GSoC Proposal Draft: Augmented Mirror
Posted: 05 April 2010 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-01
Total Posts:  13

Hi all,

Here is another GSoC proposal. It is called Augmented Mirror. In short, it is to use a one-way mirror with 3D reconstruction/tracking to achieve augmented reality. The user sit in front of the mirror and interact with the contents which are projected from the back of the mirror (to the mirror surface).

The detailed proposal draft can be viewed at: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dhnrb7vw_208gpz2r7fr
Some in-progress photo/video: http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy-li/sets/72157622749828133/

It is actually my current final year project but I want to continue(potential PhD research topic) and open source it. A very basic prototype will be finished on May and I will use the summer to refactor the codes, let it become a toolkit of building other Augmented Mirror (especially the 3D reconstruction part). Also I want to try integrate multitouch in it (using Laser Light Plane Illumination or Rear Diffused Illumination).

Hope to hear what you think smile

Cheers,
Andy

Posted: 06 April 2010 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-03-26
Total Posts:  144

Hi, just went thought your pic gallery, I am not understand well enough (1) I only saw your projector underneath the mirror, but where do you have your cam to capture real time (2) you said you only use one one-way mirror, how is possible to show full image from the front view without employ second mirroe

Thanks

Posted: 06 April 2010 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
Total Posts:  183

I’m a little torn on how I feel about this idea; I’ve seen similar ideas before (usually conceptual). On the one hand I don’t think I’d want to see myself in a mirror the whole time I’m using a system, but on the other hand using a mirror is so cool! I don’t think I’d want to use such a device for every day use though, seems like we’d only be naturally in front of a mirror for a few minutes a day, not long enough to do anything useful.

VERY nice proposal though! I think the idea of using 3D glasses / augmented reality technology on a vertically-oriented display is a fantastic idea, though I’d be curious to see how you would integrate that with the reflected image already on the mirror.

Signature 

Visit my research blog at:
http://cs.unk.edu/~webb/

Posted: 06 April 2010 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-01

@uncledj

Thanks for your respond!

1. At the time I was taking the photos, the cameras have not been installed yet. They are placed on the top of the front mirror. They are shown (with photo) in the proposal that you can take a look.
2. For a one way mirror, it is able to show the projection on its back (with a back-projection surface mounted on it), at the same time showing the reflected image on the front. You may think of the whole thing as a super reflective monitor(CRT maybe?).

@h4t

Thanks for your appreciation smile
The main inspiration is from litstudios’ Interactive-Mirror( http://blog.litstudios.com/index.php?/archives/14-Interactive-Mirror.html ). The main different is I’m using 3D tracking and emphasized on AR.

I’m agree with you that it seems not so suitable to be used as normal computer display. I myself is seeing it more as a special hardware that can be used in some specified propose. For example, to use it as a tool of playing magic, medium of interactive installation or more serious hardware that let ppl practice dancing/musical instrument or teach ppl how to wear safety equipment.

However 3D tracking/reconstruction is really hard to me. I’m now getting a very low-res mesh and the position isn’t very accurate…

Posted: 07 April 2010 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-09
Total Posts:  1493
Administrator

Wow great project Andy Li - I really hope this gets submitted as a full proposal to Google.

Signature 

~

Posted: 10 April 2010 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-09-21
Total Posts:  120

Very nice project !

Posted: 11 April 2010 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-01

@Christian Moore