PQ Labs G3 with 6 fingers
Posted: 13 May 2010 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Joined  2010-01-20
Total Posts:  16

Hello,

I am trying to buy a PQ Labs G3 with 6 fingers. Did anyone tried this device?
I want to know if:

1. It is responsive to touch (i have seen movies that presented it in both ways- good and bad)?
2. Does it have a problem with ghost fingers?
3. How sensitive to external light is? (The movie from the site is made in a room with light)
4. What other problems did you encounter with this device.

Hope i get some response so I would know on what i will spend my money.
If you have some movies or something please post them.

Ciprian

Posted: 13 May 2010 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-09
Total Posts:  491

have a look:
http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/8940/

i saw one of the PQLabs frames and tried it…

how much does it cost ?

Signature 

My DSI Project:

DSI Table
Proj.Surface: 7D006 on top
2x PS3 Camera from Peau with 850BF & 3.6mm lense
Endlightend XXL (10mm)with 850nm LED strip

Projector: SANYO DWL100 ~ 950€

PC:
Core i5, 8GB Ram, HD5850

Posted: 14 May 2010 02:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-01-20

The sample one 1950$

Posted: 24 June 2010 03:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-09
Total Posts:  4

I actually played with 3 PQ Tables:
- a G2 (which is no more on the market)
- a G3 Basic (only 6 fingers tracking)
- a G3 (up to 32 fingers)

I implemented softwares using TUIO/AS3 and a bridge udp/flashlc.

The first one died we don’t know how nor why…
The second one works very well (but was installed few days ago).
The third one already had a problem (installation was done a month ago).

The first point to say about this hardware is that it actually depends on the luminosity… The 32 fingers tracker is more concerned by this problem than the 6 one. But when I say “luminosity”, I mean sun: you may run your app on the table with some light, but if it’s too sunny, then the hardware starts to be useless… (I was looking for some information on this topic when I saw your thread).

With this in mind, I can answer your questions:
1- Yes, I have no problem when I touch the screen… But as all trackers, there is a limit when 2 touches are too near from each other. (I noticed that the 6 fingers tracker worked better than the 32 one concerning this distance!!)
2- I don’t know what is “ghost fingers”.... A quick search on the net gave ma some examples, but I don’t know how you can handle this concept with the PQ Table!
3- Done! I suppose that IR sensors are sun sensitive (and may be heat?!)
4- As I said, the first table (G2) died… But this may be because of our windows, the sun, the heat, etc… An other problem is the leak of information on their website… But their support is quite good!

To conclude with my feelings: I think that this hardware is good “indoor” solution, and works pretty well.

I hope that this helps you.
William.

Posted: 24 June 2010 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-01-20

One week ago we have received the G3 Basic with 6 fingers. It works very well. There are some problems when you try to use gestures on two objects from the screen (using Snowflake or PqLabs Launcher), but i think this can be resolved through software. It moves quite nice.

Indeed there is a sun problem, so the screen should not be placed near windows. There is no problem in a room in the daylight.

Ciprian

Posted: 05 August 2010 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-02
Total Posts:  22

what about if the room full of lights like in a showroom or exhibition where the use halogen lights or tengstine light , is it working well?
do u think it worth the money that u pay?
also which one is more stable and better in terms of ambient light LLP or the pqlabs 6 touches one?

Regards

Posted: 07 August 2010 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-28
Total Posts:  5

In terms of ambient light, the early version of PQLabs’s G3 is similar to LLP. It can only be used indoor without strong sunlight or strong halogen light.

The second version of PQLabs’s G3 has been improved dramatically since May. It can be used near a window in a sunny day without a problem. It can be used in a showroom, exhibition or a TV studio (where a lot of spot lights are shining towards the touch screen). A high-powered 300 Watt halogen light (full of infrared and heat) from 1.5 meters away has no negative impact on the new G3 touch screen (currently, no other LLP, DI, FTIR, Optical multi-touch solutions can withstand such a harsh infrared interference).

Posted: 07 August 2010 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-02
Total Posts:  22

well then it’s nice.. thank u greenland for this info, i really appreciate ur reply

Posted: 14 August 2010 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-11
Total Posts:  253

what is the technology/principle used in these screens?  how do they work? does anybody know?

Signature 

My Blog: http://zviangi.blogspot.com with pictures and videos ....text in Georgian
22" LCD DSI coffee table
58" DI Table
FTIR table (my 1st) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR90jjZNs8s