does the cellphone… That’s the limitation of their table. And of course with the right knowledge you can use a bluetooth library in your program that connects to a camera, cell phone if you detected a shape on your table…

Same thing for paying the bill… They don’t show you anything. Because you need to enter your credit card code when paying the bill… Otherwise anyone could be paying with your card at that table…

That’s allways the way micro$oft will show it to us, and that’s the way they allways did show it to us. XP and Vista looked fabulous products in their movies, but when tested, not more then a second hand car…

EDIT: You could ask yourself why Microsoft Surface is so expensive… Well. If you want that sharp image they have at their table, then you need a very good projector! Microsoft uses a projector, 4 camera’s, and a DI-IR source… Easy setup, but expensive when good… And don’t forget their sh*tfull software everybody can write for it…

Signature 

http://www.michaelvanderheeren.be/

Posted: 27 September 2007 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-13
Total Posts:  365

yes, bluetooth and wifi. also all those objects have a fiducial marker underneath it (they call it domino) so it can be uniquely identified on the table

Signature 

the all new Multitouch South Africa http://www.multitouchsa.co.za
those that say it can’t be done shouldn’t interrupt those doing it

Posted: 27 September 2007 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-20

@SoniX…
yeah i think thats the components on that surface, making it expensive. so any c++ programmer can do a lib for a bluetooth?or a wifi? if so I cant w8, coz im no programmer, im just a fan of the surface

@donovan
fiducial marker? so gadgets on top are pre-determined before they made the demo?but its cool eh. i cant imagine some glass of wine translated to 3d images of tiny drops. Also the thing that makes pieces of shaped papers on a table 3d images on a screen. oh boy. but im sure in the future, there will be like these apps for the public. im gonna contact some programmers that i know right now, hehe.

Posted: 08 October 2007 12:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-20

Hi again guys.

im just thinking. im no programmer but if it`s possible to have a communication between the bluetooth and the camera or wifi+camera, then is it possible also for touchlib to call on some .inf files or drivers of some mobilephones for example. coz i think these drivers(.inf) have infos on how mobile gadgets communicate with the pc. Of maybe with some of the gadgets` .ini/.sys files telling touchlib where to communicate(initial path) and what type of communication(wifi?bluetooth?).

If this is possible, then we can gather all .inf`s in the world for each of known gadgets… rolleyes

do i make any sense?i dunno. just imagining, hehe.

thanks again guys.

Posted: 30 October 2007 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-10-28
Total Posts:  4

i think thats will need do other app in linux or windows

1st. to recognize a cam or cellphone
2nd to get the content.

and call this app inside engine touchlib

Hi guys, i’m new here, and i start make my table this week.

I stay find some products to do this in brazil

CYA

Posted: 27 March 2008 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-03-17
Total Posts:  16
SoniX - 27 September 2007 01:56 PM

The way Microsoft Surface gets pictures from a camera is quite simple. Though they never mention it. The camera needs bluetooth. So does the cellphone… That’s the limitation of their table. And of course with the right knowledge you can use a bluetooth library in your program that connects to a camera, cell phone if you detected a shape on your table…

Same thing for paying the bill… They don’t show you anything. Because you need to enter your credit card code when paying the bill… Otherwise anyone could be paying with your card at that table…

That’s allways the way micro$oft will show it to us, and that’s the way they allways did show it to us. XP and Vista looked fabulous products in their movies, but when tested, not more then a second hand car…

EDIT: You could ask yourself why Microsoft Surface is so expensive… Well. If you want that sharp image they have at their table, then you need a very good projector! Microsoft uses a projector, 4 camera’s, and a DI-IR source… Easy setup, but expensive when good… And don’t forget their sh*tfull software everybody can write for it…

Hello Sr. Member ,

I was wondering… instead using a projector, just use a big LCD screen! It would be much more cheaper and you dont need to change the lens. If micro$oft uses a projector, then after one year using it, you will have to change it lens… while LCD not.

Signature 

Williams
http://wgfarias.blogspot.com

Posted: 27 March 2008 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-11
Total Posts:  253

not lens, but a bulb (?)

Signature 

My Blog: http://zviangi.blogspot.com with pictures and videos ....text in Georgian
22" LCD DSI coffee table
58" DI Table
FTIR table (my 1st) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR90jjZNs8s

Posted: 29 April 2008 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-11
Total Posts:  97

Sorry for bringing this old thread back in, but my reply is related.

I just saw this video on popularmechanics (again), to get a hint on how Microsoft make object recognition. I think it’s quite clear in the movie (around 2:30), that they are NOT using fiducial markers or dominotags or the likes on the objects placed. I’m pretty stumbled by this, as bluetooth/wifi is only telling WHAT the table is communicating with- not WHERE those are located. Is their camera-setup really treating the object itself as a marker, it looks up in a database of some sort?

Posted: 29 April 2008 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-10
Total Posts:  139

They have said time and again that they use fiducial markers to identify objects on the table.

Posted: 29 April 2008 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-11
Total Posts:  97

Well, if you can see a marker placed in that movie, I’d very much like to know…

Posted: 29 April 2008 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-22
Total Posts:  263

Entity , it was a controled demo , it could have been by shadow , or something else but there are a few MS videos that use this app , and have fiducial markers on them.
MS calls them dominos , you can see them here http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewreply/9197/

1 of 2