5 of 5
Ideas for my next DSI project / Object Recognition + LCD (LED) TV
Posted: 06 October 2010 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-15
Total Posts:  419

As I mentioned before, I was using some thin film mylar to test this concept not long ago, with the film on the bottom of the stack it sagged.  What I’m thinking to do is use some AR or MarkBoard (92% Transparency to add a semblance of rigidity to the bottom most layer.  It will depend on the flexibility of the film I can acquire.  If the film doesn’t stretch over time, then I can just stretch it once, attach it to the bottom layer and call it done.  This still doesn’t entirely resolve the endlighten as a backlight problem, but it might help make it more feasible.

Signature 

Personal MT Blog
Mesa Mundi Inc. and Online Store

Posted: 07 October 2010 02:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-31
Total Posts:  181

@grimjack2600:
Great! keep on good work!
can you give me a link to that foil?

greez

JonnyB

Signature 

There are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

Posted: 07 October 2010 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-15

@JonnyB: Yes, soon as I’ve established that one of the manufactures I’ve contacted are interested in this kind of sale.  Most of these foil places are looking to sell to small organizations like NASA rather then the larger market like.. well, us.  (Wait, that was backward right in some way right wink)

Signature 

Personal MT Blog

Posted: 07 October 2010 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-09-12
Total Posts:  121

This is some information i’ve been exchanging with my brother who is a physicist:  This is his input but he does not specialize in optics....but from reading you can see he has a good idea of whats going on

“I don’t think that will work.  Think of diffused light as a source of two polarized light sources, each of which is polarized at perpendicular (right angles) to each other.  The LCD has a thin film glued to it which eliminates one of those polarized sources. This eliminates 50% of your light and leaves all of the light passing through it polarized in only one direction.  The individual lcd crystals simply eliminate a portion of the polarized light depending on the voltage applied to that crystal, thus you lose 0-50% more light, depending on the voltage. The lcd crystal is simply another polarizer.  Then the light passes through one of three filters, red, green, or blue ( thus eliminating another 66% of the light that is left).  At most, you will get only 33% of the light incident on the screen passing through the lcd.  But this is not 33% of the light source. Remember that most of the light from the light source radiates AWAY from the screen because the light source radiates light radially in a circular pattern.  For my home made projector, I need a 40,000 lumen light source to get 100 lumens onto the screen. This means I lose 99.75% of my light from my light source. If the light is diffused then it would be even worst. “

Remember this is a brief, we only spoke in email like once or twice a lot of the CONTEXT does not mean this will not work. We spoke merly in theory. I say it still worth a try

Posted: 08 October 2010 01:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-15

Thanks for that.

I’ve been researching along similar lines.  My wife is a physicist as well.  She seems to think it likely that this will work based on the observations we’ve made of what is visible though the LCD panel by the IR camera.  The key here is to establish a backlight which is transparent to the IR while bright enough to illuminate the LCD.  That’s where the magic is.

So, yes, I’ll still follow up with the thin film process.  It may not work for various reasons, but this is a line of inquiry worth pursuing.

Signature 

Personal MT Blog

Posted: 08 October 2010 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-09-12
Total Posts:  121

I agree, let me know where you plan on getting the foil. Ill help test this...if they need a bigger order let me know we can pitch on it. IF it works its ef a big step for LCD MT touch technology

Posted: 29 May 2011 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-14
Total Posts:  25

Any news?

Posted: 29 May 2011 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-15

Sorry for abandoning the thread.  The Mylar did not work as well as would have liked. First the image was dimmed to much, second, the background was still visible through the Mylar, third, I’ve moved on to experiments with thin film rear projection materials.  My sample plates are ready and the LCD is “in the mail”; soon as these parts are all gathered, I’ll post the results. I promise!

Signature 

Personal MT Blog

Posted: 29 November 2017 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-09-25
Total Posts:  162

that’s cool!! it works well !!

Signature 

http://www.mt2a.com

Multi-touch Solution and Equipment Supplier!

5 of 5