The difference between a gesture and a manipulation
Posted: 27 December 2009 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-27
Total Posts:  4

Hi, new to the community here and I want to post a few hot topics to see the conversation. In reply to the errors that have been made in recent books about the subject, I posted a comment about the defining characteristics between the two.

I think this definition is at the very core of design and ux in the modern nui-based world.

I would love to get any feedback you have, or differing opinions as well.

http://blog.rongeorge.com/design/interaction-design/terminology-the-difference-between-a-gesture-and-a-manipulation/

Signature 

http://rongeorge.com/
http://blog.rongeorge.com/
Currently writing a book “Designing Modern Experiences” about nui design principles and design patterns

NUI User Experience Consulting and Design
former Microsoft Advanced Design Team and Microsoft Surface

Posted: 27 December 2009 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

Welcome Ron, it’s great to have you!

I’ll be reading over your article shortly with a better response, but I agree that there’s definitely a blurring of the lines between gesture and manipulation and often people have more often been using the two interchangeably which I think distorts the thought process and results. Jeff Han gave a nice speech about this subject not long ago. Hopefully i’ll have more/better feedback after reading your article.

Once again, welcome and hope to hear/see more from you! :D

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Posted: 30 December 2009 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-04
Total Posts:  93

Wow, it seems that people are really passionate about these issues.

Dan Saffer, who wrote Designing Gestural Interfaces, just responded to Ron’s blog.  Ron has been calling out Dan for using incorrect definitions of gestures in his book.

The funny thing is that Dan gets a quite mad about it and links to a paper by Bill Buxton (generally considered the leading industry expert in User Experience and multi-touch) where Bill defines gestures in the same way that Ron does, contradicting himself.

Signature 

Joshua Blake
Co-founder & VP of Engineering, Orbbec
http://www.orbbec3d.com

Posted: 05 August 2011 02:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-08-02
Total Posts:  5

There are 4 primary differences between a gesture and a manipulation and they are easily classified.

Manipulations
1.Contextual – they only happen at specific location(s) or on specific object(s)
2.React immediately – there is a direct correlation in cause and effect between your interaction and the system (this does not include visual affordance)
3.Can be single state, but are usually 3 or more states ( see Bill Buxton’s paper on Chunking and Phrasing )
4.Direct (could possibly be considered indirect by way of augmenting your actual interactions with the reaction of the system) – your actions directly affect the system, object, or experience in some way

Gestures

1.Not contextual – they can be anywhere in the system in location and time
2.The system waits for the series of events to complete to decide on how to react (again, this does not include visual affordance)
3.They contain at least 2 states
4.Indirect – they do not affect the system directly according to your action. Your action is symbolic in some way that issues a command, statement, or state.

Signature 

ece final year projects

Posted: 05 August 2011 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Total Posts:  2539
Dedicated

Great and insightful first post alita. smile

Signature 

MTmini, MTbiggie, & Audiotouch creator & Community Core Vision Co-founder

Follow on:
My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube